New sky owner and questions about swap - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
New sky owner and questions about swap

i am new to owning a sky. its yellow and absolutely gorgeous. i have been researching on ls swaps vs built motor + work. seems to be about even and all comes down to preference. Considering the automatic tranny can supposedly hold some tq. since it is a "weekend" car, id hope to hold it 10+ years and would really get to appreciate the big v8 in it. I live in new jersey and have little to no mechanical experience. Was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Garage
Anthony, there are some places that still do V8 swaps (Performance Auto Werks is one I believe. Dave at DDM has stopped doing them if memory serves) and there are a couple sites out that will give you insight into doing 2JZ swaps (drops right in with a different clutch bell on the stock trans from what I've heard...just have to figure out wiring for the engine harness).

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

the thing is i am actually in NJ, wonder if anyone is local to me. Seems Performance auto werks is in illinois . the other problem i thought id run into was the transmission. thought it would needed to be upgraded.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Often times it is but depends on which swap you're doing. The V8 swaps usually use a different trans. The 2JZ swap can use the stock trans with a 1JZ bell housing since it was the same transmission Toyota used for the 1JZ Supras...if I remember the article about the swap correctly. I do remember reading the 2JZ drops into the stock Sky engine mounts when you go that route.

As for finding someone in Jersey, understand that there are not a lot of people who do these Swaps. You have Mallett if you can find the current incarnation of it and if they're still doing them, DDM but last I heard Dave is out of it. Performance autowerks still will do it. That's about it. All other swaps are usually guys doing it at home themselves.

Actually, you may be better off finding a Kappa for sale that already has had the swap done. Would be cheaper and probably easier.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Last edited by Robotech; 02-07-2017 at 11:14 PM.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Garage
If you don't have mechanical abilities, the last thing I would do it swap the engine. These things have enough little bugs to deal with, let alone putting something that will require nearly constant attention, get you more tickets than you can imagine, and make every single Honda Civic think they want to race you.

I guess mine is okay, but I never drive it. It would be fun for the drag strip, or autocross, but not a daily driver, that you have to depend on. Hell neither is the Sky for that matter with the winters you guys have.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Having a V8 engine swap will run about $20K-$25K won't it?
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshines View Post
Having a V8 engine swap will run about $20K-$25K won't it?
I've never done a swap and do not plan to do one. However, from those who have that experience, I've heard numbers in the range of $65K to $70K total investment when all said and done. The LS is only a portion of the expense of a working, safe upgrade to the V8 world. If you consider the initial value of the Solstice or SKY being upgraded, it appears to me the end result will be somewhat larger to do a successful swap. You might well get a quote like you suggest, but it seems to me that there will be cost over-runs (aka, "wouldn't you rather we do this versus that?").

Skersfan was able to purchase an existing upgrade that had been dismantled and then he put it all back together. He did luck out to a great extent, but that is an exception. In addition it probably means you won't have your car for at least 6 months and most probably more like a year. And then, the fun begins with all the little issues that crop up that require very knowledgeable attention with more costs.

My age is against me, and probably the reason I like my NA. LOL
Rusty Boltz likes this.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Camuso View Post
i am new to owning a sky. its yellow and absolutely gorgeous. i have been researching on ls swaps vs built motor + work. seems to be about even
Well yes and no.

If your targets are anywhere around 400 bhp or less, the modding route is cheaper by a factor of maybe 10! All you need is a turbo change and a tune.

1957 Jamaican - MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
wspohn is right, where do you want to be power wise? From my experience, I think 400 whp in a daily driven Kappa is more than adequate (that's a very low 12 second car right there). There are those who have done more. Talk to 40rty (he doesn't come around much anymore but if you PM him he may answer) and the gentleman who did the LS7 twin turbo swap. They are both on the Facebook Sky/Solstice/GT/Daewoo group a lot. Talk to them about their builds.

I know 40rty did his through DDM and it took about a year. The other gentleman did the work himself but has been on the project for a while. skersfan's car is a monster pumping out, we guess, somewhere north of 600 hp to the rear wheels...we don't know for sure because they never took it to redline on the dyno and it was over 550!!! These guys are making BIG power for specific reasons. The LS7 TT car is being built to be a straight line sleeper (and it is...dear lord). I've been in skerfan's Mallett and that thing is a wild ride. I wouldn't be pushing it anywhere other than a racetrack with that kind of power. You'll get in trouble REAL quick with over 600 whp and no traction control.

You have to start by asking yourself, what's your goal? What do you want to do power wise? I've heard quotes of around $30k for most V8 swaps done by a shop...and that's just for the swap. Looks like Werks swaps start around 16K but you can get to the power level of that swap without opening up your stock LNF. To get to 480, you're looking at $22K. Their price list goes to a 1,000 hp LS7 but you're looking at over $50K for that swap.

How fast do you want to go? How much do you want to spend? It's an adage with cars that holds true even on our platform.

I know you want to find something closer to where you live, but Werks knows our platform. They've done these swaps, they have experience, and to my knowledge there is no shop in your area that does it. Right now, Werks may be the only place in the NATION I know who does them and has experience doing them.

Yes, you could go to a local shop and have it done. The issue is, you may wind up paying more as they "learn" the little tricks to do it right that Werks has already hashed out. Werks sells a DIY kit for the swap for about $3k if you want to have a local shop attempt it. I would talk to them about what else you may need and what that DIY kit will work with engine and transmission wise.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Last edited by Robotech; 02-08-2017 at 12:11 PM.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

To be 100% honest. It was my father's car who passed recently and I always wanted a corvette engine in an older 92 camaro or a c3/c5 vette. But since my father passed I thought putting in the ls2 would keep me from getting rid of the car. It'd be like my life long toy I drive on weekends if that. I mean I think it's a 2008 with about 15k miles.

All in all I figure I could enjoy the car this dinner and send it somewhere the upcoming winter to get swapped. How much hp can our engine handle if it's built with forged internals and all that good stuff

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Oh forgot to mention that I have A 2016 ford focus st that I use for daily...and being the sky is auto...think it'd be a fun weekend car with a 400hp v8 to modify a little

post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
I seriously wonder if you know what your getting into. When people say you can drop it in. Its not like pulling out a seat and dropping in a new one. Even after they remove all the electronics the cooling system, pull the engine, put in the new engine, cobble something up to get the engine mounted, make new cooling ducts as the routing will be different, then rewire and replace the brains. There are bound to be issues. if you shipped it out of state, how do you get the bugs worked out?

I think you need to do some more research. But hey if you got $30k to drop on it to get a car that might not run right all the time, go for it. But I think I most of these drop ins are by folks who like to tinker with their cars.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
400 whp is doable on the stock block. Only the crank is forged in the LNF (early LE5s have forged rods but not cranks. Neither engine has forged pistons stock) but the short block on the LNF is pretty durable.

If you really want a V8, I'd send it off to Performance Auto Werks and not consider anyone else. Like was mentioned, DDM is out of the V8 conversion market. If about 400 whp is what you want, you can either do a few things to the LNF or go with a V8. Just the building up the LNF route will be considerably cheaper and less of a headache.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

What I want is a extremely unique car that I won't get bored of for 10+ years as tribute to my dad. Figured even if I built the engine fully and did the basics, (exhaust, tune, hi flow cat) wouldnt be all the unique. Always loved the rumble of the 8. Is the 2jz a lot easier to drop in or is still a headache either way?

Guesstimate, how much power can a built lnf engine take. Would 500-550 be possible?

post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
That V8 would make the Sky nose heavy and not handle as well, correct?

Also drain the tine fuel tank pretty quickly...

But sounds like a cool mod...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.