Fake side vents - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member

My Photos: (19)
Fake side vents

First I should say this mod was done on a base Sky not a turbo!!

Well, you know me always tinkering with the car.
So I decided to make those side vents really work. First I removed the panel then took a high speed wheel and cut out the back.
After I was done I washed them off thats why the one picture looks funny. It has water droplets on it. Then I put them back on and masked them off and painted them Satin Black. I then made my grill pieces and then installed them just holding them in place with a little silicone. Just to keep bird out really.
I am going to take some more under the hood temps tomorrow to see how they come out.
Attached Thumbnails
Fake side vents-pic_0006.jpg   Fake side vents-pic_0009.jpg   Fake side vents-pic_0011.jpg   Fake side vents-pic_0012.jpg  

Last edited by RickyD; 08-20-2007 at 10:42 PM.
RickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
side vents

Are the panels very hard to get off the car I have been wanting to do this since I got the car but am scared to pull them off due to paint quality.
joker70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (0)
Me to, i think that looks great.
Built 11/06,06,Vin #17944
Purchased 12/22/06 in Santa Clarita CA
3"Magnaflow Catback & CAI
Windrestrictor V2
MrSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Panels

No the panels come off real easy. There are 2 small ones on the top which you can see. Then the ones right behind the tire that go to the fender skirt, about 6 I think. Then there are 3 under the car. Two bigger ones and another small one. Then the fun one. There is one that if you open the door about half way you can get a 1/4 extension in there, from inside the car, to get that one and thats it. I don't know why I didn't do it right away. It took me only about 1 hour to do both. But of coarse I had air tools also.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Thanks Smoker

Old 08-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks did the paint come off when you pulled the screws on the top ones?
joker70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Hate to be a wet blanket ................. but ------------

In June of 2006 there was a national Solstice convention here in Kansas City. GMPP sent a tractor trailer and so did Pontiac division. Lots on people from GM and Pontiac were there. So was a suspension engineer who was driving a pre-production prototype Redline. We had a very nice conversation. One of the topics was the side vents and the hood vents. He made it crystal clear that opening either top and/or side vents would cause some REAL problems. Apparently the air flow through the engine compartment has been pretty carefully developed. The problems he said that WOULD happen with open side vents is that too much hot air would flow out of them and would significantly elevate the temperature of the battery (on one side) and the ECU (on the other side) and would cause the "premature death" (failure) of both. I had no impression that he was blowing smoke up my shorts and I took his word for it.

Just thought I would pass along his comments.
painted calipers, SP Catless DP
MagnaFlow 3" single cat-back,
Koni S/A's, Kurt hitch,
18x11 CW's, 315/30 Hoosiers for Solo
other "stuff"
snaponbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaponbob View Post

In June of 2006 there was a national Solstice convention here in Kansas City. GMPP sent a tractor trailer and so did Pontiac division. Lots on people from GM and Pontiac were there. So was a suspension engineer who was driving a pre-production prototype Redline. We had a very nice conversation. One of the topics was the side vents and the hood vents. He made it crystal clear that opening either top and/or side vents would cause some REAL problems. Apparently the air flow through the engine compartment has been pretty carefully developed. The problems he said that WOULD happen with open side vents is that too much hot air would flow out of them and would significantly elevate the temperature of the battery (on one side) and the ECU (on the other side) and would cause the "premature death" (failure) of both. I had no impression that he was blowing smoke up my shorts and I took his word for it.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH FUUUUUUDGE!!!!

"...I'm not sick, but i'm not well...."

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul" C&H

RED SOX NATION
jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

I too have the the exact same thing in regaurds to opening the engine compartment and letting any more air in. The engine heat would go where it shouldn't and cause damage.

I love the look but will not take the chance.

If I was you I would just leave them as is and seal up the back with soemthing black, they will still look functional!
xmicro_Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

If thats the case then you should take off that magnaflow and put back the stock exhaust because you're increasing horsepower and could cause "premature death" to your engine
Old 08-18-2007, 09:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (9)
Quote:

This sounds like a real issue to me, I can remember in the late eighties when they first started putting electronic ignitions in cars, heat was a very big problem causing premature failure. If I remember right there might even have been a class action law suit against ford over the failures.

Bluestone Sky
Black Leather and Roof
Serial #11805 - Traded 8-2-2007

Midnight Blue RL
Black Leather and Roof
Serial #05941 - Picked Up 8-20-2007

What is the source of your user name:
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f18/what-source-your-username-8236/
Rustyknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

I think they look great BUT, the engineer snaponbob talked to is right about the heat issues. There was a post last fall about someone doing the same thing and took temp readings...got pretty hot if I remember right at the battery. Do your temp measuremnets and let us all know
BlueSkyRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Mmmmmm?

This is good to know. I was into thinking about the Eng compartment temps that I wasn't thinking about pulling more hot air over the ECM and battery.
It is possible I guess. While I take my temps maybe you guys could take the temps by the ECM and on the battery then we could compare them. I have noticed the the Eng compartment temp has gone down a lot. Just messing around town it usually ran 145-157 and this afternoon when it was 90+ it was showing from 115-127. If it does allow that much heat to get out then I am going to leave them and just put a insulation blanket are both
Old 08-18-2007, 10:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
This is good to know. I was into thinking about the Eng compartment temps that I wasn't thinking about pulling more hot air over the ECM and battery.
It is possible I guess. While I take my temps maybe you guys could take the temps by the ECM and on the battery then we could compare them. I have noticed the the Eng compartment temp has gone down a lot. Just messing around town it usually ran 145-157 and this afternoon when it was 90+ it was showing from 115-127. If it does allow that much heat to get out then I am going to leave them and just put a insulation blanket are both
Interesting info. What are your temps around the battery/ECM?
BlueSkyRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Actual temps. I think you all will be happy

Ok Guys and Gals
I went out and drove about 40 miles, 10 each way 4 times.
first I drove it out of town 10 miles with the probe right down by the ECM monitoring then I stopped and switched it to the other side to check the temps around the battery.
I then drove back into town. and stopped at Wally World and got some duct tape and closed the vents off. and did the same thing. Then I thought ok, I'll tape the probe right to the side of the ECM to see what it is running at temp wise. Ok on the road, vents open, the temp around the ECM and the battery was only .5 off from outside air temp which was 92. In town it only ran about 11-12 degrees above 92 so about 103-104. not bad for running only 40 MPH. With the probe taped right to the ECM driving around town moving only 40MPH it never got above 127 stopped at a light, And as soon as I started moving again it would drop 10 degrees in only a few blocks. I know what the Saturn guy said and on paper they probably thought "better not open them up" but looking down into the engine compartment and seeing the ground in so many places. Trust me there is plenty of air moving around. I just gave it another place to escape You have to remember the cooler you can keep any electronics, ECM or battery the better off you are and they will last longer also. I still have the probe taped to the side of the ECM and will watch it and let you know some more temps in a few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion