LIPSTICK's 800hp first LNF compound turbo/engine build! - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
LIPSTICK's 800hp first LNF compound turbo/engine build!

COMPOUND TURBO SET-UP:
Garrett GT4294R (1.0 Tial turbine housing A/R) and Garrett Gt2871R (.63 Tial turbine housing A/R). Both turbos have v-band – and CRYO-TREATED!!!
BTF tubular manifold (321 stainless steel)
BTF 4” downpipe (321 stainless steel)
BTF recirculating dump tube (321 stainless steel)
BTF charge pipes
Turbosmart Power-Gate60 – controls GT2871R turbo
Turbosmart Comp-Gate40 – controls GT4294R turbo
Turbosmart Race Port BOV
Turbosmart Eboost2 60psi electronic boost controller

321 Stainless Steel tubular manifold, downpipe(Swaintech coated and DEI titanium wrapped)
Werks RACE Intercooler – 15” x 3” x 24”
AEM water-methanol kit
DEI Cry02 intercooler spray kit

BATES ENGINEERING RACE BLOCK:
Bates Sleeved block
Bored ,honed, Aligned hone
Decked
Bates Main Studs
Bates Balance shafts
Bates main bearings
Bates chain tensioner spring
Bates billet oil pump gear
LNF camshaft
K1 rods and Wiseco pistons installed

SMG HAND PORTED RACE HEAD:
Supertech 35.5 mm oversized valves
Supertech 78 lb springs (cryo treated)
Supertech retainers/keepers
Bates Head Studs
Bates Rocker Arms (cryo treated)
Aggressive Headwork
Ported and Polished Throttle body and Manifold

FUEL Set-Up:
WERKS custom race manifold w/ port injection
RMR secondary fuel rail
RC engineering 42lb injectors
Split Sec extra injector controller
Nitrous Express SAFE fuel System (extra fuel cell w/ fuel pump and adjustable fpr)
Deatsch Werks 300lph fuel pump
ZZP stage 1 cams w/ big fuel lobe

LIBERTY GEARS/NITROFREEZE Transmission and Drivetrain:
Spec Stage 3+ clutch w/ 11lb Flywheel (Cryo-Treated)
Polished hub and sliders, gear/synchro set (shot peened and cryo-treated)
Pinion, driveshaft, axles, and rear differential (cryo-treated)
Driveshaft Shop 600hp Axles
18"x10" Forgestar Wheels w/ Nitto NTO5 295/35/18

First, I wanted to thank Dave of WERKS for sponsoring me with the Race Intercooler

I also wanted to give thanks to the following for some feedbacks and insights about the compound turbo set-up planning:
- Dave of DDM
- Shabby
- Marc of Boost logic – you can youtube him (marc compound turbo). He has a very successful compound turbo set-up.
- Kevin Jewer – owner of 1991 Eagle Talon compound turbo set-up (T3 50 trim and T6 s475 w/ 1.06 AR) – 8.97sec @ 156mph Thank you for all the step-by-step answers that you provided me!!! You have been my on-line mentor!!!

Finally, I wanted to give thanks to my my main sponsors/tuner:
Baldturbofreak aka BTF BTF racing will sponsor me for this build. Rick helped me out choose the turbos for my compound turbo set-up, and provided me with the turbos. He will custom fabricate me a tubular manifold and the compound turbo set-up. BTF is my main tuner. He will install the compound turbo set-up, and will relocate TONS of stuff to fit this compound turbo set-up.

Ryan of Nitrofreeze for full-sponsorship of the cryogenic treatment of all my parts!!!

Vince of burnsstainless.com for sponsorship of all the stainless steel parts for this build.

Late last year, since SMG had already successfully twincharged the cobalts, by having a rear mount a turbo…………I asked myself, how about adding another turbo on my set-up and mount it at the rear?

So Fred and I started talking about mounting a k04 turbo at the rear, and do a sequential turbo set-up. The k04 turbo will spool fast, and will help have a more responsive car. But after talking to Dave of DDM, Shabby, and Marc, the plan of having a sequential set-up will not work-out as planned and will be very complicated to run smoothly. So I scratched that the plan right away.

So here’s the compound turbo set-up flow:

Exhaust manifold > small turbo (turbine) and powers the engine > excess exhaust gases goes to dp/wastegate > > big turbo (turbine) > big turbo compressor > compressed/cold air goes to small turbo (compressor inlet) > small turbo (compressor outlet) > Intercooler > engine

We are hoping to boost this set-up at around 43-45psi, since the RACE Block can handle it without even sweating. Race block can easily handle 1000 whp. If things go smoothly, the set-up will flow at least 80 lb/min …………and will produce at least 600 whp. It will be an ultimate street machine that will be competitive in auto crossing, drag racing, and road racing.

Will spool from 2800 rpm all the way to 8000 rpm 

GT2871R will be boosting 28psi and GT4094R will be boosting at around 15psi.

Total boost pressure will be 43-45psi or more

BTF will start working on the project mid of November 2011. After he finish the manifold, it wil be sent all the hot sides to SWAINTECH for ceramic coating

SMG will be working on the head, transmission, all necessary relocations, and everything will start mid mid 2011 as well.

BTF and SMG collaboration!

We are hoping to finish the whole project and tune the beast before the end of Summer 2012

There will be lots of trial and error during the build, and same goes to the tuning. But that’s normal to every build, especially on a very crazy build like this. But whatever it takes, we will complete this project!!!

LIPSTICK will strive to be the first LNF engine in the 800hp range that will be a daily driver. FIRST EVER compound turbo LNF set-up!!!!

To learn more about compound turbo, here’s my buddy Marc:

To follow this compound turbo build, you can go to this link: Antonio Sky | Facebook

Or search “Antonio Sky” on facebook

CAR:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
BTF, Nitrofreeze, Split Sec, Turbosmart, K1, Supertech, DDM, WERKS, Solo Performance, Aeroforce, Forgestar, Burns SS, TurboWerx

Last edited by SKY Spy; 07-21-2012 at 12:31 AM. Reason: OP Request - Indeed
SKY888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
HOLY CRAP!!!

This is going to be one hell of a ride. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Hahn Intercooler
Hahn Blow-Off Valve
DDMWorks Extreme Backbone Brace
DDMWorks Pro-Beam

1987 Buick Grand National - the old dog still has some bite!
IronEagle119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

wow! i cant wait to see some pics and vids of this thing going! wonder what kind of price range a compound setup is...
Self Tuned With HPTuners|Solo Street Race Exhaust Magnaflow Mufflers|Solo Catless DP|GMR 8K HIDs|Parking Light Leds|License Plate Leds|Little Chromies|3rd Brake Light Vinyl:REDLINE|GMR Pulsating and Sequential Taillights|
|V3nom| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to 08SkyLdr
That is going to be one sick setup. I would love to see this animal up close and personal some day. I look forward to following the build. Good luck and have fun.

BTW - you getting a roll bar or something in there to help protect you with all that power?

08 RL Midnight Blue, Blk/Tan Leather, 18 Polished Alloy Wheels
DDM Backbone, Eibach Springs, GMPP CAT Back, HP Tuners, IC Pipes, K&N Filter, Solo Catless Downpipe
Ordered 6/20/07 Delivered 9/5/07

Last edited by 08SkyLdr; 08-04-2010 at 02:24 AM.
08SkyLdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

thanks guys.

roll cage/bar....might be in the plan for next year....but we'll see.

CAR:

SPONSORS:
BTF, Nitrofreeze, Split Sec, Turbosmart, K1, Supertech, DDM, WERKS, Solo Performance, Aeroforce, Forgestar, Burns SS, TurboWerx
Old 08-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
How are you pulling this off with your other half? Telling her it's in for an oil change? Won't she notice the contrails when you hit mach 1?

You da man!
27rings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Very impressive.

I wish I had the time and patience to go about a build like that.

Does BTF want another sponsor car? haha
miller11386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27rings View Post
How are you pulling this off with your other half? Telling her it's in for an oil change? Won't she notice the contrails when you hit mach 1?

You da man!
she knows about my transmission problems.....and she has no problem having it fixed

so being at the shop for two months......I have a good excuse! lol

CAR:

SPONSORS:
Old 08-04-2010, 09:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

LIPSTICK gonna be a BAD GIRL !

Am probably missing something... but how are you going to keep the rear end on the ground? Sand bags in the trunk?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyVue2 View Post
Am probably missing something... but how are you going to keep the rear end on the ground? Sand bags in the trunk?

currently, with my 400 whp set-up.....I have no issues controlling the rear end......using my staggered OZ racing wheels (8" front, 9" rear) with nitto NTO5 tires.

the good thing about a compound turbo set-up.....is the power doesn't come BIG, unlike a GT35. After the lag....the big surge of power comes in.

The power of a compound turbo is very linear......

if I need more traction, I'll change the rear wheels to a 10 or 11"

CAR:

SPONSORS:

Last edited by SKY888; 08-04-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

a 10 inch tire will fit?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

might have to roll-out the fender....

CAR:

SPONSORS:
Old 08-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Send a message via AIM to compdoc777 Send a message via Yahoo to compdoc777
I was thinking the turbo setup like they have in the 93-96 Mazda RX7 TT. to setup in my ride.

That car has two identical turbos smaller than ours, but together they flow like a large unit. One spools then the other like this guys setup. I think about 4K rpms my first turbo then spools the second and with both running you could feel this huge pull all the way to 9K. Don't know how it would work with our motors because we have such a short rpm band.

It was great because the first turbo being so small would spool insanley fast giving one enough torque to launch without giving too much and would rip you from 0-30 like a gocart then you would feel the deep growl of both turbos open for business at 4-5K and it would grap that RPM needle and yank it over to redline.

I think the Supra used the turbo setup like this guy is setting them up. With the small turbo to get going and the bigger turbo to carry the car on up the RPM band.
  • Dejon IC pipes
  • Hahn IC
  • 3" Magnaflow Quad Exhaust
  • DDM BBK (RED)
compdoc777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monadzback View Post
a 10 inch tire will fit?
It will fit, you just may need a custom wide body kit, with custom wheels!
miller11386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdoc777 View Post
I was thinking the turbo setup like they have in the 93-96 Mazda RX7 TT. to setup in my ride.

That car has two identical turbos smaller than ours, but together they flow like a large unit. One spools then the other like this guys setup. I think about 4K rpms my first turbo then spools the second and with both running you could feel this huge pull all the way to 9K. Don't know how it would work with our motors because we have such a short rpm band.

It was great because the first turbo being so small would spool insanley fast giving one enough torque to launch without giving too much and would rip you from 0-30 like a gocart then you would feel the deep growl of both turbos open for business at 4-5K and it would grap that RPM needle and yank it over to redline.

I think the Supra used the turbo setup like this guy is setting them up. With the small turbo to get going and the bigger turbo to carry the car on up the RPM band.
I think you're talking about Sequential Turbos, but they have two different sized turbos.....not similar sized. The small one for spool and the big one for higher rpms. They have these electronic valves that stop the other turbo once the big turbo is active....and vice versa.

with two identical turbos.....they are usually the twin turbo set up/parallel set-up.......were both turbos are "ON" the whole time.

CAR:

SPONSORS:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion