Hiding Switches - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 03:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Hiding Switches

So I've been wanting to set up my Sky with some nitrous... but while I'd love to have the control switches inside the cabin, I really don't want random buttons [very aftermarket-y looking] sticking out of my stock interior...

So I've been playing around with the idea of utilizing the "screen" looking top part of the head unit. I'd like to, if possible, separtate it from the rest of the unit cover and have some sort of push down to release latch that could make it rise up on its own [think like a CD player]. Under that, I'd have the switches set up, that way they aren't visible. I know it'd be alot of custom work, but that part I can handle. But is it even possible? I've not had the head unit apart and I'm not sure how much room there is... can't find any pics on here with the right angle to find out. Has anyone ever done anything like this?

If not, is there anything else you guys could think of aside hiding them under the steering column? If all else fails, I'll probably end up putting the switches in the trunk/under the hood with the setup itself. I'd only really use it on the track anyway, so I could just pop the trunk and turn everything on before a pass...
Any thoughts?
Black and Red leather interior
GMPP Tune
K&N Filter
Nitto NT05
Automatic
70K miles
Owner since July 2011

'86 Trans Am
Red/Black

'03 Yamaha R6
Black/Silver
Richard_Strahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Glove box,
LLLFLY
Best Interior 2012 NASSM
2nd American Legends 2013
DDMWORKS Loaded, Wind Restrictor
lllfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllfly View Post
Glove box,
LLLFLY
Lot easier to access rather than popping the trunk. Lot easier than putting it behind the screen.
Woodgrain interior
Diamond pattern console cover
gladmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

How many switches do you need ? The trim piece below the radio has room for at least three beside the seatbelt warning light. More if you eliminate that. If you use the correct style, they look pretty stock. I have my seat heater switches there.

If you want a pop-up, do it in the piece that surrounds the center stack hvac outlets. The part that extends horizontally toward the windshield could be made into a door fairly easily. Much simpler than messing with the head unit at least.

If you only needed one button you could get an Opel GT driver's side lower bolster and use the second fog light switch mounting hole.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (19)
Send a message via AIM to SaturnSkyDude
I don't know what type of nitrous set up you are running but here is a link I found that has a lot of info on the subject. Please let us know how it works out for you.

This Is What You Need To Run Nitrous - LOOK HERE!
5 Speed LSD
Chrome Wheels
6-Disc CD Monsoon
Stubby B Antenna
K&N air filter
Enjoying another cancer free day :)
SaturnSkyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

SaturnSkyDude, I actually have that page bookmarked, lol. Its where I got the idea in the first place, but thank you ^^

JRinKY, I never thought about replacing the airbag warning light... I just hate to drill into the stock plastic, but that way seems more reversable if I ever had to. Thanks ^^

lllfly & gladmaker, I hate to use the glove box... kinda my only means of storage besides the console... :/

I actually have a bigger question now... maybe should post it in a different thread, but here is just as good.
I'm really just trying to get to 400HP, and my current setup is making 300HP. I figured I could just throw on some Nitrous, about 75 shot, and install a 3" Magnaflow and that'd get me close enough. But now I'm wondering if I should scrap the Nitrous for a DDM GT2871 turbo (or a Hahn 20g, but I'm confused as to whether I'd have to have a non-stock downpipe or not). My only concern is that I have the GMPP Tune... and my boost can go up to 26 PSI. Would that much boost from the 2871 be too much for my stock engine to handle? I'm just wanting something fast to dick around at the track, but still be a daily driver. That's why I like the Nitrous idea, I can toggle it off/on as I wish for passes. But I do like the idea of a bigger turbo... What do you guys think? :/

EDIT:
Hmm... or this?:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...charger-72769/
When he say's "bolt on", does he mean that it's supported by the stock setup? If I get a bigger turbo, I don't want to have to upgrade a thousand other odds and ends to handle the power.
GMPP Tune
K&N Filter
Nitto NT05
Automatic
70K miles
Owner since July 2011

'86 Trans Am
Red/Black

'03 Yamaha R6
Black/Silver

Last edited by Richard_Strahl; 01-01-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Two more options for you are: in the storage compartment between the seats and, if you don't have to access it while driving, under the center arm rest.

As far as your "new" question is concerned, you can probably find most of the answers with a search. If that doesn't get you what you want you are much more likely to get an answer by starting a new thread. In either case, the Solstice forum may actually be a better source of information.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
Old 01-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
Two more options for you are: in the storage compartment between the seats and, if you don't have to access it while driving, under the center arm rest.

As far as your "new" question is concerned, you can probably find most of the answers with a search. If that doesn't get you what you want you are much more likely to get an answer by starting a new thread. In either case, the Solstice forum may actually be a better source of information.
I'm actually using that for storage... :/ Lol, I can't complain about our car's lack of it, because I was well aware of that when I bought it, but I have to use what they gave us

However, under the center arm rest... how easy is it to access that? :o

Fair enough, I'll just go ahead and create a new thread. Thanks, budd ^^
GMPP Tune
K&N Filter
Nitto NT05
Automatic
70K miles
Owner since July 2011

'86 Trans Am
Red/Black

'03 Yamaha R6
Black/Silver
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Strahl View Post
However, under the center arm rest... how easy is it to access that?
It's not something you would want to have to do on a daily basis. If you only needed to do it at the track, it could be workable. Use both hands and pull up on the rear of the panel. It will snap up and then pull it to the rear. To reinstall, insert the front first with the tabs and then snap the rear down. You will need to pull the parking brake up.
Woodgrain interior
Diamond pattern console cover
gladmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Richard_Strahl : I'm actually using that for storage... :/ Lol, I can't complain about our car's lack of it, because I was well aware of that when I bought it, but I have to use what they gave us
I use mine too, but it is tall and narrow, and nothing I put in it reaces the top. Switches could be installed at the top of the space, leaving the rest for storage.
Quote:
However, under the center arm rest... how easy is it to access that? :o
As gladmaker says. Lift the back sharply. Slide to the rear, lift the font sharply. The hand brake lever does have to be up. And I only suggested it because of the limited access you say you need. If you do go that route, I suggest removing the spring clips from the retainer tabs. It makes access much easier, and will help avoid wearing out or breaking the plastic parts involved.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
Old 12-09-2013, 01:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
bkw

Magnet (reed) switches behind the panel under th head unit. Completely invisible an no external moving parts. They make n.o., n.c., and spdt ones and even latching ones. So with a latching one you could mimick a rocker or push-on-push-off by passing a magnet close without having to hold it there.

But maybe that's a bit too finnicky to do while in the thick of things.

How's this for stealth... mout a push button under the center console, to the left or right of the shift lever, near the front/top corner, with the button pointing sideways in towards the leather shift boot. The button is invisible, but you can press the button right through the shift boot. And it's a solid, tactile, mechanical button unlike the reed switch idea.
bkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Why not contact DDM and ask if they could do a custom centre console for you with a small hinged panel - you could use push-to-release latches on a panel hinged at one side and the switches would be revealed. Or create it yourself out of a stock tunnel cover.
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1965 Jensen CV8,
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT (sold)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2013 Mazda 3 Sport
Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (13)
If you use the Opel dash with the 2 fog light switches..any modification is easily done and it is factory looking in appearance. Just 4 screws to replace the dash piece and you can easily purchase it here in the USA.
marlboromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion