Wanted: Saturn Sky USB Radio - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Wanted: Saturn Sky USB Radio

Well after reading the various threads at length about adding a USB Radio I think I'd like to do this.

That said, does anyone have the Saturn Sky USB Radio that they are willing to part with? I know there are other radios that can be used, but from what I read most of them have issues either with the chimes, or with the ability to fit the existing piano black faceplate.

Thanks for the help!
tallcraig likes this.

2008 Sky Redline (Red)
New to Me in 2016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilate View Post
That said, does anyone have the Saturn Sky USB Radio that they are willing to part with?
Pardon my ignorance but did they come with a USB ? I certainly have a Sky Stereo that I want to get rid of but it has no USB........

Terry

2008 Midnight Blue Saturn Sky
2.4L, DDM Short Shifter, 18" Chrome Wheels, Limited Slip Differential, Sirius Radio/Onstar, Power Seat,
Spoiler, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Kenwood Stereo, Leather, Windrestrictor, Opel GT Antenna
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:54 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windancer View Post
Pardon my ignorance but did they come with a USB ? I certainly have a Sky Stereo that I want to get rid of but it has no USB........

Terry
For the 2009 model year, they had a USB radio. RPO UUI. See Attached.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009SkyRadios.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	89553  

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:12 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
The chances that someone will sell their Sky USB radio is between slim and none. Very few were produced. Although other USB radios from other GM cars are interchangeable...u can change face plates if you wish. It is possible to get a Solstice USB radio...that would be a find and no annoyances would exist.

Changing face plates becomes an issue for some. Some of the USB radios in 09 had the USB ports on one side or another and matching them up becomes a problem if u want to change the face plate. I have found that the silver face plate is more attractive than the piano black...it creates a contrast and picks up the silver on your console. You are looking at a Sky USB with a Malibu USB faceplate. The USB ports match up. The Cobalt does not.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0475.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	89561  

Last edited by marlboromike; 03-16-2017 at 01:17 PM.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
The chances that someone will sell their Sky USB radio is between slim and none. Very few were produced. Although other USB radios from other GM cars are interchangeable...u can change face plates if you wish. It is possible to get a Solstice USB radio...that would be a find and no annoyances would exist.

Changing face plates becomes an issue for some. Some of the USB radios in 09 had the USB ports on one side or another and matching them up becomes a problem if u want to change the face plate. I have found that the silver face plate is more attractive than the piano black...it creates a contrast and picks up the silver on your console. You are looking at a Sky USB with a Malibu USB faceplate. The USB ports match up. The Cobalt does not.
Yes slim chance I know, but I thought that about the mudflaps too. I know a number are interchangeable, but I thought since I have the Monsoon system there are issues with the chimes and the music volume with a number of other radios. I also thought that I needed the Cobalt or similar seeing as the AUX is on the proper side to line up with the existing faceplate (if I choose to use) which would allow me to reroute the USB somewhere else and maintain the look.

2008 Sky Redline (Red)
New to Me in 2016
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:14 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
You can reroute the USB. There are past threads on that. Since u have the monsoon system..be aware that some of the USB radios have built in Amps. There lies your problem. You will be running 2 amps...a no no. Too loud for our speakers.

Last edited by marlboromike; 03-16-2017 at 03:17 PM.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
For the 2009 model year, they had a USB radio. RPO UUI. See Attached. .
Thanks Dave...... I know my Kenwood replacement radio has a USB port and I love having it. Actually all my music is on the stick.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_4280 small.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	89570  

2008 Midnight Blue Saturn Sky
2.4L, DDM Short Shifter, 18" Chrome Wheels, Limited Slip Differential, Sirius Radio/Onstar, Power Seat,
Spoiler, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Kenwood Stereo, Leather, Windrestrictor, Opel GT Antenna

Last edited by Windancer; 03-16-2017 at 04:37 PM.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to lorennerol Send a message via MSN to lorennerol
Quote:
For the 2009 model year, they had a USB radio. RPO UUI. See Attached.

I don't think that green-illuminated head unit ever went into a Kappa. I have a 2009 MY order book and it does not show the UUI code for an "audio system". US8 an US9 only. If it was ever an option, it was very late in the 2009 production.

I have a Kappa-destined USB head unit in my Sky. It has orange illumination, the USB input is in place of the line-input, and it has only a single CD player (not the 6-disc that was Monsoon standard). They were to be installed in the 2010 MY cars, not 2009. The company (ICS) that bought the entire inventory of spares out of Wilmington had and sold them. Wish I'd bought two at the time.

Edit to add pictures. Yes it scratched, despite being very careful, from microfiber towels and light fingernail touches. DYGM and your cheap plastic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	USB Radio (Medium).JPG
Views:	42
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	89585  

2008 Red Line
Chili Pepper with special order red/black leather
Five speed
Chrome wheels
Monsoon stereo w/ USB input
Custom lighted Windrestrictor
GMPP ECM upgrade
Norm's custom rear facia
Ordered: 6/23/07
Born: 7/16/07
Del: 8/24/07

Last edited by lorennerol; 03-16-2017 at 07:46 PM.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:14 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
The Green units were installed in Chevys...Pontiac had red. Many owners do not realize that our cars/radios are equipped with Automatic Volume Control...as u accelerate...the volume increases. You can choose this in your settings menu.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:28 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via AIM to SaturnSkyDude
I was just surfing the net and found this. I don't know if it would work but it looks like it could:

Drove My Redline home top down on 12/12/06
In 60 Degree weather In Akron, Ohio !!
Silver Pearl / Black Leather
5 Speed LSD
Chrome Wheels
6-Disc CD Monsoon
Stubby B Antenna
JPM Leather Console Cover
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:36 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSkyDude View Post
I was just surfing the net and found this. I don't know if it would work but it looks like it could:

GOOD FIND
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:39 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorennerol View Post
I don't think that green-illuminated head unit ever went into a Kappa. I have a 2009 MY order book and it does not show the UUI code for an "audio system". US8 an US9 only. If it was ever an option, it was very late in the 2009 production.
EDIT: You may be right and probably are. My order book / printbook is from way late in the 2009 model year, and Saturn Sky production had been pretty much closed down by the time it was published. There were only 3 Skys made after the date in the following quote:

This is from my 2009 Saturn Sky Printbook / Order book:
"Effective 5/18/2009, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:
• Interior section-(US8) Audio system, AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback, updated extended description to read "seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, Radio Data System (RDS), automatic volume, TheftLock and auxiliary input jack".
• Interior section-(US9) Audio system, AM/FM stereo with 6-disc in-dash CD changer and MP3 playback, updated extended description to read "seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, Radio Data System (RDS), speed-compensated volume, TheftLock and auxiliary input jack for iPod/MP3 player".
• Interior section-(UUI) Audio system, AM/FM stereo with USB port, CD player and MP3 playback, updated extended description to read "seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, Radio Data System (RDS), automatic volume, TheftLock and auxiliary input jack".

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741

Last edited by DaveOC; 03-16-2017 at 10:03 PM.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSkyDude View Post

But that route won't let you use the steering wheel controls.

Marlboro do you know which Part Numbers work with the Monsoon System? Yours has Monsoon and you're using a Malibu Radio, correct?
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to lorennerol Send a message via MSN to lorennerol
Quote:
This is from my 2009 Saturn Sky Printbook / Order book:
"Effective 5/18/2009, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:
• Interior section-(US8) Audio system, AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback, updated extended description to read "seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, Radio Data System (RDS), automatic volume, TheftLock and auxiliary input jack".
• Interior section-(US9) Audio system, AM/FM stereo with 6-disc in-dash CD changer and MP3 playback, updated extended description to read "seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, Radio Data System (RDS), speed-compensated volume, TheftLock and auxiliary input jack for iPod/MP3 player".
• Interior section-(UUI) Audio system, AM/FM stereo with USB port, CD player and MP3 playback, updated extended description to read "seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, Radio Data System (RDS), automatic volume, TheftLock and auxiliary input jack".
Ah, so there you go: My order books are from earlier in the 2009 run.

From May 18, 2009 there were about 680 Kappas built.
May: 630 (total for whole month)
June: 140
July: 325

I don't recall now, maybe you do, if it was even possible to order one that late in production. I certainly don't recall anyone with a 2009 with USB from the factory. Do you?

Edit to add: No Skys were built in June or July of 2009; all production was Solstices. Only 70 Skys were built in May. I doubt any left Wilmington with the UUI radio.

2008 Red Line
Chili Pepper with special order red/black leather
Five speed
Chrome wheels
Monsoon stereo w/ USB input
Custom lighted Windrestrictor
GMPP ECM upgrade
Norm's custom rear facia
Ordered: 6/23/07
Born: 7/16/07
Del: 8/24/07

Last edited by lorennerol; 03-16-2017 at 10:14 PM.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:27 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorennerol View Post
Ah, so there you go: My order books are from earlier in the 2009 run.

From May 18, 2009 there were about 680 Kappas built.
May: 630 (total for whole month)
June: 140
July: 325

I don't recall now, maybe you do, if it was even possible to order one that late in production. I certainly don't recall anyone with a 2009 with USB from the factory. Do you?
I just edited my previous post.

I looked at my database of 2010 Skys. ALL 8 of them had the UUI radio.

There were only 2 2009 US Skys made after 5/18/2009, just as a for what it's worth, Oh, and the last Sky ever built for the US market, the last 2010 Sky, AY100028.

All pretty much useless data at this point. I'll concede to the no USB radios in the 2009 Sky, none in the Solstice either.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.