engine power reduced - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
engine power reduced

Hi all, I have Redline (Opel GT in europe). When I am really pushing it (like on the track or mountain roads) - I get ENGINE POWER REDUCED problem. Car display changes to: ENG PWR REDUCED, and car stops to go fast, it's like turbo ist not engaged and it's starts to limit revs. If I stop the car, turn the engine off - and after a few minutes later I start the car and it goes well, but just for a few minutes (10 or so) and then I get the same problem again... When I am driving normaly - I never get that problem, not even after 1000 miles of continous driving (yes i did it) :-) ... any suggestions? In my country, there is no authorised service for this car, so I have to go a few miles to get one - that's why I want to know what might the problem be in advance... Thanks for any answers
yano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

sounds like your turbo is going beyond its programmed boost limit. Are you going over 26PSI? What modifications have you made to your car?
Monsoon Audio w/ 6Disk changer
cfjara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

no modifications at all, nothing. any ideas?
Old 09-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Have you checked to see if you have any Engine Codes.

The worm clamps on the intercooler pipes are known to suck and eventually leak.
Air Leak on a turbo will result in reduced speed and possibly induce Limp mode.
Initially I would suggest that you re-tighten those, especially on the driver side IC pipe and check the throttle body elbow.
I personally think replacing the clamps with T-Bolt Style clamps are a must.

In the following picture of my engine bay, you can see the clamps I am talking about

I even went so far as to replace the throttle body elbow
[This has a good close up of the T-Bolt clamps]

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
Elff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Read this thread. It's a fuel rail/fuel pump problem.

Eng. Power Reduced ???
smartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartin View Post
Read this thread. It's a fuel rail/fuel pump problem.

Eng. Power Reduced ???
I'm wondering if it is because mine wasn't that intermittent. Although, Nomead was able to reset his and continue to drive several times so his was definitely intermittent. If you have Onstar, next time it happens contact them immediately. They can at least figure out if you are getting a code or not. Mine was to the point where it was not driveable.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyhighNY View Post
I'm wondering if it is because mine wasn't that intermittent. Although, Nomead was able to reset his and continue to drive several times so his was definitely intermittent. If you have Onstar, next time it happens contact them immediately. They can at least figure out if you are getting a code or not. Mine was to the point where it was not driveable.
They don't have onstar in Europe IIRC.

Now if he has a code reader he could pull the codes himself and post them here so perhaps we can figure out what's going on.

2009 Sky RL 5 Spd

I am a GM engineer, my comments are my own. I am not responsible for your actions.
info2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

OK guys, thanks for help. Next time I go to the track, I will borrow error reader from my friend and I hope it will work with my car - even in Opel (Saturn) official service they were not able to read error codes properly, cause the car has some different system then all other Opels (Saturns) in EU. Sounds crazy to me. Maybe the universal reader will at least read error numbers from car computer. I will keep you updated. I am happy with the car in nearly everything else.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yano View Post
OK guys, thanks for help. Next time I go to the track, I will borrow error reader from my friend and I hope it will work with my car - even in Opel (Saturn) official service they were not able to read error codes properly, cause the car has some different system then all other Opels (Saturns) in EU. Sounds crazy to me. Maybe the universal reader will at least read error numbers from car computer. I will keep you updated. I am happy with the car in nearly everything else.
I believe if the codes are P0087 and P0089 it is the fuel pump/fuel rail problem.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yano View Post
Yeah that sounds a little odd since the system should use an SAE standard for communications and I doubt the E-OBD requirements differ much in terms of what information has to be able to be pulled by the average code reader.

2009 Sky RL 5 Spd

I am a GM engineer, my comments are my own. I am not responsible for your actions.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hi, just an update - I still doesn't have error code reader, but I was on circuit yesterday. I figured out, that problem might really be connected to fuel, it occurs only when average fuel consumption is around 6.7 miles per gallon (35liters per 100 km) for about 10 minutes... I know that kind of fuel consumption is really high - but it's normal on circuit. So maybe the problem is really with fuel pump, it might not be able to supply that amount of fuel in longer while?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

It should be able to supply as much fuel as our little engines can suck down and probably a little more, unless there is something wrong with the pump or the control of the pump.

I'm leaning towards what the other members said and think this might be the fuel pump issue that a lot of people here have had, or something similar.

It could since you seem to really need to push it to get it fail some diagnostic the might just be barely out of spec.

2009 Sky RL 5 Spd

Old 09-08-2009, 05:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

OK - update. I borrowed error code reader and there was only one error P0455 ... It should be something with emissions control? No other error codes were reported. Do You think the problem might be in some emission sensor? Why was the problem reported only once, when I get engine power reduced message much more often? Thanks for any ideas!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
jr1

Yano: I have heard of the hose clamp/turob problem on the SKY before. If you have not done so, it would be worth checking and tightening them anyway. I had a similar problem with the Redline ION I had before my RL SKY. It is essentialy the same block - short stroked 2.0 EcoTek - not DFI, and supercharged instead of trubo (big Eaton twin scroll job). Only happened once when I was stuck in stop-n-go traffic due to accidents for over an hour. It got really rough and very low power. After cooling off for 1/2 hour it was fine again. But I did find some loose clamps on the intercooler hoses. Tightened them, never happened again - could have been coincidence too.

Elff: What type of paint did you use for your engine heatshield cover? White and no sign of chipping off the plastic or fading - nice!!
jr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Krylon. When painting on plastic, there is nothing better

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
Elff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion