Big turbo skys? - Page 5 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #61 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova-Exarch View Post
You both just reaffirmed my insanity in my co-workers minds (random laughter out of the blue)...

Miller, you coulda just slammed the Supra engine in the Sky :P

Oh wait, that's been done (where as stupidly fast Supras are a new thing, lol)
I thought about a 2j in the sky, but my car was too nice to chop up. Plus the whole "its been done" thing. If I had some beat up NA sky, I would have put more thought into it for sure.

That being said, there were a few reasons to go with a supra mkiv.

1)The parts are all made and just need bought. No custom work required and replacements are always readily available....99% bolt on. (which means I can do the work myself.)

2)When complete, a high HP sky has next to zero market. A supra can be sold without a horrific loss as long as you are patient.

3) Its more rare than a kappa... only ~11k or so were imported to the US over the ten year production span

4) I am addicted to the sound of these cars A big single supra is just very distinct.

In my area, they are ignorantly rare. In NE ohio you are more likely to see bigfoot riding a unicorn than a supra rolling down the road. I have only saw one at a car show in the past few years and it was all stock. I have met a few modded car owners, but they are very few and far between.
miller11386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller11386 View Post
I thought about a 2j in the sky, but my car was too nice to chop up. Plus the whole "its been done" thing. If I had some beat up NA sky, I would have put more thought into it for sure.

That being said, there were a few reasons to go with a supra mkiv.

1)The parts are all made and just need bought. No custom work required and replacements are always readily available....99% bolt on. (which means I can do the work myself.)

2)When complete, a high HP sky has next to zero market. A supra can be sold without a horrific loss as long as you are patient.

3) Its more rare than a kappa... only ~11k or so were imported to the US over the ten year production span

4) I am addicted to the sound of these cars A big single supra is just very distinct.

In my area, they are ignorantly rare. In NE ohio you are more likely to see bigfoot riding a unicorn than a supra rolling down the road. I have only saw one at a car show in the past few years and it was all stock. I have met a few modded car owners, but they are very few and far between.

Lol ya I see why you like it haha. I'm looking for some big power really. I understand there's going to be some lag. Only thing catching me is a lot of people are saying they are chirping 3rd gear? I would have thought with the sky being rwd it would catch a lot sooner. Then again I have read that the gear ratios on these cars are kinda short. My car spins all of second and catches third. So it's gotta catch better in a sky haha. And lastly if doing a engine swap for a sky, what are all the differences between a base model and a redline besides the interior pieces and the engines. Like transmissions the same too? I'm more than likely going with the redline but just if everything's same why not go a little cheaper? Haha really am looking into this because I've heard of some fat tires on the back and being able to hook! Coming from fwd, that's a huge upgrade in itself haha!
ryansalazan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #63 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
A big difference between the 2.4 and LNF is the ECM and what HP Tuners can see and the type of tuning you can do.
AFR is one, if not the biggest example.

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
Elff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #64 (permalink)

IMO there is no reason to swap a sky. the 4cyl does plenty with the right setup. V8 guys mod it for the cool/sound factor.. if you just need hp, you can get plenty from a built LNF, which is cheaper than a V8 swap.

I agree if you planned to just gut the car and make a crazy go-kart where nothing works, definately pickup a 2.4 and gut it. However the RL has a lot of nice features like the ECM, Stock Wideband control, Bilstein suspension, LSD, etc.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #65 (permalink)

Oh so the redline comes with a LSD already? I didn't know that! And I'm not looking to swap a v8 or anything like that in it lol just my lnf that's already built and everything. Should be a direct swap maybe some small changes in motor mounts maybe.. But I like the redline for the fog lights, brake vents, seats with stitching, etc.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #66 (permalink)

If you do a search, their used to be a thread that detailed all the differences.
IMHO, the suspension upgrades are just as important as the turbo.

Since you already have the built LNF, getting a redline so your ECM will work with the built engine seems to be the obvious choice for my small mind

Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #67 (permalink)

Ya I know what you mean. I'm already set on getting the redline, just was curious as to what all differences were between the two and if it would effect the swap in anyway.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
The Cobalts do have a good deal less drivetrain loss then the Kappa's from what we have seen though.
Ryan, don't be so sure about what you think you're going to be improving. There is no way the redline will ever be as fast as your Cobalt. The drivetrain loss is insane (about 15% more than ss/tc). Needless, with the same mods- my redline feels slow as balls (compared to my balt). With the gear ratios, any sort of highway pull need to happen in 4th gear pretty much because you'll be red-lined in 3rd almost instantly (and it's really slow).

And without the roof, the car is as flimsy as a noodle- corning really sucks without suspension mods. The cobalt is 8000% stiffer and handles way better.

I'm not saying i don't love my Redline, but if monster performance is your goal the Cobalt wins by leaps and bounds, even with FWD. But you'll need a sky to drift corners
Naus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #69 (permalink)

I don't agree with the handling. The Solstice proved that it is a solid platform
Add some very cheap suspension upgrades and it is way better than the paper stats suggest.
Just ask anyone who lost 3 years in a Row to Don Knowles in the SCCA T2 class.
His Sol beat Lotus' which are supposed to be the cat's meow of track handling.

Sky to me seems more of an Adult car than the cobalt and totally kills on Looks.

I can't go anywhere without being asked about the car and told how awesome it looks.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naus View Post
And without the roof, the car is as flimsy as a noodle- corning really sucks without suspension mods. The cobalt is 8000% stiffer and handles way better.
Lol someone needs to get a probeam, extreme backbone and LVKFCB.

My sky felt better than the C5 corvette through corners with just the backbone and probeam. Backbone takes all the chassis flex out and the probeam gets rid of the wheel hop and axle flex in a corner.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #71 (permalink)

^ exactly. Someone needs to drive an SS/TC and see how immaculate that drives stock. I'm not hating just stating facts. Suspension on the sky needs work to be decent.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
I don't agree with the handling. The Solstice proved that it is a solid platform
Add some very cheap suspension upgrades and it is way better than the paper stats suggest.
Just ask anyone who lost 3 years in a Row to Don Knowles in the SCCA T2 class.
His Sol beat Lotus' which are supposed to be the cat's meow of track handling.

Sky to me seems more of an Adult car than the cobalt and totally kills on Looks.

I can't go anywhere without being asked about the car and told how awesome it looks.
Amen!! Someone should listen to this guy!!

Sky RL > Cobalt SS

--Christian
cdnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naus View Post
^ exactly. Someone needs to drive an SS/TC and see how immaculate that drives stock. I'm not hating just stating facts. Suspension on the sky needs work to be decent.
All the Sky really needs to make a huge change is different springs and shocks. Even the FE3 components are too soft for my taste.
Add the GMPP offroad package [Don't need the sway bars] or ZOK springs with an aggressive alignment and you will be surprised at the improvement.

That's all that was changed on the T2 Solstice suspension to own their class
3 years in a row.

Then if you add what Miller stated, it gets really fun.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #74 (permalink)

Here are my cars. I don't own the cobalt anymore- why? i prefer RWD, convertible, and body of the Sky. The cobalt is deliciously fast and well handling car, faster and handles better than a LNF kappa (this is fact). Yes, people will have there own opinions on which is better but i don't care- to each their own.

It sounds like you have a large investment in your cobalt, i wouldn't think its worth losing and starting over. traction will still be a big issue with the kappa, i don't think that will go away. That being said, keep your balt and start saving for a redline- there are some amazing deals out there.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #75 (permalink)

It's my opinion that your statement about Fact is opinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion