Saturn Sky Forum banner

Valve gasket leak

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  skersfan 
#1 · (Edited)

#2 ·
If you mean cam-cover gasket, then it's not a big deal. A lot of folks take the cam cover's off to paint/polish etc., and it seems like it's a 50-50 chance if they seal again afterward - even though it's a rubber seal.

It's just a little bit of engine oil, and as long as the level didn't drop too far (which is unlikely from that trace leak) there should be no impact at all.

#3 ·
We are seeing the valve cover gaskets leaking more and more on these engines, it is becoming pretty common. It is not that big of deal, since like TS said, it probably did not leak out that much oil. Changing it is pretty straight forward also and does not take that much time.

Dave

#4 ·
Dave the two pressed (appearing) tubes running into the cover. I pulled one and it came about and 1/8 of an inch out, but does not want to further. Is there a retaining clip on the inside once it is loose. Getting ready to pull it off this weekend. Do not want to break anything. Both seem quite solid, both are on passenger side, one to turbo. Not sure where the other one goes, just wanted to get the question out for an answer.

Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
Seems like you are talking about the Crankcase ventilation tubes...
One is linking the cover to the turbo housing (exit-tube btw) and the other one links it to the charge tube(ends on a black plastic valve directly mounted on the lower charge tube. The big black plastic tube...)
In fact they ARE a pain in the ass to remove, you could try it using multiple screwdrivers but I won`t recommend that as it often destroys the tubes. (suprisingly expensive little bastards, these tubes)
Try to buy hose removal tool. I think the size is 3/8".

Still not easy, but you won`t destroy the tubes.

#7 ·
Yes, I have already broken the elbow connection, while cleaning it a couple of weeks ago. I will get the tool today. Trying to have the cover powder coated so will need to remove both hoses somehow. I searched, but this was all that I came up. Thanks to both of you guys, TS again as usual.

#8 · (Edited)
Didn't someone else tell you last night that you probably would need the tool that you would use to remove fuel lines from fuel rails??? LOL

TS, since he is going to get some of these parts powder coated, for the B side, could you leave the hose attached to the valve cover, remove the cover, then disconnect that hose from the cover?

#11 ·
I will see if I can get the tool tomorrow. I was not looking at it, I knew it was the PCV hose as I broke the elbow a couple of

weeks ago!!!!! Missed getting it there today, no big deal. Thanks for all the information. This stuff is above my pay grade, no carb, no headers, no Mallory ignition, what am I supposed to do?

Its in the garage Robo, all alone, no one abusing it, setting in perfect silence, all sealed up, just waiting to be unleashed!!!! lol

#15 ·
Yea that is what I ended up doing. I got it off, but destroyed the clip. Of course the hose is 38 bucks at dealership. Not one of the greatest ideas around for the end user.

Dropped my cover off at the powder coaters, charge tubes should be done and the cover by mid week. Close to the silicone tubing of Dave's but not exact. Looking for one of the cam cover, covers. I have seen some in pictures, but have no idea who makes them. Would like to have it done in carbon fiber.

Thanks again TS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.