Saturn Sky Forum banner

Very frustrated with aftermarket Onstar interface...

5K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  mstrjon32 
#1 ·
Earlier this year I installed a Pioneer DEH-80PRS in my Sky. I installed it using an Axxess GMOS-LAN-04 integration kit. Since then I have been dealing with a parasitic drain and chronically dead battery, and I'm getting really frustrated.

I read some comments on the web stating that some versions of the GMOS-LAN-04 had a defect where the 12V switched circuit for the amplifier would always be on. Before I pull apart the dashboard again, I tested this out by removing the fuse for the amplifier. I left it out for a few days and then got back in the car and it started right up. But then, today, I get in and the battery is totally, completely flat. Not even a click from the starter when I turned the key.

At this point, my battery is probably shot from this abuse. But, before I replace it, what are my other options? There is the PAC C2R-GM11, which won't retain Onstar, but since I am in Europe Onstar is of absolutely no use to me. The other problem I have with this adapter is it wants speaker-level inputs, not pre-amp inputs. I would really rather not use speaker level inputs.

Has anyone wired in an adapter, using pre-amp inputs, and been happy with the results and not suffered constant battery drain? I'm almost at the point where I want to rip out the adapter and stock equipment entirely, and just replace everything with aftermarket equipment.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd start by calling up Axxess and getting a revised/replaced harness there.

The other options sound like more trouble - even if you have to take the radio out to pull the harness and swap it.

#3 ·
First, how sure are you that the Access is to blame? It could be that your battery was dying, and the Access install was just a coincidence(?)

Secondly - this thread title is confusing... what does this have to do with OnStar?

#4 ·
TomatoSoup, that is entirely possible, I suppose, but this first started after I installed the Axxess interface. Just prior to that I had left the car for 4 weeks without being driven and got back in and it started right now. Now if I leave it for 3 days, the battery will die. Furthermore, some searching on the web revealed that there are others who have had the same issues with the LAN-04. As for OnStar, the adapter is an "OnStar" integration adapter, not that retaining OnStar does anything to help me at all...

ChrisPrice, I had contacted Axxess on two other occasions and wasn't impressed with their customer service. I did just send them another message, though. I'm very close to ripping it all out and putting it in the bin, though.

#6 ·
As for OnStar, the adapter is an "OnStar" integration adapter, not that retaining OnStar does anything to help me at all...
The following two points are just information for consideration. I have no idea if they are in play....just info for thought:

It's my understanding that the Onstar GPS receiver stays active (drawing current) for three days after the vehicle is shut down.

The vehicle uses the speaker system for most (all?) of the audio warning bells and whistles. I'm not sure what the off state draw is, but the difference between pre-amp and amp expectations "could" play a role.

#5 · (Edited)
Today I found some time to take apart the entire dash and remove the radio. Before I removed it, I measured the total current draw across the negative terminal of the battery with the GMOS-LAN-04 attached, after cycling the key to accessory, then off, removing the key, then opening and shutting the door (to stop RAP). 0.26 amps. Then I reconnected the stock radio and performed the same test, 0.18 amps.

I'm not impressed that it's drawing an extra 0.08 amps, but I'm not sure that's enough extra to cause the battery to drain as quickly as it is, however. I also don't know what's going on while the car is sitting there long-term. I suspect that if I wait long enough, the draw will drop from 0.18 amps to >0.05 amps, but it's possible that the LAN-04 never goes to "sleep" and it keeps sucking down the battery. I suppose I will leave the stock radio in the car and see if it's dead in a few days.

Also, the stock radio sounds like total garbage. I'd really like to get to the bottom of this and then never have to listen to that horrible thing again!

#7 ·
So I removed the LAN-04 last Saturday, and replaced it with the stock unit. I drove the car last Sunday for about two hours, which I thought would be enough to charge the battery to a reasonable level. But, when I got in the car on Tuesday morning, it was flat.

I bought a battery charger (C-Tek MXS 5.0, very nice), removed the battery from the car, and hooked it up to the charger with the charger set to "recondition" mode. It took about 12 hours to go through the phases to the fully charged phase. Today I put the battery back in the car, and connected my ammeter. After the initial wind down of current draw, it settled down to 0.159A draw. 40 minutes later I checked it and it was drawing just 0.005A, a very reasonable amount. We will see how the battery holds up with the stock radio connected, if it dies again it might just be time to replace it with a new one...

#8 ·
Be sure to ask the Opel dealership if they have the UUI radio (GM Part 20768368 - don't have the Opel part number). That's the stock radio you want, if you go that route.

If they do, we'll be flying them in from Germany :/

Also would be neat if you could check with Opel dealership on the ashtray door panel assembly (the cigarette lighter and insert that goes in the door panel that holds the ashtray).

I would LOVE to order those parts, and I'm sure a few others would too. I have a group buy thread open: http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/german-parts-run-whos-me-59449/

#9 ·
Be sure to ask the Opel dealership if they have the UUI radio (GM Part 20768368 - don't have the Opel part number). That's the stock radio you want, if you go that route.
You already know my opinion on the stock head unit. :thumbs:

At this point I am just isolating problems to get back to the point where the car starts reliably. Once I am there, then I can try and get my aftermarket radio connected in a way that isn't draining the battery. That will probably involve wiring in a relay that switches the LAN-04 on/off based on the switched ignition connection. Apparently the device can't be trusted to do that on its own.

#10 ·
I have a pioneer nav and had to use the GMOS-LAN-04 as well. I would bet that is the problem. If my car sits longer than 5 days without a start the battery is dead. It only did that after installing the Nav. Also the mute wire on the GMOS kept telling the unit to "mute" so my music would come and go. I cut the wire and it now turns the unit off if a Onstar is activated. An audio guy said I had a cheap GMOS and need to get a better one. I will eventually do that.

#11 ·
davidbryan: The issue that bothers me is that the newer LAN-04 interfaces accept a speaker level input, not a preamp input like the older units. Even thought it might ultimately make no difference, it bothers me in principle and I refuse to use a newer generation LAN-04.

I will install a relay to shut the power off to the LAN-04 when the car is off, and then will re-install the unit into the car. The chimes won't work when the ignition isn't on, but I'm not terribly concerned about that.

#12 ·
I still have not had time to work on the LAN-04. I have not driven the Sky in two weeks since charging the battery. Two days ago I tried to start it, interior lights were bright, but the car would not start. Click-click-click. The abuse the battery took from the LAN-04 was too much, I think.

The local parts store does not have Group 86 size batteries and claim they cannot order them. :rolleyes: Is there another size that might fit? I suspect that buying a new battery at Opel will cost €200 or more. This situation is a real shame.

#13 ·
Latest update. Revisit to parts store, and asking for an Opel GT battery, revealed that I need a 70AH640 battery. (Basically this one) We then went to the shelf and found the battery, which looked like it would be more at home in a piece of earth moving equipment. No chance that was going to fit. Even if the Opel GT had a slightly different battery bracket (which I doubt), this one was huge.

Managed to procure a battery that is about a US-spec Group 25 size equivalent. Lots of dust on it, but had a 2014 manufacture date. I could not get it into the car with the fender bracket in place. This new battery is 22mm higher and there is no chance. Against my better judgement, I removed the 4 bolts holding the fender bracket in place, and with that out of the way, I was able to get the battery in, connect it, and test fit the bracket. I think it will work, but now I get to re-align and refit the fender against the panel gaps on the door and hood.

The battery is on my fancy C-Tek charger now, I hope it will be back at full capacity tomorrow, then we'll see if I can actually get it all back together and looking correct.

The tire is still flat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.