Nitrous VS. Bigger Turbo - Page 4 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #46 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Havent a lot of people with the LNF motor blown a few engines using nitrous? I would be too scarred going with nitrous. Id spend the money on a good HP tune and maybe that'll get you the power you'd want. But thats just me.
Hahn Stage III Turbo kit
Tuned with EFIlive
Neo-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller11386 View Post
"But i dont want to waste it!!!!"

its a ****ty tune. Sorry but GMPP is the LAST one I would recommend to anyone.
The only virtue of the GMPP tune is that it is OK with the warranty. As the OP wants to go way beyond warranty territory anyway, I agree - toss the tune and customise.

I've seen so many people in the engine swap world use a totally unsuitable engine just because they own it already and want to 'save' money. Then they end up spending more than it would have cost to accommodate the bad engine choice and end up with an unsatisfactory end product.

If you made a mistake getting something or have something that served your purpose before but doesn't now, drop it and get on with doing what really needs to be done. And I second the sentiment - if you are going into a modification plan with the thought that $500 is enough to get fussed about, don't even bother starting down that path.
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1965 Jensen CV8,
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT (sold)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2013 Mazda 3 Sport
Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #48 (permalink)

What? I'm confused.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #49 (permalink)

people dont read. The OP was saying he didnt want to "waste" the GMPP tune he already has. I am saying its garbage anyway. Chuck it because you are going past warranty and the GMPP is only good to save the warranty.

hence why my comment was stated, and his statement was in quotes
miller11386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #50 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Yup
Glad included 2 quotes in his quote and made it seem like Miller made the original statement

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
Elff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #51 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor
Lifetime Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave@ddmworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Sky View Post
Havent a lot of people with the LNF motor blown a few engines using nitrous? I would be too scarred going with nitrous. Id spend the money on a good HP tune and maybe that'll get you the power you'd want. But thats just me.
I would be interested in how many have actually run nitrous on the Kappa. I remember there was a guy that blew up his LNF running nitrous, but he was purposely trying to blow up the engine as he wanted to see what it would take. If I remember correctly, he started with a 50 shop, then a 100 shot, then a 200 shot and finally the engine blew with a 250 non progressive shot. That is a heck of a shot to throw at a stock engine, figure with a tune he would have been well over 500hp wheel, probably close to 550hp wheel, and a lot of shock loading to the engine with a non-progressive shot.

That is the only person I can think of right off that has done nitrous and blew their engine, anyone know of anyone else?
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com
Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 340whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane
Dave@ddmworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #52 (permalink)

i used meth...
Old 01-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave@ddmworks View Post
I would be interested in how many have actually run nitrous on the Kappa. I remember there was a guy that blew up his LNF running nitrous, but he was purposely trying to blow up the engine as he wanted to see what it would take. If I remember correctly, he started with a 50 shop, then a 100 shot, then a 200 shot and finally the engine blew with a 250 non progressive shot. That is a heck of a shot to throw at a stock engine, figure with a tune he would have been well over 500hp wheel, probably close to 550hp wheel, and a lot of shock loading to the engine with a non-progressive shot.

That is the only person I can think of right off that has done nitrous and blew their engine, anyone know of anyone else?
Well i don't know much kappas that have but from what I've read on css.net a few cobalts have I believe.
Hahn Stage III Turbo kit
Tuned with EFIlive
Neo-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #54 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)
Quote:

Reading your sig.......
Know you have had to play with a turbo on a 2.4. What is the most whp you got out of that set up? Just wondering what the difference was between the 2.0 and the 2.4 if you have.

Last edited by liveaboard74; 01-07-2013 at 11:40 PM.
liveaboard74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller11386 View Post
if you think a re-tune is expensive, you need to just back away slowly and not mod your sky

first you have to know that nitrous is not cheap. it can be anywhere from $2-$5 a pound... so if you have a 10lb cylinder, you are talking $20-$50 a fill. And if you use it a lot, you will make that 2871 upgrade look cheap. Also a bottle can be used up in a day easily.
This car is cheap as hell to mod for a sports car. Look at the $/HP ratio of other rides (S2K, Z4, etc.) and you will see our car is quite a go fast bargain.

2007 Sky Red Line 5-Speed - 78k - Light mods

2006 Saturn Vue 5-Speed - 99.6k
Koobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koobie View Post
This car is cheap as hell to mod for a sports car. Look at the $/HP ratio of other rides (S2K, Z4, etc.) and you will see our car is quite a go fast bargain.
Apples and oranges - unfair comparison to compare being able to retune a turbo engine map to what has to be done to a non-turbo engine. The S2000, Z4, and for that matter a Kappa NA are all expensive to get much additional power out of.

Being able to retune a turbo engine with a laptop is cheap, sure, but once you approach the ceiling that this safely allows, the continuing mods are just as expensive - maybe more, considering that they involve new rods, pistons, etc.

You do get a cheap ticket to what - maybe close on 400 BHP? And then you are in the same boat as all the others.

Toss an HPF turbo at a Z4 and get up to 600 BHP (some a lot more) similar for turboing a Toyota 6 and 400 is not too hard from the S2000.
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1965 Jensen CV8,
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT (sold)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2013 Mazda 3 Sport
Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koobie View Post
I know what you mean. You should see some of the prices I have paid for supra junk. stuff is obscene! take kappa price and multiply by double or triple.
miller11386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #58 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard74 View Post
Reading your sig.......
Know you have had to play with a turbo on a 2.4. What is the most whp you got out of that set up? Just wondering what the difference was between the 2.0 and the 2.4 if you have.
On a stock 2.4L, we tend to want to stop at 350whp and on a stock 2.0L LNF we tend to stop at 400whp. The 2.4L built can take quite a bit, we have 2 blocks on the way to us that will be built for a little over 700hp.

Hope that helps,
Dave

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com
Old 01-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
On a stock 2.4L, we tend to want to stop at 350whp and on a stock 2.0L LNF we tend to stop at 400whp. The 2.4L built can take quite a bit, we have 2 blocks on the way to us that will be built for a little over 700hp.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Not wanting to assume...

Are you saying that the 2.4L can be built to take more than the 2.0L?

I remember reading the long write up about the GMPP team that took the 2.0L up to 1000HP to prove that they could...
Old 01-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #60 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova-Exarch View Post
Not wanting to assume...

Are you saying that the 2.4L can be built to take more than the 2.0L?

I remember reading the long write up about the GMPP team that took the 2.0L up to 1000HP to prove that they could...
Sorry, should have been more clear.

They both can be built to take a lot of power, but with the 2.4L we stop at 350whp on a stock engine and on the 2.0L we stop at 400whp. They both can be built to take a lot of power, but we like to start with the 2.0L and bore it out if we are going for high power, since it has the forged crank and 8 bolts on the flywheel.

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion