It's that time of year where I need to prepare the cars for another season of long drives, trips to the track, and my generally aggressive driving style. Not knowing the maintenance history of my Sky, and given that it is now 6 years old, I plan to replace all of the fluids:
- Coolant: 9 quarts, Dexcool
- Transmission: 2.75 quarts, Amsoil MTGQT-EA
- Differential: 1.25 quarts, Amsoil Severe Gear SVGQT-EA
- Brakes/Clutch: Amsoil DOT4 BF4SN-EA
- Power Steering: Amsoil Multi-Vehicle PS Fluid (PSFCN-EA), Not sure how much I need.
Now, changing the coolant seems a bit involved on this car, but there seem to be plenty of instructions on the web, so it shouldn't be an issue. The transmission and differential are also straightforward. The brakes are also straightforward, and I shall change the fluid using a power bleeder, which has always worked well for me.
But, dearest reader, I would appreciate any insight regarding changing the power steering fluid on this car, as well as the clutch fluid. I plan to flush the clutch fluid using the power bleeder, but is it easy to open the other end of the system? On the CTS-V the bleeder is very difficult to reach, is it a similar situation for this car?
For the power steering, I typically disconnect the low pressure return line at the power steering cooler and then feed fresh fluid into the system, but I don't know if this car has a cooler, or another convenient place to open the return line. Does anyone have any experience or tips for changing the PS fluid?
Also on my list:
- Replace brake pads with Hawk Street Pads. Stock brakes still have material left, but I find their performance to be poor for any enthusiastic driving.
- Decide on new brake rotors. Ideally zinc coated/cryogenic rotors, but I'd prefer not to have drilled or slotted rotors. Any recommendations welcome.
- I need to replace the foam that holds the top down in the trunk. I have seen a few solutions on the forum, but if anyone has a particularly good solution, I would be interested.
- I'd like to replace the fuel filter, any idea where it's located?
- Any recommendations for convertible top cleaner/protector?
- My gas door doesn't close completely. I haven't seen any one that had a similar problem, but if you have and you know how to fix it, I would be keen to know as well.
- Replace the air filter. I already have a new element.
- (Maybe) Buy an HPtuner and install the GMPP tune (and remove the annoying 149mph top speed limit from my CTS).
I also have a set of new Michelin Pilot Super Sports waiting to be installed. I may also buy a new radio this year, I would like to have European tuning.
Did I miss anything? Any feedback appreciated.