No Lift Shift-Tell me about it! - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baby View Post

I wounds up giving my wife the Red Cable for a Christmas gift. She was so excited and told everyone I gave her Torque for Christmas!!!
Lucky guy - with my wife there's no torquing to her about cars!

Early versions of the Trifecta tune didn't have NLS in it, Vince never saw the point but I guess he changed his mind later if there was demand for it. It is usually used once by the curious and then never again.

1957 Jamaican - MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I would definitely use it during autocross if it saves me a second going from first to second (rarely get to third). Just so hard to unlearn the lift action when shifting. did a couple of shift from second to third like this and can managed to do it quickly enough as so not to red line. My assumption is that red line will not be allowed when shifting in this fashion. Its kinda scary but also exhilarating!

Jim
Techo Gray 2008 Sky RL with Trifecta and DDM bracing
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Garage
You just need to be quick about it. I can almost do it now...but my clutch doesn't like it. Ran across my painter friend in his tricked out Datsun and once I hit third engine reved much faster than the car was accelerating. So I'm trying to take it easy until the new clutch is in but I have played around with it some...almost can do it without the ECM programming (since the LE5 ECM doesn't have a no lift shift option). I just have to lift 20% or so as I shift and make the shift quick. I bet with the short shifter I could do it without lifting or, at least, lifting less.

I think I tried it in your car Jim and you can do it right up to redline but doing that requires you to time it really well. If done correctly, the shift should take tenths of a second.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do it with the N2MB WOT Box. It has NLS that is not RPM dependant. You can record how long your shifts are between gears and set up a custom time for how long spark is cut out, or can have it automatic. It also has a launch control feature you can program what RPM you want it set at. It just needs to be wired into the car.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post

Early versions of the Trifecta tune didn't have NLS in it, Vince never saw the point but I guess he changed his mind later if there was demand for it. It is usually used once by the curious and then never again.
I'm with Vince on this one. I'm not even curious enough to use it once.

Joe

FLASHED

2008 Red Line Carbon Flash SE Naked!
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have a question for everyone regarding the Trifecta tune.

I only want to pay for one tune, but from what I hear if you do the downpipe upgrade you have to get it retuned. Well they charge the same amount for just an update.

My question is since I'm getting the tune first and will wait a bit for the downpipe. If I tell trifecta that I already have the downpipe when I get the tune, and they give me a tune as if I have the downpipe on it, but I don't...will that create a crappy tune for my car without the downpipe?
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Garage
The difference between the tunes is pretty minor, but I would call them and ask them how critical it is to have the tune for a car with a high flow or catless downpipe on a car with a factory cat. I'm trying to think what may go wrong in that scenario and am drawing a blank at the moment. Not a lot of sleep for Robo last night...

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post

I only want to pay for one tune, but from what I hear if you do the downpipe upgrade you have to get it retuned. Well they charge the same amount for just an update.

My question is since I'm getting the tune first and will wait a bit for the downpipe. If I tell trifecta that I already have the downpipe when I get the tune, and they give me a tune as if I have the downpipe on it, but I don't...will that create a crappy tune for my car without the downpipe?
I have the canned trifecta tune ($200) and in previous threads it was stated that anything after the turbo was OK to change. So I now have a SOLO hi-flow cat and Magnaflow exhaust (I really like the sound).

Now in those previous threads I have heard two opposing views on the intake side of things. Some say it's OK to to do a CAI, change the IC and charge pipes some say it's not. So I have a K&N Typhoon and a DDM street IC sitting in my storage (waiting for me to get off my a$$ and install them). My theory is since it's been established that the intake side changes are more acoustical rather than performance I'm not sure it would be of any detriment to the tune to add those things as well.

However I'm pretty certain that I'm not getting the full potential of my add-ons with the canned tune. It's my understanding that for Trifecta, at least(you will want to verify with Trifecta), you can get the custom tune ($400) by simply paying the difference ($200) from your original purchase of the canned tune and start data logging and sending that data to Trifecta for tweeking.

Joe

FLASHED

2008 Red Line Carbon Flash SE Naked!
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post

To answer your question, takes a small description of AFR. AFR is the Air Fuel Ratio. Without going into great detail, you will want to make sure you car is not running lean [too much air] or running too rich[too much fuel]

The downpipe is the biggest factor and performance restriction in tuning our cars with the stock turbo. If properly tuned, a car with a high flow catalytic converter or no cat in the downpipe, can get 20-30 more wheel HP. On 93 Octane, on a stock Kappa, the car will be able to be tuned to roughly 280-290 rear wheel hp. Add the high flow cat or no cat downpipe and most tuners can get you to 300+ wheel hp

So the problem you might run into, until you get the new downpipe, is that the car will run Rich as it is expecting more air, compensating with more fuel, but does not have the extra air.

So you might have bad starts, which will require you to wait for the car to warm up more before driving, and you will see black unburnt fuel [which will be powder like] around your tail pipe ends.
Personally, I would just wait.

LUSIFER

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.