Start Engine Button - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Saturn Sky Redline Discussion Forum for discussion of aspects of the anticipated hi-performance version of the Saturn Sky.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladmaker View Post
Especially if you still have to use the key to unlock the steering.
Indeed.

And to boot, if you didn't have to unlock the key start, it would be because the car had been switched to a full button start system with electronic key cards. You'd then have issues like some of the cars with this feature (button start as along as key card is within sensing distance) - your car can be started by a thief if you are sitting at an outdoor café with the key card within range. Similarly, if you start the car and your wife wanders off with the key card, you can drive it as far as you want, but once you stop it, that's it, it won't restart without the card - this has happened where wife starts car, husband takes over thinking he has the key card (which wife has and takes with her) and is far from home having just irretrievably stopped the car when he finds out he is in the glue.

I think button start is highly overrated.....
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1965 Jensen CV8,
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT (sold)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2013 Mazda 3 Sport
Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have a Malibu that doesn't have push button start but does have paddle shifters on the wheel. It impresses the hell out of my friends but in reality they are completely useless.
Sly Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

My old man has a 2012 Ford Taurus with push button start/Key Card...The Key Card has to be inside the car before it will start...I was doing a test trying to find out the rang of the Key Card and found out there wasn't any...
TonyRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

the wife's Grand Cherokee has button start and we both love it, but to add it as aftermarket would be too much of a hassle to do correctly and not have security issues.
NYRhockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Indeed.

And to boot, if you didn't have to unlock the key start, it would be because the car had been switched to a full button start system with electronic key cards. You'd then have issues like some of the cars with this feature (button start as along as key card is within sensing distance) - your car can be started by a thief if you are sitting at an outdoor café with the key card within range. Similarly, if you start the car and your wife wanders off with the key card, you can drive it as far as you want, but once you stop it, that's it, it won't restart without the card - this has happened where wife starts car, husband takes over thinking he has the key card (which wife has and takes with her) and is far from home having just irretrievably stopped the car when he finds out he is in the glue.

I think button start is highly overrated.....
at least in the wife's car if the car is running and the person holding the key leaves, the car will beep and message display on the screen letting you know the key is out of range.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey23 View Post
at least in the wife's car if the car is running and the person holding the key leaves, the car will beep and message display on the screen letting you know the key is out of range.
Very smart of them! OTOH, have you ever known a woman that paid attention to beeps and lights.....(just kidding ladies!)
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1965 Jensen CV8,
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT (sold)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2013 Mazda 3 Sport
Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Very smart of them! OTOH, have you ever known a woman that paid attention to beeps and lights.....(just kidding ladies!)
i know, that's why as soon as the beep goes off i gotta roll down the window and yell "hey, you got the keys!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Redline Discussion