Why did someone sign the underside of my car? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 01:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Why did someone sign the underside of my car?

I've always looked at the underside of the car from one side or the other (not keen to walk under a hoist). My husband went under the car today (it sleeps on the hoist all winter) and noticed a signature on the underside of the car with a yellow grease pen with a date 05/29/08 and the name Ralph Steven.

Any ideas why it's signed?
5 Speed
Black Leather
Chrome Wheels
Monsoon 6 disk
Spoiler
Nakid - no emblems
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (13)
It was one of the final builders that completed the build of that car.

The last Saturn was shipped out to Texas with all the names of the builders in the Wilmington Plant.

And that is why new owners will never understand the history of the SKY...just the way it is. You had to be around in 2005. That is when the Love machine took life, so to say.

Last edited by marlboromike; 02-17-2013 at 01:40 AM.
marlboromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. Are you saying all Skys were signed? I've just never seen a sig on the bottom of a car before.
5 Speed
Black Leather
Chrome Wheels
Monsoon 6 disk
Spoiler
Nakid - no emblems
Old 02-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

No..but perhaps yours was the last of the 2008 model year...because they would begin building the next years model in June-July...it could have been many reasons...but each car that moves down the assembly line has a build sheet...and that is hidden somewhere in your body...each facet of the build has to be signed off on that sheet

Last edited by marlboromike; 02-17-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Where is the common hiding place for them? I'm curious to find it now, but I have read it may or may not have been left in the car.

From compnine.com determined that was the build date of the car.

If I could jump back in time to 2005 I would certainly have had a better opportunity to gather information about the Sky as it became available, but to say I or any other 'new' owner will never ' 'understand' the history is quite an odd thing to say.
5 Speed
Black Leather
Chrome Wheels
Monsoon 6 disk
Spoiler
Nakid - no emblems

Last edited by Scarlett; 02-17-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
Where is the common hiding place for them? I'm curious to find it now, but I have read it may or may not have been left in the car.

From compnine.com determined that was the build date of the car.

If I could jump back in time to 2005 I would certainly have had a better opportunity to gather information about the Sky as it became available, but to say I or any other 'new' owner will never ' 'understand' the history is quite an odd thing to say.
It is not odd to say this...have u ever been to Mecca? LOL. Each year GM invited us to tour their Wilmington Plant...and we were invited to close the plant...so, to say you really know the car.... it is quite fair to say. Just the way it is...Look up the word Mecca on the search area of this forum...and UNDERSTAND.

Last edited by marlboromike; 02-17-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (23)
Hay Mike, Someone named Bob Lutz sighned the top of my car.
Pauline won this at the first plant tour.

Hope to see you all soon
SKYJACK ( JACK AND PAULINE )

MONSOON
SPOILER
CHROME WHEELS
STILL WAITING ( ORDERED 5-25-06 )
DELIVERED ( 12:00 12-21-06 )
PERMAGRIN ( 12:01 12-21-06 )
CANCER AWARENESS PLATE
-----OMYSKY-----
SKYJACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYJACK View Post
Hay Mike, Someone named Bob Lutz sighned the top of my car.
Pauline won this at the first plant tour.

Hope to see you all soon
SKYJACK ( JACK AND PAULINE )

Remember when they gave each one those to each person on the tour...and how many of us got a gold key (brass) in the mail...I believe the first 2 thousand owners...still have mine for that just in case emergency. You still possess the best looking Chili Sky. I always refer to your car as so tastefully done...

You can do so much research on a car but living through certain events..it's never written down...just an example. When Wilmington had a halestorm and the cars in their parking lot had to be recycled due to the dents they caused...nobody recalls that...cost them thousands. We remember.

Last edited by marlboromike; 02-17-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

So took the advice and searched for Mecca on the site. Not much information about the Sky, rather mostly just event planning details, a few broken links to pictures and videos (some pictures on the Solstice forum). Disappointing. Not any real info about the car itself.

Would be nice to have one thread where people did write it down and not let information stay hoarded in their memory, each post being a piece of trivia or other kind of information and not pages and pages of banter.
5 Speed
Black Leather
Chrome Wheels
Monsoon 6 disk
Spoiler
Nakid - no emblems

Last edited by Scarlett; 02-17-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

A picture is worth a thousand words..that was a memory board for the last GM event...if you enlarge the photo, you will see what u missed...but what u don't know, you don't miss. Born to late as they say.

For all the old timers out there...the 2nd photo. If u go to the extreme upper right you will find our beloved skipster there...RIP.
Attached Thumbnails
Why did someone sign the underside of my car?-052.jpg   Why did someone sign the underside of my car?-053.jpg  

Last edited by marlboromike; 02-17-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
So took the advice and searched for Mecca on the site. Not much information about the Sky, rather mostly just event planning details, a few broken links to pictures and videos (some pictures on the Solstice forum). Disappointing. Not any real info about the car itself.

Would be nice to have one thread where people did write it down and not let information stay hoarded in their memory, each post being a piece of trivia or other kind of information and not pages and pages of banter.
It almost seems that instead of being glad others (newcomers and/or new owners) are coming to these forums some of the more seasoned members want to keep it all to themselves. SHARE and play nice, you guys. We need your knowledge and guidance!

2008 Polar White Redline
Black/Red Leather
SnowSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

With your own words...get rid of the red seats..they do not look well in a white sky and get yourself new black leather...cheap enough . Then get yourself a set of Vogue Tires...just enlarge the pic...u will see the difference in appearance. I do not have a profile shot of lllflys car...if u notice he does not have chrome rims but you do...u will understand it when installed. The black mutes the chrome...and everything around it. You wanted guidance. There it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Why did someone sign the underside of my car?-157.jpg   Why did someone sign the underside of my car?-073.jpg  

Last edited by marlboromike; 02-17-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (19)
Send a message via AIM to SaturnSkyDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words..that was a memory board for the last GM event...if you enlarge the photo, you will see what u missed...but what u don't know, you don't miss. Born to late as they say.

I did what you said Mike and look what I found. An almost unmolested 2007 Saturn Sky in silver pearl with the number 44 and WITHOUT white wall tires

5 Speed LSD
Chrome Wheels
6-Disc CD Monsoon
Stubby B Antenna
K&N air filter
Enjoying another cancer free day :)
SaturnSkyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

Ok, I will share:

The Kappa was a very unique one of a kind platform-specific design spawned entirely by the efforts of a few select engineers and birthed by the momentous political efforts of one select suite at GM, namely Bob Lutz. Said birthing was sold as a "Halo Car" to the rest of the suites at GM. Therefore the little roadster garnished all kinds of annual recognition and fanfare, for those that actually forked over the bucks.

But Ironically, no such recognition or marketing seemed to be deemed necessary for the general public. Which of course resulted in the rather infamous comments of "what is that car", when ever viewed outside of the small percentage of consumers that actually stumbled onto the creation and decided to purchase.

Market share for the General, which had already been declining, continued to fall below expectations; and of course the suites at GM started pointing fingers and had their hands out to Uncle Sam for a safety net. Which of course always comes with strings attached. Heads had to roll, or in this case; entire divisions of the General had to roll away.

So credits rolled on the Kappa Experiment..................
Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSkyDude View Post
I did what you said Mike and look what I found. An almost unmolested 2007 Saturn Sky in silver pearl with the number 44 and WITHOUT white wall tires

That is pretty good...before enlightenment...here is mine with a corvette vinyl liner..remember the 67 vettes...well, I did that also..looking for the pics..give me a sec. Here it is...I always wanted whitewall tires. It always make a car look richer..even an ugly car, u cannot change ugly but somehow u put a whitewall tire on it...it helps! No much but a tad.
Attached Thumbnails
Why did someone sign the underside of my car?-racing-stripes.jpg  

Last edited by marlboromike; 02-17-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion