Speaking from experience, eventually things break if you abuse them enough.
Kill List from my Buick GS 455 Stage 1: (510 lbs of torque):
1. Grenaded Transmission (3 times)
2. Exploded U-Joints (quit counting at the 5th set)
3. Twisted drive shaft (2 times, finally got one built that looked like a 4X4 shaft.)
4. Draft shaft arrived at next intersection before car (1 time)
5. Number of tickets for "Excessive Display of Acceleration" (quit counting at 10)
6. Exploded ring and pinion (2 times)
Oddly enough, I never did officially blow up the engine. Although I completely rebuilt it 3 times.
(When the Lifters would rattle at 7500 RPM, that was my sign it was time to rebuild.
Got to love Buick Big Blocks.