Saturn Sky Forum banner

Broken Piece - what is this?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  SKYUP58! 
#1 · (Edited)
I just noticed that this sensor (?) on my new Sky is broken off.

I remember that other people have broken theirs, but I don't remember exactly what it is for. Since it is coming from the air box, I can only assume that it has something to do with the intake.

I do not have a CEL and the car seems to be running ok. So...

1) what is this and how important is it?
2) how much will it likely cost to repair?
3) is that metal braided hose stock? I don't remember that on my previous car.

Kind of annoyed that the dealership didn't notice this when they did their "full inspection". Of course, I'm also annoyed at myself for not noticing this earlier.

Thanks.

#4 ·
This is a common problem it it a vent from the vale cover. A spent 22 cartage or piece of copper tubing makes a easy fix. Just make sure to cut of the one end. If you squeeze the little whit clip you should be able to remove the broken part. I have had real good luck repairing these with a product called QBond. Look for it at your local auto parts store.

#5 ·
While I appreciate the responses, I'm not sure that this has really helped me.

I'm not an engine guy, and really have no desire to become one, so my trying to repair this with a spent shell casing is really just not going to happen, especially as I wouldn't know what "fixed" even would be.

As to the thread pointed to by TS, are you saying that the previous owner installed an oil catch can?

I guess I just really wanted to know is...

Is this going to strand me somewhere soon, and how much is the dealership likely to charge for fixing this?

#6 ·
Is this going to strand me somewhere soon, and how much is the dealership likely to charge for fixing this?
A quirk of the RL. That part is often broken by unsuspecting owners when installing a new air filter. Yes it needs to be repaired or replaced soon. Dealership will probably replace the whole elbow with the nub attached for like $150. Good luck!

#9 · (Edited)
Don't go to the dealer and if you do, buy this from DDM and take it there to get installed. If you go to the dealer and use the GM part there is a good chance that this will break again, the one from DDM is silicone and aluminum and will last the life of the car.

Solstice / Sky Silicone LNF Intake tube with breather by DDMWorks

Do you have a friend that could install the replacement? It's just a couple of clamps.

#10 ·
I have a brand new, black, DDM intake tube I'll sell you for $100 shipped.

#11 ·
Yeah, if you don't think you can take it off the braided hose and glue it back in place with the qbond, buy the DDM part take the 2 hose clamps off and replace it yourself, for less than the dealership and with a better part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.