Thoughts on clutch? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Thoughts on clutch?

My clutch is slipping and I will need to replace it soon. I was just looking at reusing my stock pressure plate and flywheel and getting an ACT 4 puck sprung clutch.

Just wondering if anyone has gone with this before and if you liked/didn't like it? I went this route in my previous "fun" car and while engagement was hard it was a good clutch and never slipped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Garage
I just put in a Stage 3+ clutch in my car with a 1/8" slave cylinder spacer and an adjustable master cylinder from Performance Auto Werks. Never thought of playing around with the stock components like that.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

I read where your new clutch broke your trans recently. Do the 2.5 and 2.0s have the same transmissions?

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
It was the clutch throw that broke it and while they have the same trans, they don't have the same clutches.

What broke my trans was the clutch not completely disengaging because the clutch pedal travel was off thus I was trying to shift without the clutch totally disengaged. This lead to the brakeage. With the new master in I don't have the issue anymore.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

I did this in the probe. Really the thing that gives you the grip in the clutch is the material. For the probe and a lot of vehicles ACT clutches had the most hold, but they were really aggressive. So to get the added grip but still have some forgiveness and to not fully shock the transmission we would use the old stock pressure plate since really stock pressure is all a pucked aggressive clutch disk would really need. It really did make for a great clutch!

Also, to be honest it's WAY cheaper than buying a clutch "kit" like you would get from spec for the $550 price tag which is uncalled for to be honest.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Ugh! This clutch is so weird! I just did the clutch test where you start the car, let it warm up fully, pull the ebrake, and put it in fifth gear. According to this test if the clutch is slipping and you smoothly let out the clutch it won't stall the car. I did this three times and the car stalled immediately all three times! According to this test my clutch isn't slipping.

I don't know if this is just the clutch getting heating up when I get on it and slipping or what, but it doesn't seem to be slipping and still causes the car to stall like it should.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Ugh! This clutch is so weird! I just did the clutch test where you start the car, let it warm up fully, pull the ebrake, and put it in fifth gear. According to this test if the clutch is slipping and you smoothly let out the clutch it won't stall the car. I did this three times and the car stalled immediately all three times! According to this test my clutch isn't slipping.

I don't know if this is just the clutch getting heating up when I get on it and slipping or what, but it doesn't seem to be slipping and still causes the car to stall like it should.
That is barely subjecting the clutch to any abuse. It is not an effective way to gauge. When you're in gear and floor it, the RPM's will climb without your speed climbing proportionally. That is what slipping feels like. It often stinks afterward too.

Borg Warner EFR6758, EBC, & Forgev2 BPV
Custom boost tubes & intake
Twinscroll turbo manifold & custom catted downpipe
HPTuners
Performance Autowerks FMIC
RPi exhaust
AEM AFR & boost in ddm pillar
Spec ST2+ clutch & half mass flywheel
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArikDahn View Post
That is barely subjecting the clutch to any abuse. It is not an effective way to gauge. When you're in gear and floor it, the RPM's will climb without your speed climbing proportionally. That is what slipping feels like. It often stinks afterward too.
Here is how strange this is!

I did another test last night. I got the car to operating temp and put it in competition mode for the tune. Put it in fourth gear and at 2000rpms I floor it. Not once did the clutch slip. I did this in third and fourth. According to most car tech sites the parked 5th gear test and the low rpm wot 4th and 3rd gear pulls are the tests they use. According to those tests they wouldn't conclude my clutch is slipping and tell me they couldn't replicate.

So...thinking my clutch was fine I decided to do a full pull from a dead stop (as if I was at the drag strip). I launch and run it through first shift second catches wheels chirp then get near redline shift third catches and make it to redline (I'm around 100mph at this point) I shift into fourth and there is the slip again. It slips keeping the rpms at around 5,000 before finally catching and matching speed.

This really has me confused now. If the clutch was just slipping I could replicate in the low rpm wot 4th gear pull because torque would cause the slip. In this case it only happens right after I shift into 4th.

Is there anything else other than a slipping clutch that might cause this?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Just found some really interesting information about why a vehicle with a LSD might seem to have a slipping clutch but doesn't.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=1404712

Here is a bit of the information:

"EXEDY Tech Information
Application: Subaru Impreza WRX & Sti
Subject: Clutch Slipping, but it might not be a Clutch!
If you have a concern about the vehicle's clutch slips under hard
acceleration but drives normally or better under light acceleration,
it might not be a clutch.
Recommendation
Before you start to change or complain about the clutch, you may
want to check if the retaining clip on the inner end of rear axle shaft
has come off or not.
Why check this part?
If the clip has come off, the axle shaft can move outward slightly to
disengage from the side gear of the rear differential but, the wheel
bearing retainer assembly will not allow the axle to come out
completely.
Since WRX has a limited slip rear differential, there is enough drag
torque to move the vehicle under light acceleration but not under
hard acceleration.
How to determine
Put the vehicle on the lift. (such as 2-post lift: all wheels must be
spun freely)
Start the engine and put in gear. Engage the clutch and see if all
four wheels are turning. If there are any wheels not turning, inspect
the wheel not turning.
* Pay maximum attention for safety, such as using extra stand to
hold the vehicle stable and secure.
How to repair
Push the axle shaft inward and re-engage the retaining clip. You
may need to take out the rear differential cover to re-install the
retaining clip. We recommend to inspect the axle shaft and joint
assembly carefully for any damage.
Addition
There are several case the vehicle acts like the clutch slips, but it
is caused by above reason and/ or bad differential and/ or joint
components.
For Technical Question;
EXEDY Clutch Europe Ltd.
Phone; +44-1928-571850"
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone have any thoughts. or experience on the previous subject?
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
If you have a rear main seal oil leak on the backside of the motor, it can get on your clutch. I must have a bit of a leak as when I let mine sit for the winter, I have the same issue you're describing for the first couple of weeks after pulling it out of storage. Mine goes away though after the first few weeks of driving it again. Mine also smells like either an electrical fire or burning garbage...depending on how hot it gets.

I know that I'm not hard on my clutch...my Mustang had over 160k on the original clutch and I didn't baby that car!
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
If you have a rear main seal oil leak on the backside of the motor, it can get on your clutch. I must have a bit of a leak as when I let mine sit for the winter, I have the same issue you're describing for the first couple of weeks after pulling it out of storage. Mine goes away though after the first few weeks of driving it again. Mine also smells like either an electrical fire or burning garbage...depending on how hot it gets.

I know that I'm not hard on my clutch...my Mustang had over 160k on the original clutch and I didn't baby that car!
That's the other thing too that's confusing me. It does not smell like a burning clutch at all. There is just nothing definitive.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I had the same issue and same symptoms with my car. Would go to pass someone in 5th and even with light acceleration the engine would rev. Also though, If I was accelerating hard from a stop, 1 and 2 would be fine but 3rd would rev.

Swapped clutches and no more issues. No sign of anything on the clutch but the stock flywheel did have a couple of hot spots.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm..... I guess it must be the clutch then. Can I reuse my flywheel? I read something about it being a completely different flywheel that can't be resurfaced?
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
First off, the OE clutch on the Kappa cars does not smell like a normal clutch. To answer your last question, from my understanding, an extremely well balanced and surfaced flywheel is a must. I was going to replace mine last year and the slipping went away and I was going to use an Exedy flywheel because it was much lighter then the OE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.