Saturn Sky Forum banner

Water drain in the doors

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Ruination 
#1 ·
So, I left my car outside on my sloped driveway again last night and it had sprinkled over night. I'm aware that these cars have a design that allows water to fall down the inside of the car door...

This time when I opened the car door I noticed water pouring out of the door and couldn't help but think this was a silly design. On any kind of a slope (forward or backwards) the water pools up in the door until you level out the door by opening it or getting the car on flat ground.

(both sides)

I know, I know.. easy solution is don't leave the car outside in the Rain. I had the other car in the garage for some maintenance.

See less See more
#3 ·
The dealership told me it was normal, I asked them to check all the drains, etc and they said it was all fine..

If everyone agrees this is abnormal I will look into it further - honestly I hate leaving her out over night anyway, and I have a rainy day car so I will be avoiding this.

#4 ·
I dont get anything like this even when washing Punisher or the Dragon. I suspect that Soup is correct and your window seals are not sealing anymore. Or possibly you have some debris under the seal on that is allowing increased water flow into the door.

Have you ever treated the seals to make sure they are staying happy?

#5 ·
Nope! I've only owned the car a month and half... The seals all look like they are in great condition, and they seal up tight when the door is closed. I just can't believe that much water pools up in there as well - something has to be funneling it in..

#9 ·
As long as it drained. It did its job.
Look up underside the doors make sure
all drain holes are open.
No big deal.
LLLFLY

#11 · (Edited)
+2 I agree, my car has been in the weather for 6+ years. You would be surprised where water accumulates in these cars..:lol: As long as it "drains" out while on flat surface or when driving, don't worry about it.

HOWEVER, (<<, doncha love that word), I will point out that at this point in time BOTH my door windows no longer go up and down because over time the internal cables connected to the mechanism, guides, motor etc have corroded beyond repair, along with the corrosion, the strands have broken and unraveled thereby gumming up the works... I have to replace the entire assemblies on both doors at the cost to the tune of over $550 + labor...:willy:
The only good thing that might come out of all of this is that I will have a pair of spare motors for the windows, used..:lol: because right now, you can't find these motors anywhere.. I am also hoping that when I do take it in for repairs they'll be able to get the parts to fix these things.. otherwise, it just might be the time to get rid of this car..:(

#13 ·
Hello everyone,

I did do some research into this and from what I've found, this is a normal product design operation. There is the drain in the door area. If anyone has any concerns that there is an abnormal function, please see the dealership for repairs. Thank you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

#15 ·
Middle of the door on the bottom just inside the door crease. Directly above the wet spots in my pictures.. in the second you can actually see a steady stream of water coming out.

If this is normal design as stated above - it's pretty silly - I wonder how the doors hold up over time if the car is left outside on an incline for periods of time..

Garage queen it is!!

#16 ·
I have spray wax the inside of both doors.
Eazy to do. Change out door handles same time.
Silcon all seals.
Both doors in and out like new.
Hand wax Ace It underside of R/L end to end.
Have fun.
Ok. Back on winter mods.
LLLFLY

#17 ·
Ok, for the record:

I have owned a convertible of one kind or another for pretty much all of my life. But this particular issue is not a convertible specific problem. Any car can have a problem with water in the door. And in my humble opinion, if the window seals are working correctly, you should not have that much water pouring out of the door like in the picture posted by the OP.

Yes, the doors are designed to drain water out of the bottom. Every car ever built has a drain hole of some kind in the bottom of the door, because there is no such thing as a perfect window seal. But for comparison: I have driven my Sky as a daily driver for 57000 miles in all kinds of weather, including good old CO monsoon season horizontal rain storms. And I have NEVER observed anything like the picture posted. At the most, a few little drops when opening the door. And yes, I have had my car parked on my rather steep inclined driveway throughout a rain storm, and I did not see anything like that when I opened the door. So I for one am not buying the "normal behavior" statement from GM. (Sorry Matt, but regardless of what the official story is from GM; just not buying it.)

And I have had previous vehicles that the window seals failed on. And when they did, they would capture water in the amounts similar to the picture posted by the OP. Typically it was always just the outside window trim seal. However, I had one case where the weather boot seal for the wiring harness to the door had failed; and of course water always seeks the path of least resistance. :lol::lol::lol: That baby would dump about a gallon of water.

#18 ·
I agree with everything above. My driveway is sloped enough to be a pain in the ass, but this is the only car that this happens with. It's pretty even on both sides of the car which is why it's odd to me.. I'd understand one side door seals failing but not both at once.

When it warms up I will do some more investigating to see where it's leaking in. It still bothers me..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.