Best SOUNDING Exhaust??? - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #31 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsense View Post
I want to thank everyone for their help. I decided to go with the last set that RPi had. The different size round outlets and T304 Stainless Steel probably pushed me over the edge. And the You Tube sound bytes that were thoughtfully posted. These are the same tips, and material, as on their $3700 Porsche systems, or so they say. Anyway, it looks like really high quality construction. Really looking forward to getting it. Thanks so much.
Congrats!! you just bought an AMAZING exhaust

Make sure to update us on how you like the new sound
08SKYREDLINE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #32 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SKYREDLINE View Post
And all those high end screaming race cars from Germany and Italy are? That is not an attack on you but rather on any laws that would make aftermarket exhausts for our 4 cylinders illegal while allowing those Lamborghini's, ferrari's,
and Porsche's (just to name a few) fall within sound pollution laws

I have never heard of any dealership deny warranty coverage b/c of an aftermarket exhaust unless it applied to the OEM exhaust. Having said that, my local GM dealer sold and installed my Magnaflow and put in the service record that any issues with the exhaust or install where to be treated and covered under GM warranty. Go figure
Who said the law allows for those Lamborghini's ? It's a safe bet that owners of such cars pay quite a bit for fines. However not many cops would stop such cars to begin with. Ours is a much "easier" catch.

That being said aside sound pollution issues we also have air pollution issues in the EU and thus not even the GM tune has been certified for use inside the EU. Basically GM EU is worlds apart from GM USA but to be completely fair the states are on a different page. The gas is a lot cheaper, many there ride cars of over 5 liters, here it's just not the same.
NikK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #33 (permalink)

Intense! Would not have thought big brand companies could sell non steet legal cars in your country.

Thought cars like ours where less common then Lamborghinis and the like, making them less identifiable and therefore seemingly more exotic and harder to catch. Would be the case in Canada and in my experience (mind you I dont have anything to "catch").

I did not think the GM tune altered any emission paramaeters at least not to the point of making them violate emission standards.

GM EU definitely seems to be opperating under a different set of regualtions then over here. Not surrprised though policies can change from state to state or province to province so go figure. Thanks for the info
Old 07-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SKYREDLINE View Post
Congrats!! you just bought an AMAZING exhaust

Make sure to update us on how you like the new sound
I picked up probably one of the last RPi systems they had for the Redline as well. With the HiFlow CAT it turns heads let me tell you. Real sweet!! I couldn't be more pleased with my choice...Critter

HFCat,Braces,Werks Sway bars,Werks Intake, OEM Spoiler, Racing stripes, MRZ Black Caps, RPI exhaust, Norm(Diffuser,Splitter,Skirts),JPM(console,shifter ,shroud), PillarPod
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I picked up probably one of the last RPi systems they had for the Redline as well. With the HiFlow CAT it turns heads let me tell you. Real sweet!! I couldn't be more pleased with my choice...Critter
So bottom line in two years i will have a really hard time finding a good exhaust, although from what i hear many people in here dislike how the noise becomes tiresome after a while and since here we easily hit 100mph+ when going on trips it may be even worse.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikK View Post
So bottom line in two years i will have a really hard time finding a good exhaust, although from what i hear many people in here dislike how the noise becomes tiresome after a while and since here we easily hit 100mph+ when going on trips it may be even worse.
You would not like a loud setup then. At 70 my street race was unbearable after a couple hours of driving. I always had a migrane when I drove long distances to events.

The mach would be good or maybe the mach shorty from solo may be a good choice. The RPI/Solo Street race would not be a good idea.
miller11386 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #37 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller11386 View Post
You would not like a loud setup then. At 70 my street race was unbearable after a couple hours of driving. I always had a migrane when I drove long distances to events.

The mach would be good or maybe the mach shorty from solo may be a good choice. The RPI/Solo Street race would not be a good idea.
Used to own an Seat Ibiza 115hp back in 2000 and i had bought a Sebring exhaust which although was extremely loud at low-RPM/Speeds (imagine that all the alarms in my neighborhood went off when i was getting back home) it was pretty much ok at high RPM/speeds. How come we don't have something like that for the Sky ? Don't known brands like Sebring have solutions for us ?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikK View Post
Used to own an Seat Ibiza 115hp back in 2000 and i had bought a Sebring exhaust which although was extremely loud at low-RPM/Speeds (imagine that all the alarms in my neighborhood went off when i was getting back home) it was pretty much ok at high RPM/speeds. How come we don't have something like that for the Sky ? Don't known brands like Sebring have solutions for us ?
It is very hard to have an exhaust (that has no muffler) and doesn't cause some cabin drone at highway speeds... I recall many trips that were over 2 hours I would ALWAYS have a giant headache by the end. Basically my hour commute was under 70mph due to speed limits, so I did not notice it as badly... however when I was out of state traveling 70-75, it was unreal how much louder the exhaust drone was.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #39 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller11386 View Post
It is very hard to have an exhaust (that has no muffler) and doesn't cause some cabin drone at highway speeds... I recall many trips that were over 2 hours I would ALWAYS have a giant headache by the end. Basically my hour commute was under 70mph due to speed limits, so I did not notice it as badly... however when I was out of state traveling 70-75, it was unreal how much louder the exhaust drone was.
Well if some in here have action cams and can mount them in the cabin it would be nice to hear how much noise these exhausts do at speeds over 100mph (just for 10-20seconds i doubt they will get a ticket).
Old 07-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #40 (permalink)

If I still owned my car I would... but I sold it long ago!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #41 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm new and so far I like the RPI sound the best. I don'rt like attention but like a nice exhaust.

Okay Okay... I know the Redline is an attention getter but that's a different story.
Razz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #42 (permalink)

Garage
with a stock cat, you can do a muffler delete on the cheap and it will sound very, very similiar to a magnaflow, rpi or solo system.

it will not give you the same performance though.

turbo engines perform the best with zero backpressure. although that is not very realistic.

my personal set up, that is in the works, is a catless downpipe into a 3'' exhaust that stops about where the driveshaft tunnel ends. i am only doing this because i will be running a custom, recessed trailor hitch that hides where the facory muffler goes and has tubes that run through the exhaust ports on the rear fascia and tie in together at the ball hitch in front of the revers light (to haul my dirtbikes and spare tires etc etc)

my route may not be the most suitable for all, or welcomed in many nieghborhoods, but it will work for me and also provide the least amount of backpressure.

although all of the quality exhaust systems sold for our cars, are well, good quality...dont rule out having something custom made. if you know the right people, you can get something beautiful in looks and sounds and quality for the same price or less, to your specs.
pushingluck831 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #43 (permalink)

Like the way you think. I dont mind LOUD! And the lower amount of back preassure you can achive the better. The turbo provides more then enough.

Another plus, you are dropping weight, also good for performance.

Im running Solo cat and Magnaflow cat back, but if the law allowed it I would have gone catless and Solo Street race.

Do you have a tune to remove the cell you will activate from removing the cat?

Make sure your exhaust dump is away from any body panels. Even though your set up ends close to the rear, the lack of a muffler (which helps slow exhaust velocity and by doing so cools it) means those gases are going to be hot all the way though (also not helped by the fact you are going catless).

Great advice on custome builds. Another bonus is if they are close to you customer service is just a quick drive away should the need arise.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #44 (permalink)

Garage
my pipe will have a turndown, essentially pushing all the gasses and exhausat towards the ground and away from the components in the car. it is also tucked away in a spot fathest away from anything i can get it. this does also make it louder, and man can you hear the turbo spool

i have a few things going on right now. i ran into a little cash, and also am selling my motorcycle to fund the sky build. i acquired a 16g turbo from an evo 10, so im working on getting an exhaust manifold built for that turbo as well as a custom down pipe using a stock evo 10 downpipe flange. at the same time, i will be getting the hahns racecraft intercool, charge pipes, bov and the vehicle will be tuned with hp tuners
pushingluck831 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #45 (permalink)

Sounds awsome. Keep us posted on the build. Photos are always welcome

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.