Windshield Scratch Removal Anyone? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Windshield Scratch Removal Anyone?

Anyone had any luck with taking scratches out of your Windshield? I had a power line blow down on my Sky the other day. Canít believe it didnít scratch the crap outa my car but it did my Windshield. As you can see it got me pretty good. I looked around on the net some and saw where someone posted about CarPro CeriGlass. Has anyone used this or anything else with any luck? I might have to look into getting a new one, but wanted to check in with the pros first Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Windshield Scratch Removal Anyone?-scratches.jpg  
TonyRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (7)
Google it...

how about something suggested here: How to Remove Light Scratches from Your Windshield - Popular Mechanics
HID low beam & fogs
3" Magnaflow
DDM Works - Charge Tubes,Cross Bay Brace,Tunnel Brace,Center Console,Fender Trim,Sway bars,Drilled Rotors,Hawk pads
MCW Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (13)
A small scrach...u have a chance. You have no choice here. Go to E Bay. You can still purchase OEM...but the problem is...they will not ship just one...I believe the outfit is in Saint Charles, Missouri

Last edited by marlboromike; 12-28-2012 at 12:31 PM.
marlboromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
A small scrach...u have a chance. You have no choice here. Go to E Bay. You can still purchase OEM...but the problem is...they will not ship just one...I believe the outfit is in Saint5 Charles, Missouri
Yep, OEM, Missouri...Local pickup only...199.99
Old 12-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyRedline View Post
Yep, OEM, Missouri...Local pickup only...199.99
Give them a call...see what they say. Good Luck. You really do not want to purchase another windshield from a glass installer...there was a thread regarding how inferior other glass manufacturers are...although our glass windshields are made in Mexico.
marlboromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'll try a couple of things first to see if I can get them out. If it doesn’t work then I’ll probably give them a call. Said they had 10 or more of these items so I don’t have to be in too big a hurry, and with this being my daily driver I probably wouldn’t put it in till spring anyways. Be a decent little road trip at 5 hours one way. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Claybar works well for minimizing window pitting. It is a long shot, and would take a lot of elbow grease; for what you have there. But it might be worth giving it a try. If you can knock down the sharp edges on the scratches, then they may not be as obvious.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Anyone had any luck with taking scratches out of your Windshield? I had a power line blow down on my Sky the other day. Canít believe it didnít scratch the crap outa my car but it did my Windshield. As you can see it got me pretty good. I looked around on the net some and saw where someone posted about CarPro CeriGlass. Has anyone used this or anything else with any luck? I might have to look into getting a new one, but wanted to check in with the pros first Thanks!
Most windshield damage is covered with your car insurance, check with them first before you shell out any doe.. In Florida for example, I can have my windshield replaced for "free" that's right NO deductible.. for example..
Old 12-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
MidniteBlues : Most windshield damage is covered with your car insurance, check with them first before you shell out any doe.. In Florida for example, I can have my windshield replaced for "free" that's right NO deductible.. for example..
Kentucky is the same, assuming you have full coverage on the car.

The concern then comes back to the quality of the replacement glass. Some is good, some is not.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have full coverage...Definitely worth checking into. The quality of glass is huge, because I know most all of the aftermarket is junk.

Thank You all for your thoughts and help!!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
Kentucky is the same, assuming you have full coverage on the car.

The concern then comes back to the quality of the replacement glass. Some is good, some is not.
That is true, I'm sure you can request and have OEM replacement only..
if available of course, otherwise it's approved equivalent..
Old 12-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
The quality of glass is huge, because I know most all of the aftermarket is junk.
In my over 50 years of driving, I've never had to replace a windshield so I don't know anything about the quality. How can you tell if the quality of replacement glass isn't the same as OEM?
Woodgrain interior
Diamond pattern console cover
gladmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
gladmaker : In my over 50 years of driving, I've never had to replace a windshield so I don't know anything about the quality. How can you tell if the quality of replacement glass isn't the same as OEM?
Mainly look at it.

Contrary to popular opinion, aftermarket glass isn't softer than OEM glass, and it isn't fundamentally diferent in any other way, either. All glass, aftermarket or OEM, has to pass the same safety inspections, so the materials and construction are pretty much the same.

The big difference, or potential difference, is appearance. OEMs have very strict appearance and distortion specifications, and they are pretty obsessive about following them. The only real inspector for a piece of aftermarket glass that is being installed in your car is you.

Cosmetic defects are usually pretty insignificant, unless you are completely anal about details. There may be a missing dot in the fade-out pattern, or some of the black may be more grey.

Distortion is the big thing to look out for. Tell the installer that you are going to check for distortion, and will reject a screen if it has too much. Make sure he agrees before you make any commitments. When the glass in installed in the car you should be able to look through it without seeing any significant distortion of what you are looking at. Move your head around as you look through the glass at something with straight lines. You will see some variation in the more curved pillar areas, but a lot of waviness in the middle is bad. Look through a "good" windshield to see what it looks like, then compare.

Other potential issues are scratches, bubbles, or "inside material" which is pieces of debris in the plastic or between the plastic and the glass. Also look for any milkiness around the edges, which is a sign of de-lamination. The is also a phenomenon called "ice flower" that is caused by air bubbles in the plastic growing into weird tree-shaped voids.

You should inspect the glass before it goes into the car. Have them set it up on something so that you can look through it at something approximating the installation angle, and from approximately where you would be sitting to drive the car. Also, check it carefully for the other defects.

You wouldn't accept a badly repaired fender, so don't accept a badly made piece of glass.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

I used 3M Rubbing Compound to get some scratches out of a windshield before.
bun1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
That is true, I'm sure you can request and have OEM replacement only..
if available of course, otherwise it's approved equivalent..
I agree with you Ask and tell them you want ( OEM Glass ) It might take a day or so more but they can get it . Give them the Order and let them call you when it comes in to have it put in.
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion