Saturn Sky Forum banner

Mud Flaps

26K views 60 replies 28 participants last post by  Windancer 
#1 ·
Can someone post some pics of the splash guards/ mud flaps for me? i want a pair and not sure what they look like

#4 ·
That's kinda what i'm looking for, i'd like to get the painted kind, but those would work... how much were they? Any GM Part numbers?

#7 ·
Purchased mine from GMPartsDirect front and rear, for a total of $71.34, installed them myself...took all of maybe 20 minutes...I suggest cleaning the area of all debris and make sure its good and clean before installation. Here are some pics after the install. Id suggest using the actual GM parts for proper fit to the body panels...with aftermarket, you're never assured of it fitting just right, or possibly having to trim in some way to fit properly.

Attachments

#10 ·
#11 ·
I have the GM set on my car. I don't really like the look but they save the paint. I also have them on my truck. It has the black fender flairs so they look better on that. My truck has 160,000 miles on it and many trips over the passes in snow. No rock chips any where on the sides. Wish I could say the same for the hood. The ones made by GM are easy to install. You could have them painted to match but as my car is Midnight Blue they dont look too bad black.

#14 ·
I actually like the way they look, to each their own. They are flat black on my Onyx black, look nice. I also ordered upgraded suspension from the factory which makes the car sit a little differently, slightly lower in front, I haven't had any issues with the flaps doing any damage to the fenders when hitting the ground and I did hit the passenger front over a curb pulling into a parking lot that hit the flap, no problems.

#15 ·
I haven't had any issues with the flaps doing any damage to the fenders when hitting the ground and I did hit the passenger front over a curb pulling into a parking lot that hit the flap, no problems.
Got lucky, wait until to really hit the mud flaps square and hard....
As you know because the have mud flaps installed onto your car as you say here. These flaps are up against the fenders from the underside. When you hit a speed bump it pulls the flap edge back that results in crack fenders...
Good luck with your fenders because I didn't have any...... :cheers:

#17 · (Edited)
factory flaps - not lowered - no damage (yet)

I have the factory mud flaps all round - they are very rigid and I do believe I have scrapped them a number of times on the speed bumps that my son's school so thoughtfully installed right after I got the car. So far as I can tell no damage to the fenders (yet) but I am only talking about crawling over speed bumps and every so often coming down off on a little faster/harder than intended - they were even so kind as to install a second row of bumps spaced almost exactly as far apart as the wheel base o the Sky - and across both lanes - and a few of the soccer moms with their SUVs must be afraid of them since they dart over in front of me in try to miss the bumps with at least one side of the car - dumb things is that I have seen on more than one occasion someone try to avoid them only to scoot over so far as to catch the other set meaning no benefit whatsoever and the risk of a collision if the person in the other lane is not paying attention.

Actually I am thinking instead of map flaps I will start calling them speed-bump detectors.

#20 ·
Jim I wrote something about the Mud Flaps a while ago on this site, all you have to remember is: If you lower your car take them off...... I busted my fenders going over a speed bump because of it. I now only keep the rear ones on which I'm thinking of removing (just for the look)....

#23 ·
Mike take a look at my pictures in my album and you will see they are no good for you... I had them painted Sunburst yellow. Besides, I don't have the front set, they went into the trash with the busted fenders.... If you want the Yellow rear back splash I'll mail them to you, just let me know....

#22 ·
Thanks Vic, and Mike!

I have no intention of lowering my car, at least not until I get a new house with a bigger garage. So the goal here is to protect the car as best I can while driving in crappy weather. When I saw Mike's I realized they look pretty good on the car, so now I want some.:cheers:

Jim :cool:

PS No worries Mike, I wont copy everything you did!:jester:

#31 ·
I went another route. I wanted to protect my car also, but do not really like the look of mud flaps. I just ordered some 3m paint protection kit that includes protecting the area behind the wheels and also along the rocker panels and up along the bulge in front of the rear wheels (this is the area that actually seems to suffer more, at least on my car). Price was about $170 inc. shipping and install kit. I already have this stuff protecting the hood & bumper and have been very happy with it. If anyone is interested I will post pics of the install when I receive it.

-GT

#37 · (Edited)
So I finally got around to installing the 3m rocker kit. It turned out well, but not without some issues and panic! They should really include some vehicle-specific instructions for installation. I watched all the general install videos and had a good handle on it, but when it came time to install the large piece that runs below the door and up the flare in front of the rear wheel I had major problems. The piece appeared to be cut completely wrong ... no way it would fit properly it was the wrong size/shape. With this thing dripping wet and dangling in my hands I didn'y know what to do, LOL. I then figured it out ... the piece was cut so that you had to fold it around the door sill and actually folds around into the recessed area behind where the door closes. This certainly was not obvious, especially when looking at the problem with the door closed. I also didn't think the stuff would actually make it around those tight curves and stick, but with a little work and a few squirts of the alcohol mix it went down without too much of a fight. I'll give them credit for knowing the Sky and having a great pattern for it (PM me if you want to know who I bought it from - they are not a contributing vendor).

Sorry, no pics at the moment. Not sure they'd actually prove much as I don't think you'd notice it in a pic anyway. You have to look pretty hard in person to know that it is there. I feel much better now knowing my Sky is protected :).

-GT

Attachments

#32 ·
That would be great, but it is like closing the barn door after the cows are out on mine. I am all chipped up in front, plus the $170 is a LOT for a very used car like mine.

Mike has it, and it looked good on his, and works well though. You should be quite happy with it.

#38 ·
I only realized I have to remove the guards after my first AutoX with the lowered suspension. They are pretty scraped up, but I should be able to save them. Wish I read this earlier :)

#39 ·
I put the cheap PepBoys ones on mine. They look good, and are very flexable. No worries about damage to the fenders when they hit, and they do hit!

So far I have worn them down about 1/4". I expect they will stop wearing down about the time they stop hitting! :lol:

They look fine where they wore down, only wear on the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.