Nitrous VS. Bigger Turbo - Page 5 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #61 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Well, I'm considering all options... kinda getting over the whole retune thing... but I'm wanting to run the numbers. As far as why my car seems to be running slow, the track I run at has an elevation of around 1700ft, and I've been making passes in high [95-98] degree weather. I remember without the GMPP tune, I was running 14.6's, and I met another guy who had a Solstice with a Trifecta tune who was running 13.9's, manual trans. My scanner isn't working right... but I do still have my tickets. What all information do you need?
This is what I need to know now, and Dave I think you can help with this one: given my previous times, 14.6 stock, 14.2 GMPP, what sort of times [ballpark, I know] could I expect from 1] switching to a Trifecta tune 2] running a 75 shot of Nitrous with my existing GMPP tune 3] upgrading the turbo and using DDM retune. Again, ballpark, I know. I just want to see what kind of price to gain coralation there is.
Black and Red leather interior
GMPP Tune
K&N Filter
Nitto NT05
Automatic
70K miles
Owner since July 2011

'86 Trans Am
Red/Black

'03 Yamaha R6
Black/Silver
Richard_Strahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #62 (permalink)

First you need the driver mod. I have seen guys with OK tires and GMPP run 13.5 at the track fairly consistently with supporting bolt ons (intercooler, high flow cat, exh)

1) 13.5 quarter with good driving a good set of tires (wont be much different from your GMPP) Need the bolt ons though.
2) probably destroying something, but if it held together 13.0 sec with a good driver, good tires and you will need a good clutch as well plus the bolt ons.
3) a reliable 350-380whp car that is safe. Good clutch and tires could get you in the high 12's with supporting bolt ons.

If you throw corn at (e47) it and get a custom tune, guys have been in the 12's on a stock turbo and bolt ons.
miller11386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #63 (permalink)

Thanks, Miller, I didn't think a Trifecta alone would do much of an improvement... but with the Turbo, it'd be a different story. I'd probably just drive down and see Dave if I ended up going that route, rather a professional do it... and he's not that far away. Just depends oh how hight labor puts the price. And a 75 shot will be fine, Dave said so himself. No worries there, but would rather have the turbo if I can manage some funds.
GMPP Tune
K&N Filter
Nitto NT05
Automatic
70K miles
Owner since July 2011

'86 Trans Am
Red/Black

'03 Yamaha R6
Black/Silver
Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #64 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to RedSkyWV
As far as elevation and temps, I run at 1200'. I ran 12.9s at 52-55 degrees, 13.05-13.15 when it was 85 degrees. So you're probably losing 1/10th or so due to temps and maybe even another 1/10th due to elevation. Additionally a manual is always going to be slower than an auto in the straight line. You should expect 13.5s with the GMPP and just "decent" shifting though I'd think.
RedSkyWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #65 (permalink)

Shifts on it's own, though ;P Lol.
I mean, I know I'm not used to dragging a street car, it's not the same as a dragster... but still, what the hell? :/ I only weigh 160ish... so I don't think it's my weight... perhaps the track is a bit longer? There are 2 tracks in my area [Bristol and Cherokee in Rogersville, TN], Cherokee being... we'll say "not as fancy...", and it's a bit shorter. Usually my passes in a drag car were a few tenths faster there... but I like Bristol better, so I run there. Eh, who knows... -_-

EDIT:
If it helps any, I made a few passes one day with a 100lb passenger and ET went up to 14.6.
GMPP Tune
K&N Filter
Nitto NT05
Automatic
70K miles
Owner since July 2011

'86 Trans Am
Red/Black

'03 Yamaha R6
Black/Silver
Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #66 (permalink)

I'm down around 195 now, but all those passes were made when I weighed between 215 and 225.

But yeah, shifts on its own
Old 01-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #67 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Are you leaving your traction control on for these passes? That is the only reason I can think of that an automatic would have such a time discrepancy.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #68 (permalink)

The Autos were rated as faster from the factory.

A manual with NLS (GMPP tune or other similar system) is supposed to about equal out with the auto.
(Assuming you can catch 3 perfect NLS in a row )
Old 01-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaxenfilly23 View Post
Are you leaving your traction control on for these passes? That is the only reason I can think of that an automatic would have such a time discrepancy.
No.. I've made serveral passes with both Traction off, in CM, and everything shut down... they're all about the same for the most part, as far as ET does, anyway. AC off, music off... I dunno. I may have to have a friend take a video when the track opens back up in April :/
GMPP Tune
K&N Filter
Nitto NT05
Automatic
70K miles
Owner since July 2011

'86 Trans Am
Red/Black

'03 Yamaha R6
Black/Silver
Old 01-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #70 (permalink)

I wonder if your losing a tiny bit of power to something?

Have you checked all your pipes/clamps?

I've felt a tiny bit sluggish lately and I swear I can hear a slight whistling (air leaking)... so T-bolt clamps here I come (maybe once I catch up the umpty billion household projects, lol).

Maybe I missed it...

Did anyone break down the numbers from your runs? Where are your times lagging?

edit: I don't drag, but I've read a lot of the threads here and I just want you having fun in yer car
Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #71 (permalink)

Maybe... it is pushing past 70K miles now, may need to have the tranny serviced... if this weather dries up, I may give everything a bit of inspection. Hopefully I'll be putting on a Magnaflow before the season starts back, may find something then.
I'm at work atm, my tickets are at home. I can post all the info, 60', 1/8, 1/4 @mph, temp, trac off/comp mode/all off, ect.
Thanks for the help, guys ^^ Just don't like that it doesn't seem to be performing as well as it should...
GMPP Tune
K&N Filter
Nitto NT05
Automatic
70K miles
Owner since July 2011

'86 Trans Am
Red/Black

'03 Yamaha R6
Black/Silver
Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #72 (permalink)

I have found that you can have a fairly significant leak in the charge system (loose clamp, small hole in IC, etc.) before the car will throw a code. So it is possible you are losing a little boost. Just 1 lb of boost lost is something like 10 HP.

And 70K on the stock CAT could be the issue as well (assuming you are still running the stock CAT). The OEM CAT is not the most robust. Mine went at about 45,000 miles. In my case it threw a code. When they installed the new CAT, I had a noticeable improvement in performance.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #73 (permalink)

Hmm... I'll give it a good look over when the weather improves... have had a couple weeks a rain and 3 or 4 inches of snow last night... -_- first actual snow in years... murr...
I am still running the stock CAT... but I'm wanting to upgrade to a Magnaflow exhaust. Does it come with a CAT as well? Can't remember myself... :/
GMPP Tune
K&N Filter
Nitto NT05
Automatic
70K miles
Owner since July 2011

'86 Trans Am
Red/Black

'03 Yamaha R6
Black/Silver
Old 01-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #74 (permalink)

The exhaust doesn't come with a cat, but you can buy a downpipe from several different vendors to replace that section as well.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #75 (permalink)

Bust the cat material out. Save some money.
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion