Saturn RL Comparision - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2006, 05:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very nice comparison. THIS is the kind of thing that benefits this forum! I salute you!
The Sky is my 4th Saturn and 2nd Redline.

Last edited by HiredGun; 07-14-2006 at 05:19 PM.
HiredGun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2006, 06:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiredGun
Very nice comparison. THIS is the kind of thing that benefits this forum! I salute you!
Thanks. I did not add the Sol GXP becuase it is basically a Sky Rl with different styling and I see no purpose of comparing the two. Use this comparision for Sol GXP against this.
http://cafepress.com/wholesky
http://cafepress.com/RichDesign
http://richmcclelland.imagekind.com
richmcc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmcc
There has been some talk about the Sky RL being to expensive and they may just as well get a S2000, BMW Z4 or Datsun Z. So I put together a comparison of the Saturn Sky Redline vs Comparable Roadsters (Not including looks ).

I used the compare vehicles features at Saturn.com. I then updated the Sky's statisitcs to reflect a fully loaded from the factory Sky RL. I then visited the three other cars websites to get a list of features that were not included in the compare. Since the base price of the others roadsters were 4-6k above a fully loaded RL, l felt it a fair comparision.

Note, since this basically a price versus features list, I kept the comparison to yes/no. These other roadsters may have more options or a better optional stereo, but they are not included in the base price.

If you feel I missed something please let me know and I will update it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~richmcc1/SaturnRL.htm

I personally feel that for extra features of the other cars do not match the added price any more than a certain dealers 9000.00 Performance package does.

Updated: 0/7/2006 1:30 PDT. (Thanks KappaMan)
Added detailed wheel info.
Added Ipod integration
Added A/V Jack

The Model Names are now links to thier site where I got the info.

Thanks for making this a sticky post.
Wow! I'm impressed. Great Job Thanks for the info.
SKYBOYONE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 10:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (4)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Windows have light tint

I know according to the Saturn online consultant the side windows are not tinted but if you look at any sky the windows are not clear. On a previous post it was said from GMinthedrivway that:
Most all GM cars come with a light tint on all the windows, typically 70% on the front sides and 70 or 75% on the windshield. AFAIK that is the legal maximum for front and front/side window tint. Back side and back windows can be opaque.
So when you state that the Sky does not have tint yes it does not have a dark tint but the windows are tinted. I know when I looked at the Sky's at my dealer the windows were not clear, they did not have the limo tint but they were tinted.

TulsaSky
07 Midnight Blue Red Line Sky
Born 10/03/2006 Delivered 11/14/2006
TulsaSky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2006, 12:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

depreciation will be killer on a GM vs a BMW or a Honda. So long term you might actually get all that extra money back that you paid extra for the Honda or BMW.

Then there is reliability, I know the Honda will be rock solid so maintence would not be a factor, the Saturn turbo engine is unproven, and if it was a German made BMW I think it would be better than a USA made Z4 if the Z3 is any indication.

Compare insurance, which will be cheaper, I know the Turbo always gets the insurance people up in arms, but so does the higher price tag of the other 2, so it seems like a wash. The S2000 is a popular target among theives, making rates higher.

The RL gets better gas milage.

The other 2 cars get more gears.

Trunk space goes to the other 2.

It all comes down to how many trips you have to make to the dealer to get something fixed, we won't know that for a few years, but edmunds rates the cars like this for reliability:

JD Powers:

S2000 gets 5/5 on mechanic reliability
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/hon...s_jdpower.html

Z4 gets a 5/5 on "initial quality" <--- pretty worthless 90 days of ownership, I want to know if it will last 2=3 years out:
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2004/bmw...s_jdpower.html

As far as GM turbo I could compare the Sky RL to, there really isn't anything since its all new, the cloest I could find would be GM's SAAB 9-3, Turbo.
It did very poorly for mechanical reliability at 2/5
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/saa...s_jdpower.html

So I guess we can hope the Sky turns out to be Honda bullet proof, that is pretty much what you are paying that extra $5000 for. If GM would do a 60,000 mile warranty like Lexus, or a 100,000 like Hyndaui it would go a long way towards easing people back into domestics.

NO MORE BAD DEALERS TO RATE. Saturn is dead, R.I.P.

Last edited by TOY4TWO; 07-25-2006 at 12:49 AM.
TOY4TWO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2006, 12:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (7)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Price

Well now that we can use the Build Your Own on sturn.com for a Red Line - I can say that my Red Line order will be $28,960 plus $186 for mudflaps - before tax (maybe plus a $595 destination charge - not sure if that is include or not - adn the web site does say each dealer sets his own price).

Which means that it is about $5 less than an S2000 - and only about $2000 more than a base model Sky with the options that I would add.

So now the only real question for me is whether I can make it happen any sooner then April of 2007 (which is when I get my year end bonus - which would make a nice down payment in order to keep the monthly payments below $400). Then again - that is very close to 2008 model being available - so maybe I wait until June of 2007 to see what changes are in store for 2008 model and either pick up one of the last 2007 or the first 2008.
MCW Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2006, 02:08 PM   #22 (permalink)
First 2000

Sorry to come into this late....

The EcoTec should rate very well for reliability. Only time will tell, of course, but it's been an excellent motor so far. In my experience worin at dealers, I will say on the record that Honda, Toyota and others get away with a few things that GM or Ford could never pull off, things that effect percieved and real world reliability. If GM has a motor that blows headgaskets, for example, and they issue a TSB to dealers to replace them as they come in for service, it;s be front page news and another black eye for domestics. Toyota has done this very thing, very quietly, on two occasions that i am aware of - replacing very noteeworthy parts known to be subpar - without ever telling the owner the work was done. Go in for a lube oil & filter, there are "some delays", and they pffer you a ride or a loaner. you get your car back, it has a new HG, and you were never told the work was done. Anyone who's owned a late '90's Toyota 3 liter V6 can tell you that the valve seals are total crap, often necessitating a $2000 complete top end rebuild well before 100k miles. Nobody says anything about it.

Gawd that bugs me, lol.

Anyway - great chart! How's about adding some manufaturers claimed performance numbers?

And you say you didn't include a catagory for styling - but you added pics! That is SOOO unfair to the non-Sky cars!!!! :p

Technical detail - you list "tire size and height", and list for instance 18x8, 245". 18x8 is rim size and width in inches - the 245 is tire width, in mm! :o
Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2006, 11:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Honda is giving $3000 off MSRP on the S2000 now, so its about the same as the RedLine (provided the dealer isn't charging over MSRP...)

Now the Sky has a much better warranty than Honda!

NO MORE BAD DEALERS TO RATE. Saturn is dead, R.I.P.
TOY4TWO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2006, 05:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
And the discounting of the S2000 will ABSOLUTELY corrode resale value well in excess of what S2000 can imagine. In the meanwhile, Kappas will maintain fairly good value on the NA's and the turbos will probably see little if any depreciation through MY2007 due to lack availability, and if there is a price increase for MY2008 then depreciation will be nill.
painted calipers, SP Catless DP
MagnaFlow 3" single cat-back,
Koni S/A's, Kurt hitch,
18x11 CW's, 315/30 Hoosiers for Solo
other "stuff"
snaponbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2006, 06:27 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberus View Post
Interesting stuff. I compared these and a few others over the winter as options when considering deferring or completely walking away from the Sky.
While the base Sky may not compare to these to most folks and cost wasn't a determining factor, although price was, I had one more criteria which swung the difference.

S2000 - Not a Sky
BMW Z4 - Not a Sky
350Z - Not a Sky

I think K-Man has a tag line for this one.
Right on! I wanted a UNIQUELY HOT vehicle, and none of the others came close at all to the Sky in the styling category. They don't get a second look from me, except maybe in my REARVIEW mirror.
Sounds like the RL Sky is way better price-wise, too.
RCVD NOV 5, 2006
K&N Magnaflow Trifecta
gmsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2006, 07:10 PM   #26 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Redkeygunsky

Thanks for the information. Very thorough. It just solidifies my desire for the Turbo Sky.
Turbo Sky
5 Sp Manual
Premium Trim Package
Monsoon Audio
Tan top
Splash guards
glkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #27 (permalink)

Thanks for the info.
BigBlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOY4TWO View Post
Honda is giving $3000 off MSRP on the S2000 now, so its about the same as the RedLine (provided the dealer isn't charging over MSRP...)

Now the Sky has a much better warranty than Honda!
One thing people should consider is that you can often get well below MSRP on other vehicles. Perhaps invoice is a closer benchmark to use than MSRP for non SKY cars. Good luck in doing that with the Sky RL.
tjb30i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2007, 09:30 AM   #29 (permalink)

iam pretty sure that hid's and power tops comes factored in the price of the imports. so that might be the price difference of the cars.so basically these car are all great in their own way and is all people's preferences on looks and performance and price.

i personally own a s2000 and my gf owns a sky rl and i like them both each has its own quality. i do think the s2000 is over priced for the options it has but so is all the cars on the list.i love the sky but the s2000 has the fun factor. its a bike on on 4 wheels. on straight line performance they are all basically the same.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #30 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Excellent job!

The only comment I have on chart correctness is: "Front Console Armrest" I rest my arm on the tranny hump. It really acts like an armrest. Because you sit so low this is part of the design. It may not be a "feature", but there is a center arm rest.
xmicro_Redline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.