Saturn Sky Forum banner

RPM and Trifecta tune on NA 2.4L

8K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  davhamm 
#1 ·
Would either an RPM or Trifecta Tune add any horsepower to an NA 2.4L engine? I know it won't be as effective as a tune done on a Redline, but even an extra 30 or 40 ponies would be nice on the 2.4.

#3 ·
The 2.4 tunes don't add much on the top end HP wise mainly because the injectors in the 2.4 are pretty tapped out to begin with. RPM sells a "stage" kit for the 2.4 that includes bigger injectors but even with this you're not going to see a 30 hp increase.

What you DO get is a lot better throttle response and a quicker, flatter torque curve so the low to mid RPM range improves dramatically.

NA just doesn't have a lot of room for improvement without spending some serious money or go forced induction/NOS.

#4 ·
There is a noticeable torque and horsepower increase in the mid-range, not a big increase, but it is noticeable.

Is it worth the price of admission? (I haven't done it to mine, but it's a matter of opinion.)

:dunno:

#6 ·
I'd probably be happy for now with an improved torque curve. I hate having to bring it up into the 4000 range to see any real power. By the time the fun starts, I'm ready to shift again. I would think having some good torque in the 3000 range on up would be a good and fun thing.

Any opinion on which is best? RPM or Trifecta?

#7 ·
mmartin, I've been working with RPM on my current build and tune. I was happy with the first go around with them and will be doing a dyno tune with their tuner sometime in April...was going to be out there this weekend until my trans took a shat.

I don't know anyone personally running the RPM tune and Trifecta has been a bit sketchy lately but the tune they provide has been satisfactory for those who have installed it on their 2.4s. Really is your choice. Price wise the three tunes (Trifecta and RPM's Stage 1 and Stage 2) are within $125 of one another. Looks like the RPM stage 1 is pretty comparable to the Trifecta. About 8-12 hp gain but with bigger improvements to mid range power and response.

#8 ·
#19 ·
So you're happy with the Trifecta tune? Is it a "one size fits all" tune? Or do they read your car first then customize the tune to it?

#11 ·
This is certainly an amateur question but here it goes- I have the trifecta tune and I haven't installed it yet (been waiting for this New England weather to warm up). I have the files/cord/everything required. My question is, in the event something goes wrong/I change my opinion on the tune, can I easily revert back to the stock settings? I heard something about pressing the cruise control? Any insight would be appreciated!

#16 ·
Thank you so much for the help! Last question for now; I watched a YouTube video for installation on a camaro and they mentioned something about "Ghost mode". Is that something I'll see when I tune the sky? And if so, what do y'all recommend for it?

Thanks again for all the help guys!

#17 ·
Heard the term but as I recall was not any application that I used or saw when I did the tune. Very straight forward. Download the file and open application. Chose the file to install and hit enter. Some recommend having a battery charger on car when doing the transfer. If battery is strong, not really necessary.

#18 ·
Awesome to hear, definitely excited for it! I've never invested too much time in cars but after getting the sky I feel like I want to know every little thing. Perhaps I can take some sort of course to become more competent automechanically. Regardless, thanks for the help y'all!

#20 ·
I told them that I had CAI and they sent me a tune at base price that does not provide for updates. After I added high flow cat, I downloaded performance parameters from my ecu to my computer and sent file back to them. A few weeks later they sent me an updated tune at cost of $75. Installed that file same way as first file but kept both files,

#21 ·
Ok. Great. I didn't know you could get updated tunes at a lower price.

So are you happy with the performance now compared to original stock?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.