DDMWorks Venom Brace install tip... - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
DDMWorks Venom Brace install tip...

So I ordered this as part of the "12 days of Xmas" promo and I just installed it last night as well as some other bits I picked up for Xmas as well. I have to say that this along with the other two frame braces really make a huge difference in the handling of the car. No flex, push, or body role at all now, which is what I was looking for.

I did want to offer a bit of a tip whilst doing the install for anyone that hasn't done it yet or maybe plans on doing it. First, I didn't need to unhook the negative battery cable or the cooling fan plug. I was able to feed it in, however it did require a second set of hands, thanks to my wife , to guide it in from one side while I grabbed it from the other side and guided it through the wiring on the passenger side being mindful of all the wiring and making sure to not cause to much trauma. If doing this alone, then I might recommend unhooking the battery and fan cable however.

The second tip I have, and maybe the most important, has to do with that bottom bolt on the drivers side that is seemingly impossible to get a wrench on with the brace in place, even using a ratcheting wrench. The way to do it seems to enter at a 90 degree angle from the brace on the top side going from the cabin down to the front-end. Slide the wrench in between the A/C lines, which you will have to do blind, unless you can manage to stand on your head . This was the only way I could get a wrench on that bolt and I would say it took me an hour plus two beers to figure out how to get a wrench on this damn thing. Also keep in mind that space it is at a premium on this bolt and I could only manage to still get just a slight turn on the wrench at a time but eventually got it tightened down.

All in all I do have to say it was worth the effort and a great performance increase for the money.
GMPP Stage 2 Tune
Solo High-Flow Cat/K&N air filter
DDMWorks Backbone/Venom Brace/Kappasphere reBAR
18" Chrome Saturn Rims
newmsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
LMAO,
I 2nd it hands down.
LLLFLY
Best Interior 2012 NASSM
2nd American Legends 2013
DDMWORKS Loaded, Wind Restrictor
lllfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I found it impossible to install it by myself. I had my wife to hold on at the driver's side while I reached down on the passenger side to pull it up and toward me. She was able to tilt it up so I could reach my end. I didn't see any reason to disconnect the battery or fan plug as shown in the instructions. I just moved the fan wire out of the way until I had the brace in place and then put the wire back as it was.
For the bottom bolt on the driver's side, I used a ratcheting box end wrench. Due to the confined space, I was only able to move it one click of the ratchet at a time but was eventually able to get it tight. I was tempted to cut off the other end of the wrench to allow more of a swing, but didn't want to ruin a good wrench.
Woodgrain interior
Diamond pattern console cover
gladmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm looking at the cross bay brace. I have the venom brace and the backbone installed and was wondering if the cross bay brace is worth putting on. In reading the description it said when they tested it, that it reduced the movement by 2.1 mm. That doesn't sound like it would be enough to be noticeable.
Have any of you installed it? Did you notice enough difference to make it worthwhile?
Woodgrain interior
Old 01-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

I went the other direction and have the cross-bay (before LV's came out). When I asked, both Dave and LV said you don't need both.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
I went the other direction and have the cross-bay (before LV's came out). When I asked, both Dave and LV said you don't need both.
I'm glad to hear that! Of the 2 choices, I prefer the venom brace as it's less obtrusive, I didn't have to cut or modify anything and it's less money.
Woodgrain interior
Old 01-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Huh, I did it just fine by myself in about half an hour. I was impressed with how simple it was to do, although it is pretty close to one of the A/C lines so I tweaked it out of the way a little bit.
JoshMcMadMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMcMadMac View Post
Huh, I did it just fine by myself in about half an hour. I was impressed with how simple it was to do, although it is pretty close to one of the A/C lines so I tweaked it out of the way a little bit.
That is great and if you have some sort of prior experience or training with working on cars, then this would be a rather easy bolt-on job. I wrote this "tip" write-up for people such as myself who's expertise lies elsewhere but still enjoying doing "DIY" jobs whenever they can.

I think it is important to understand the diversity of the people on this forum... some young, some old, some with military or other specialized training in automotive maintenance or repair, and some with expertise and training in other fields that may need some "tips" like this.
GMPP Stage 2 Tune
Solo High-Flow Cat/K&N air filter
DDMWorks Backbone/Venom Brace/Kappasphere reBAR
18" Chrome Saturn Rims
newmsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

I would agree to the difficulty

I would agree that this install could pose some interesting body positions, getting your hands in there, etc... I was lucky, I had the front fender wells removed, tires off and the turbo out and up on jack stands because I'm doing the 2871 upgrade. (actually doing other things also which is why it is so disassembled) As I was putting the brace in, I did comment to myself, "I can't imagine doing this with all the other stuff installed". Referring to what others mentioned, I might have to give in and ask the wife for help... If I did that, I would never hear the end of it...

Now I can't wait for winter to break and get this thing back on the road....
DDMWorks IC/Charge Pipes
VDI Doors
Solo Hi Flow Cat
DDM Backbone & Pro-beam Brace
Venom Brace
GT2871
Snow Meth Kit
20" Ruff Racing Wheels
Wilwood Big Brake 14" all four
Yo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMcMadMac View Post
How did you "tweak" the A/C line? I installed the venom brace a few days ago and I noticed that it's rubbing against one of the A/C lines which I'm not too happy about. I was thinking of trying to bend it by hand but the connections at the firewall seem fragile enough that I don't want to damage anything...
mstrjon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (13)
You guys got it simple...I have a 2.4 and it was impossible to install it as is...the resonator is in the way...what u have to do (after 2 days of trying to figure this out)...I took it to my Special Know It All Man...he made spacers and lifted it slightly with longer screws...ta da!.

And to be honest...did not feel the difference...of course, my car does not go above 15 MPH.
marlboromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
A/C line. Place a thin sheet of rubber
between the bar and line.
LLLFLY

It does take two to feed the bar . Great mod.
Thanks LV.
Best Interior 2012 NASSM
2nd American Legends 2013
DDMWORKS Loaded, Wind Restrictor

Last edited by lllfly; 04-25-2013 at 08:24 PM.
lllfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

I put mine in when I was replacing my radiator and intercooler. Super easy then
tf02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
How did you "tweak" the A/C line? I installed the venom brace a few days ago and I noticed that it's rubbing against one of the A/C lines which I'm not too happy about. I was thinking of trying to bend it by hand but the connections at the firewall seem fragile enough that I don't want to damage anything...
Just bend it slightly, and gently. They are pretty robust as long as you are not mangling it.
JoshMcMadMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

DDM Venom Brace and Backbone install.

Just installed the DDM LV Brace and the Backbone today.
VB was a piece o' cake... 20 minutes. No issues.
The BB was a bit more difficult. Took two ramps, two jack and a couple jack stands to raise it enough to get under there. Followed by LOTS of ratcheting. Doesn't help that I have a broken wrist too. Finally got the old one off. That last bolt (front pass side) was a bitch. had to drop the exhaust too. Wish I had done that from the get-go, would have been easier to get that last bolt. Anyway, got 3/8 BB installed... decided to piggyback the old one up there too. Needed longer bolts for the last two (rear).
Noticed a difference right away, just backing out of the driveway. Driveway is in desperate need of a repave, and I got used to hearing the air deflector constantly scrape the high spots. No longer. The BB stiffened her up enough, that the air deflector clears all the bumps. Felt much stiffer on the road too.
Even MORE fun to drive now!

Last edited by 09SkyGuy; 05-04-2013 at 05:48 PM.
09SkyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion