Saturn Sky Forum banner

Possible sale... looking for feedback...

6K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  SKY Spy 
#1 ·
Hi y'all. It's been a little while since I have posted here, mostly because I have been seriously considering selling Lucy.

I have decided to purchase the very soon to be available 17' Honda Civic Type R and the easiest way for me to afford it is to sell my Sky.

I only have 26,0085 miles on her. GMPP, Magnaflow Cat-Back, Fujita CAI (I have the OEM Airbox available), Lil-Chromies, Sky Luggage, High-End HIDs and LEDs Foglights.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is price. I have seen them go from $16K to $23K. Not sure where to go with this.

I do have a dent to take care off (or not if the new owner rather not) and the drivers side headlight has a small crack on it but no moisture gets in. Don't think it's worth getting another headlight unless someone just wants it perfect. Also the usual chin scratches that these all get with time. :banghead::banghead:

Any thoughts?

BA... :cheers:

See less See more
#4 ·
So many variables, how fast do you want to sell it. Timing is right to get max dollar, but on top of the uniqueness of the vehicle, you have mod's will some will like and others will run from. Yeah I think you have the range right.

GOOD LUCK

Reactions: SKY Spy
#5 ·
I know... It's kind of a loaded question... >:)

Not in a huge hurry but would like to see it go in the next 2 months...

I imagine the low side will sell it pretty quick but the high side might be for the "right" buyer...

Thanks for the feedback...

BA

#6 ·
Looking for feedback, Any thoughts......

Personally, I don’t think (or I know) you will not even get close to the numbers you posted above...
My 2009 Sky had just about everything a Kappa could have ($10K in upgrades) with the exception of a V8, in super excellent condition with just under 5K miles and it went for $23,500 4 months ago….
If I can recall your Sky is a 2007, If I’m correct in the year, expect to get around 9-11K dollars….
Good Luck!

#13 ·
Personally, I don’t think (or I know) you will not even get close to the numbers you posted above...
My 2009 Sky had just about everything a Kappa could have ($10K in upgrades) with the exception of a V8, in super excellent condition with just under 5K miles and it went for $23,500 4 months ago….
If I can recall your Sky is a 2007, If I’m correct in the year, expect to get around 9-11K dollars….
Good Luck!
But your's was HIGHLY customized, which I believe, limits the number of buyers, and lowers the offer price for many. Now if you have time you can hold firm to your price and eventually find that one other person who wants exacatly what you have done and is willing to pay for it. Redline with 5k miles should be around 20k-25k which is in the range you got. I think he posted a range of 16k - 25k and yeah at 15k he would sell it quick, 25k could take a year but you will find someone to pay that.

Reactions: SKY Spy
#7 ·
Thanks. I hope you're wrong. We'll see then.

I will list it on the higher end or best offer and see what happens.

Thanks again!!!

BA

#8 ·
Hey SKYSpy,

Nice to see that you are still around.

As a data-point for you, I just bought a 2008 red/red RL (to replace the one I totaled) here in Texas.

His was completely stock and he was asking "$16,500 but willing to negotiate".
It had 32K miles and was in very good (but not perfect) shape.

I didn't want to pay more than $14K, and he didn't want less than $15K. We ended up settling at $14,600. Which is probably a fair price.

Unless you can find someone who values your mods very highly, I suspect that $15K is about what you can expect to get.

If you had posted this a few months ago, I'd have been happy to buy yours instead! :smile:

Reactions: The Carrier
#9 ·
mbeardsley and Sky Spy, there were only 170 color override Skys sold for the 2008 model year, and between the three of us we've owned four of them.

I wish I knew how many were red/red.

:cheers:

#12 ·
I have some info that I was able to derive from the CompNine data - back when they had a really nice method of searching/sorting the data. I am at work now, but I will post what I have this evening.

I wish that I had done a more complete analysis back then, but I do have some useful data.

Reactions: lorennerol
#14 ·
SKYSpy . .
I have to agree with davhamm. I have bought and sold 3 Sky RLs with GMPP turbo and CAI upgrades. With almost all interested buyers, nearly all were interested in low mileage, good body and interior condition, maintenance records and wheel / tire condition. Since it was considered "factory", the GMPP upgrades were a plus. Everything else, like Solo cat-back, DDM braces, etc basically were of no interest or a detriment to sale.
I know that you invested time and $$$ on customizing, but as davhamm points out, it will limit the number of people interested in buying. To command a higher selling price, the Sky may be on the market longer.
If you are willing to sell at a lower price point (say 15 to 16K), I think that you could sell it fairly quickly.
I used,Autotrader and CarGurus to get the Skys sales exposure. CraigsList was a bust. You may even find eBay a good way to sell. They get a lot of traffic. All 3 of my Skys were sold to guys who were hundreds of miles away.
Wishing you well and a high price on your sale of your Sky.

#19 ·
Well, you guys had me questioning my memory and price range. But one quick check at Choptops' low millage thread, confirmed my belief of what people are asking for these cars with low (sub 30K) miles on them.

#20 ·
Well I've seen a polar white one with only 1000 miles on it, yes only 1k miles on it, and they were selling it for 19k. Keep in mind this car was in PERFECT condition and looked like the car just rolled outta the factory. So I wouldn't expect to get higher than 19k that's for sure. Oh and it was an RL.

#21 ·
You also have to take in to account that "asking" price and "selling" price are two different things.

When I bought mine a couple of months ago the asking price was $16,500, but the selling price was $14,600.

Sure, you can ask for $25K, but you are likely going to have to settle for a lot less.

#22 · (Edited)
Well I went ahead and "cleaned up" the thread of the OFF TOPIC posts so... there... :cheers:

BTW, Lucy it's going to the body shop on Monday to repair a dent and paint by the drivers side headlight and I will have it back by Wednesday so I can get it detailed and ready to put for sale...

Anyone has an opinion on the auction site The best vintage and classic cars for sale online | Bring a Trailer ???

Seems like it would be an appropriate first attempt, right? :willy:

BA

#23 ·
Don't know much about that site, I sold my Corvair on Ebay, Got way more than I expected. I had time. I put it up originally with what I felt was a silly high price (like nearly double what I thought I could get. don't remember exact prices but I think I was hoping for $4k put it up for $8k or $9K) Buy it now, with make offer. Within a few days I got an offer of something like $6500 or $7k. Needless to say I accepted the offer. Spoke with the buyer it was the exact color combo his wife wanted, and he was VERY happy to get it at that price. You will never get a high offer if you don't start high. But again, do you have time or do you just want to sell. Anyhow, I probably should monitor bring a trailer, but never really have. So I don't know how sales there compare to Ebay. But EVERYBODY has heard of ebay, not so much bring a trailer.

#29 ·
Well, just here to report I just sold Lucy a few hrs ago on eBay.

End up selling on a Sevond Chance offer to the highest bidder that didn't hit reserve for a buy it now of $15,400.

Buyer is in Tucson, AZ.

Will be sad to see her go but my new IRA will have a nice starting balance and I will have a decent down-payment for the next toy, the 2017' Honda Civic Type R!!!

BA

#31 ·
#32 ·
"In the end, despite its worse ride quality, lacking turning circle, ho-hum interior, and compromised everyday practicality, the Focus RS comes out on top as the champ."

There's a reason the 17' Civic Type R is the fastest FWD production vehicle around the Nurburgring.

The Ford Focus RS is SLOWER.

I'm not racing 0-60 on a daily basis so the Civic Type R is the Choice for me.

BA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.