Saturn Sky 5.3l V8 swap - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Saturn Sky 5.3l V8 swap

Hows it going guys just recently purchased a 2.4l saturn sky which is extremly slow but so beautiful coming from a srt6 crossfire that ran consistent 11.7s with a few boltons. So ive made the decision to go with a DIY v8 swap and i figured goin 5.3l would be the cheepest way and still have great power.
darksky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

has anyone here done a v8 swap please chime in
Old 10-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

The 5.3 is a great choice, plentiful and very inexpensive, plus most all of the 5.7/6.0/7.0 goodies will bolt right onto it. If you have acess to a welder and some fab skills it shouldn't be all that tough (it's not like enough people haven't already done it).

I just turbocharged my 2.4 a couple months back but down the road the plan is to do the LSX swap.

I went the turbo route thinking it'd be much faster and cheaper, but looking back it really wouldn't have been a whole lot more time or money to just swap the 5.3 in.

Even if you leave it stock the first year, 300bhp will be plenty of fun and with some bolt ons you can easily have 400whp and DD reliablity, plus it'll sound awesome.
NGKTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Bolt on supercharger kit will take you to 300 HP with a proven, fun package.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksky1 View Post
Hows it going guys just recently purchased a 2.4l saturn sky which is extremly slow but so beautiful coming from a srt6 crossfire that ran consistent 11.7s with a few boltons. So ive made the decision to go with a DIY v8 swap and i figured goin 5.3l would be the cheepest way and still have great power.
what "bolt ons" can make a srt6 crossfire run 11s? i just cant see that happening.
Self Tuned With HPTuners|Solo Street Race Exhaust Magnaflow Mufflers|Solo Catless DP|GMR 8K HIDs|Parking Light Leds|License Plate Leds|Little Chromies|3rd Brake Light Vinyl:REDLINE|GMR Pulsating and Sequential Taillights|
|V3nom| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by |V3nom| View Post
what "bolt ons" can make a srt6 crossfire run 11s? i just cant see that happening.
I know bone stock they'll run 8.40's in the 1/8th, so low 13's. Being supercharged, A tune and a pulley will net huge gains. Add in intake, exhaust, etc...it's doable.
rghoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

^^^ Smaller pulley, Exhaust, good tires, light weight and driver. Those are just some of the things you can do to make a Crossfire quick. Now is it easy, hell no. Worth it? Depends
2007 Sky Redline: DDMWorks Charge Pipes & Intercooler, Solo Performance 3" Mach Shorty, ZZP S1 cams, Supertech Valve springs, BNR 2871, SPEC Stage 3+, Android "Torque" bluetooth RPD, HPT e47 tuned by TERM2. ???whp ???wtrq Dyno coming soon.
40rty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

dang i didnt realize they came supercharged and run mid 13s. still, id like to know what "few bolt ons" got it 2 seconds quicker.
Self Tuned With HPTuners|Solo Street Race Exhaust Magnaflow Mufflers|Solo Catless DP|GMR 8K HIDs|Parking Light Leds|License Plate Leds|Little Chromies|3rd Brake Light Vinyl:REDLINE|GMR Pulsating and Sequential Taillights|
Old 10-27-2012, 02:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

my srt6 was a convertible came from the factory supercharged. stock dynoed at 260hp to the wheels ran 13.1 stock form then i did cai, smaller supercharger pulley dynoed at 360 370 ish ran 12.1 12.0 on street tires spent a little under 2k 17 psi. have a vid up on you tube johnnygtstang (one word) and under the vids u should see it. But someone ended up hitting me in it a totaled it. So i purchased a sky but i was trying to determine if it would be cheeper to do the 5.3l diy swap mechanic who is a budy of mine said with motor and swap kit would be around 5-6 or just putting a turbo on my 2.4l. he said sky+5.3l cam intake =11s+ 100 shot 10s

Last edited by darksky1; 10-27-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

you probably wont be able to run those times with the 2.4 unless you build the motor and put a big turbo on it. then you still gotta tune it which im not sure if the tuning is avaliable for that kind of power.

might be easier to run those times with the 5.3 since the aftermarket is so much more abundant.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

You should be able to boost a low mileage 2.4 to around 350whp with good tuning and have it last a while, even 400whp is possible but you may not get the longevity your looking for.

The nice thing to consider about the 2.4 is they are relatively cheap to replace since they were so widely used. You can get an under 100k mile engine for only $4-500 usually
NGKTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion