Saturn Sky Forum banner

GMPP CAI Problem?

4K views 35 replies 7 participants last post by  MARVIC 1 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey gang just got my GMPP CAI and found these small holes in the finish. Anyone elese with this intake and the same holes in the finish? Could this become a problem after some miles are put on? Thanks gang

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
I don't think that shoe on the pipe bender made those...
I have bend all kinds of sizes of IMC, EMT and Galvanize pipe in my electrical career and use to get some shoe marking on the conduit but none like that...
ALSO: looks like a different coloration band around the defective area, wonder what that is. :skep:
Also: Could be a section of a fuse pipe..... :willy:

#24 ·
Bingo!

I have seen many cases of pitting on various chrome jobs where a weld repair or splice was done, then ground flat; and then chromed over the top. One has to put some serious effort into proper metal working to avoid this issue.

Most notably on chrome bumpers. This was a common problem back in my A-Body days. You could always tell a cheap chrome job from a reputable one, the first signs are the pits.....

#25 ·
I Agree. Was up last night reachering the possible cause and came across some information which support what you both said. High Porosity Wields are a sign of poor wielding. What puzzles me now is how these parts passed some kind of quality control and made it to maket seeing as how they are GMPP.

#29 ·
Actually thats what my concern is about. I dont care so much that it looks bad my real concern is if over time this will degrade, rust or if the poor work goes beyond eye level. I cant see any holes on the inside of the pipe were the joint is but dont wont this poor workmanship to effect performance.

#30 ·
Well I can't say it will never ever, but I highly doubt it will affect performance. The chrome would have to first peel. With the amount of air that's coming through, I doubt it's buldging either. I do a lot of welding at work and this was just probably on the close of the end of the bottle of gas. So if you can't find a replacement I wouldn't sweat it too much.

#32 ·
No pitting on mine (just a mark where the previous owner of the kit managed to have it rubbing up against a stud) but don't be too picky or you'll miss out on these forever. You can always redo them in 5 years if there is a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.