Cabin Noise - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Cabin Noise

Guys i've tried to ignore it for 3 years now but i can't any more so i was wondering if any of you ever looked into the cracking noises inside the cabin whenever you go over a bump on the road ?
I know that the plastics do that a lot but what i'm mostly interested in is what metal parts do that and that i don't know. I guess its the suspension sometimes but others it sounds like an entirely different thing.
Now i could take it to the dealers but chances are that they will never find out (or spend time checking it out) so i thought it would be nice to ask just in case someone looked into it.

Thanks in advance all
NikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

This may sound strange, but I accidently found the source of one of the noises that is annoying when I go over rough pavement. As I was washing my car, I noticed that the rear panel on the passenger side where it attaches to the inner wheel well liner was loose. It was solidly attached to everything else and you could not tell that there was a problem until I saw the attachment clips move back and forth as I applied pressure on the panel while washing the car. I checked the other side and it was solidly attached to the wheel well liner. This spring I will make the repair, as now the car is laid up for the winter. In other words, look for loose parts by making a thorough inspection.
Red Leather interior
Black top
Automatic
No modifications
EFBRODIESR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

There are a lot of posts about the different noise issues. Try the Google search in the pull down, you will have more luck with that.

The main ones, as far as I remember:

1. Door latch striker pin: The pin in the door jamb will tend to flex and make a nasty sound. Repair: Take a center punch and indent the latch metal next to the pin, to eliminate play in the pin.

2. Chrome bezels around speedometer and tack will flex and make noise. If driving down the street and you hear a noise from that area, try holding the bezel. If sound goes away Repair: By inserting some kind of filler between bezel and plastic shroud.

3. If sound comes from top sides of dash: Hood latches may be out of adjustment. Will result in a nasty metal sound. Check that plastic screw in bumpers next to hood latch are extended far enough to take up slack in hood when closed. You can push down and lift up on the closed hood to see if there is to much slack and probably replicate sound.

4. Front sway bar bushings will make noise in cold weather. You can take retainer caps off of bushings to access bushings and clean up, then apply grease before reassemble.

5. If noise sounds like coming from behind seats with top up: The top mechanism has a bar that rests against the tulip panel in the up position. The bar is wrapped in a plastic tape. The tape wears out and then the metal bar will rattle against the tulip panel when you hit a bump. Repair: Wrap the bar with self adhesive silicone tape.

6. If noise sounds like coming from behind center of seats: Check in trunk on panel behind seats and look for the trunk release cable. Cable may be hanging loose and vibrating against panel. Repair: Secure to panel with zip tie.

7. If noise is coming from passenger seat: Move seat ahead a couple clicks so it does not vibrate against rear panel.

I am sure there are more, but this is all I can remember for now. As you can see, your question is waaaaaaaaaay to subjective. There are many possible sources. You need to define the sound for exactly and then maybe we can narrow it down.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well the speedometer issues i know off and i think it's because the top right above the speedometer is not very solid so it goes up and down and makes a noise.
However my problem is noises made by metal cause honestly that drives me nuts. The funny thing is that i never had such noises, neither with the Mazda RX7, the Seat Ibiza and the Opel Astra H i had prior to the Sky Redline/Opel GT and considering that this cost me more than any of the others i am a bit disappointed in that area.
I will check the things you mentioned and i hope i can narrow it down, thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Stage 1 View Post
There are a lot of posts about the different noise issues. Try the Google search in the pull down, you will have more luck with that.

The main ones, as far as I remember:

1. Door latch striker pin: The pin in the door jamb will tend to flex and make a nasty sound. Repair: Take a center punch and indent the latch metal next to the pin, to eliminate play in the pin.
--- Popping, Snapping or Itching Type Noise When Driving Over Rough Roads (Replace Door S - Pontiac Solstice Forum
Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikK View Post
Guys i've tried to ignore it for 3 years now but i can't any more so i was wondering if any of you ever looked into the cracking noises inside the cabin whenever you go over a bump on the road ?
I know that the plastics do that a lot but what i'm mostly interested in is what metal parts do that and that i don't know. I guess its the suspension sometimes but others it sounds like an entirely different thing.
Now i could take it to the dealers but chances are that they will never find out (or spend time checking it out) so i thought it would be nice to ask just in case someone looked into it.

Thanks in advance all
Your concern is definitely understandable. If you would like to take it to a dealership to have them investigate, please let us know. A case would then be set up to document the concern and find the best possible resolution. I hope this is resolved quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GM Customer Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
Your concern is definitely understandable. If you would like to take it to a dealership to have them investigate, please let us know. A case would then be set up to document the concern and find the best possible resolution. I hope this is resolved quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
Thanks for your reply Matt but things here in Greece are not that easy. Most of the times i take it to the dealership and while they correct 1 thing they mess other things up (although from what i hear in here the same happens in the states as well).
Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikK View Post
Thanks for your reply Matt but things here in Greece are not that easy. Most of the times i take it to the dealership and while they correct 1 thing they mess other things up (although from what i hear in here the same happens in the states as well).

Sorry to hear about the issues. I don't know what assistance they may be able to provide, here is the information for Greek Customer Assistance. I hope all concerns are resolved quickly for you.

customer.assistance@gr.opel.com
Listed Phone# 30-1-616-4600

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GM Customer Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Check the seatbelt exit point. Where the two panels come together. This can rattle and sound metalic. Its an easy test. Insert a piece of cardboard or fabric between the panels and see if it eliminates the rattle.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

One step in diagnosicing is, if the engine is off, does the same noise still occur? Say, if you were able to coast over the bump with the engine off, does the same sound still occur? If so, then of course, it's a structural issue.
DenverSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion