Saturn Sky Forum banner

Big turbo skys?

26K views 110 replies 24 participants last post by  ryansalazan 
#1 ·
Are there any big turbo skys out there? Im curious as to how your experience with it is and how the transmission is holding up on your power. Im looking more for a big turbo setup not really like a bnr or hybrid turbo. please let me know might be buying a sky soon:thumbs:

#5 · (Edited)
Search in the forum for names like Monazback, GMtech,Lipstick, LFN'n for big turbo setups. All have various setups that you can choose from. As for the Trans, it can hold 500trq reliably. Now, if your the guy thats going to be going to a Drag strip after slapping on a turbo and putting on slicks, don't be surprised if your axles or even diff goes. If your going to be just doing street stuff(like gay rolls) then just watch your shifting with the battleship transmission(clunky) we have.

Can we start by asking you, what are your power goals and for what application will this car be used for?

#9 ·
From experience. The rear diff exploded on a hard drag launch with about 400whp and the splines on the axels snapped. Any sort of hard launching from a dig will break stuff if you are pushing those kind of power levels. Drive shaft shop makes beefier axels and you could upgrade to a quaife diff.

#12 ·
Speaking from experience, eventually things break if you abuse them enough.
:lol::lol:

Kill List from my Buick GS 455 Stage 1: (510 lbs of torque):

1. Grenaded Transmission (3 times)
2. Exploded U-Joints (quit counting at the 5th set)
3. Twisted drive shaft (2 times, finally got one built that looked like a 4X4 shaft.)
4. Draft shaft arrived at next intersection before car (1 time) :rofl:
5. Number of tickets for "Excessive Display of Acceleration" (quit counting at 10)
6. Exploded ring and pinion (2 times)

Oddly enough, I never did officially blow up the engine. Although I completely rebuilt it 3 times.
(When the Lifters would rattle at 7500 RPM, that was my sign it was time to rebuild. :lol:)

Got to love Buick Big Blocks. :thumbs:

#14 ·
I have a 09 redline has an EFR turbo and built engine from Werks. Also a quafe dif, after market magnaflow exhaust, race rad and intercooler. Running for over a year. Lots of power. Well over 400 horsepower. No issues except for header leaking that had to be repaired. Engine will burn oil. Cut oil consumption by using 15-50 mobil one. Looking at replacement of trans with a six speed but the stock trans with an after market clutch and flywheel works great.

#17 ·
And he has not responded to anyone else

#21 ·
I have a 09 sky with EFR turbo and built engine by werks. I have been running for over a year. I had issues with the Werks header leaking. The header was repaired to remove a warp or a bend in the header. Also had higher oil consumption but that was solved by using a thicker oil than stock. The engine is putting out well over 400 hp . I have about 6k miles on the car since the conversion. No issues with the trans or diff but I have had a quafe dif in the car for 3 years. Looking to have DDm drop in a T56 trans. The increased power of the engine needs taller gears ratios and it can use another gear. I get people wanting to run me once and a while. The Sky has not been beat yet.

The EFR turbo is much louder than stock. You can hear the turbo cutting the air at higher power levels. I have found materals that help cut the sound levels to near stock levels.

#22 ·
sorry just now seeing this! this is all really good information! See the plan is, I'm wanting to switch over from the cobalt ss turbo world to the sky redline one! I have a cobalt turbo fully built big turbo, built motor and the bolt ons and whatnot and put down 572 to the ground. Problem is traction isnt my best friend haha. but for FWD it doesnt do bad at all! So im wanting to move the motor into one of these sky's and put some after market wider rims and sticky tires on the back. Anyone interested in a cobalt? haha if need be ill even sell with the race motor :p

#32 ·
no bs i know my way around the lnf motor pretty well... Heres a slightly older video of my 502 whp havent gotten to getting the 572 up on youtube yet. but none the less here you go.. HPD LMR Underground Meet Dyno Night - YouTube my dyno is at 2:17
I am more impressed with the torque number.

What gear did you do the pulls in? Also what turbo are you running on there? The Cobalts do have a good deal less drivetrain loss then the Kappa's from what we have seen though.

Nice numbers though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.