GF Performance Chip - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 02:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
GF Performance Chip

Found a chip by GForce for the SKY and was wondering if anyone could tell me if its worth buying it or not? The site says MSRP is $399.99 but sale price is $69! Not sure I should trust that or not! Anyone use the GFORCE chip? Claims a HP gain of up to 60hp and 4-7mpg gain.
MattGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

I found the same one and want to know if it is a good idea.
toolmanlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was curious about the same thing. I see advertising on here by that company and really wanted to see if anyone had tried it.
eguerin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

These things get asked about all the time here and on the other Kappa fora. In summary, it's complete snake oil and will have no useful effect. Complete waste of money, stay away.

Get a proper tune, like GMPP, Westers, Trifecta, DDM etc. Will cost a minimum of a few hundred$ - but you get what you pay for.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatosoup View Post
these things get asked about all the time here and on the other kappa fora. In summary, it's complete snake oil and will have no useful effect. Complete waste of money, stay away.

Get a proper tune, like gmpp, westers, trifecta, ddm etc. Will cost a minimum of a few hundred$ - but you get what you pay for.
+1000000000

2007 Sky Red Line 5-Speed - 79k - Light mods

2006 Saturn Vue 5-Speed - 103.4k
Koobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eguerin1 View Post
I was curious about the same thing. I see advertising on here by that company and really wanted to see if anyone had tried it.
I have that plus a 5th injector and I love it
Old 06-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have that plus a 6th injector. Lol
2007 Sky Redline: DDMWorks Charge Pipes & Intercooler, Solo Performance 3" Mach Shorty, ZZP S1 cams, Supertech Valve springs, BNR 2871, SPEC Stage 3+, Android "Torque" bluetooth RPD, HPT e47 tuned by TERM2. ???whp ???wtrq Dyno coming soon.
40rty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
These things get asked about all the time here and on the other Kappa fora. In summary, it's complete snake oil and will have no useful effect. Complete waste of money, stay away.

Get a proper tune, like GMPP, Westers, Trifecta, DDM etc. Will cost a minimum of a few hundred$ - but you get what you pay for.
In the words of an unheralded Chinese philosopher - if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and walks like a duck - it probably DINNER!!!!

HFCat,TnlBrace,Front Brace,Rear Brace,Sway bars, RadHose, AirIntake, OEM Spoiler, Racing stripes, Painted Calipers, SideLights, MRZ Red Caps, RPI exhaust, Rear Valence
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have used chips in the past with good results. Now I need the wire diagram to hook up my GF chip on my 08 RedLine. just got it in the mail. I will report the results on this one.
Can anyone help with the diagram?
toolmanlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Send a message via MSN to mikecronis Send a message via Yahoo to mikecronis
As is said in the film, Brother Where Art Thou?, "Do. Not. Seek. The treasure!"

There might be a slight spark advance but I doubt these "chips" will allow the boost to increase. I would warrant sticking with a reputable company with actual dyno results, not some MS Paint doctored photo by the company itself but by an actual user (who's not fake, created by the company).

So far, the above listed companies by TomatoSoup are reputable. I went with GMPP for the boost upgrade to play it safe and have achieved good results with the no-lift-shift and am at 26PSI boost here in Colorado. Pretty noticable gain with the SOLO exhaust.

Last edited by mikecronis; 06-12-2012 at 11:48 AM.
mikecronis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecronis View Post
As is said in the film, Brother Where Art Thou?, "Do. Not. Seek. The treasure!"

There might be a slight spark advance but I doubt these "chips" will allow the boost to increase. I would warrant sticking with a reputable company with actual dyno results, not some MS Paint doctored photo by the company itself but by an actual user (who's not fake, created by the company).

So far, the above listed companies by TomatoSoup are reputable. I went with GMPP for the boost upgrade to play it safe and have achieved good results with the no-lift-shift and am at 26PSI boost here in Colorado. Pretty noticable gain with the SOLO exhaust.
If you are anywhere near Chicago you might also think of calling Dave at Performance Werks and getting it done right on the dyno. I went that route and witnessed the process (6-7 runs), got the graphs and am happy with the result. Best part, any issue drive in, drive out after talking with Dave or Ricky...Critter

HFCat,TnlBrace,Front Brace,Rear Brace,Sway bars, RadHose, AirIntake, OEM Spoiler, Racing stripes, Painted Calipers, SideLights, MRZ Red Caps, RPI exhaust, Rear Valence
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40rty View Post
I have that plus a 6th injector. Lol
OK,now even I recognize that as a joke.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

The Kappa platform is basically fly by wire. The only “operator controlled manual mechanical” controls are the clutch and the gear shift.

The steering is electronic
The switches and displays in the car are monitored and controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM)
The engine functions are monitored and controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM)
For automatic equipped cars there is also a Transmission Control Module (TCM)

There are at least two major hardware configurations for the ECM, one for the 2.4 NA cars and one for the 2.0. The engine management software is hosted (mostly) on the ECM. The engine management software receives inputs from the BCM (throttle position sensor, ignition key position etc) and from the engine sensor monitoring hardware. The ECM manages the engine’s settings, ignition timing and duration, fuel injection timing and duration, cam position etc, to produce the demanded torque while precluding damage to the engine or unsafe conditions.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how a chip maker can make a positive contribution to the current engine management scheme.

Please enlighten me so that I may learn.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Elder View Post
The Kappa platform is basically fly by wire. The only “operator controlled manual mechanical” controls are the clutch and the gear shift.

The steering is electronic
The switches and displays in the car are monitored and controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM)
The engine functions are monitored and controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM)
For automatic equipped cars there is also a Transmission Control Module (TCM)
Not to throw ice-water on your agrument (which I completely agree with), but I thought the steering was hydaulic assist (NOT electric or even electro-hydraulic). Please clarify for me if I'm wrong. I'd love to be wrong, because then we could adjust the amount of assist!
Old 06-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

OK

I will have to check. I remember reading it on the forum back in 08 so my memory may be faulty or the writer may have been just wrong. I have the documentation at home, I will pull it out.
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion