WILL RE-TUNING OR REFLASHING YOUR ECM really be worth it? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Saturn Sky Performance Discussion Internal Engine | External Engine | Suspension | Exhaust | Upgrades and Aftermarket

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (16)
WILL RE-TUNING OR REFLASHING YOUR ECM really be worth it?

HI ALL!!!!

THIS WHOLE ECM RE-TUNING or REFLASHING SUBJECT KEEPS COMING UP!

DOES THIS WORK?

WHO DOES IT?

WHAT ARE THE BENIFITS?

ARE THERE DRAWBACKS?

HOW MUCH OF A HORSEPOWER GAIN ARE WE TALKING?

I am very interested in this whole ECM re-tuning...doeas anyone have some solid info about this? I think if we all talked about this more people would be interesed in this modification!

Below is a link to the solstice forum talking all about Reflashing the ECM!

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...t=14449&page=2

LETS TALK ABOUT THIS PEOPLE...this is important stuff!

RedSky
REDSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2006, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (0)
From what I have read reflashing the ECM on its own will help only a little. Were it helps a lot is when the reflash is used with CAI, Shorty Headers, and CAT...All of which I now have (only need the SKY) so I will reflash the ECM and find out for my self...USMC posted HP numbers for the SOL site and with all the above mods HP to the Wheels will be from 210 to 218. That is the amount of HP I am looking for...SEAL9
Thermal Research Dual Exhaust
DDM Supercharger Stage II.5
DDM Shock Tower Brace
KONI Adj Shocks
DDM Brakes/Pro Beam/Back Bone
Wideband AFR /Boost
Water/Methyl alc Inj
seal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (16)
Same Mods Here!

Seal...those are the same Mods I'm making to my Sky....

210-218 is WHAT IM LOOKING FOR AS WELL!

That would be perfect....there is this CHRIS WHITE guy im talking to at Vector Motersports that seems to know whats hes doing with the ECMs....

I'm sending him an E-mail now to talk about it with him....Keep us posted on your mods...I'll do the same...I need some more info on this ReFlashing stuff...

Peace, RedSky
REDSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (3)
Send a message via AIM to usmc Send a message via Yahoo to usmc
Quote:
Originally Posted by seal9
From what I have read reflashing the ECM on its own will help only a little. Were it helps a lot is when the reflash is used with CAI, Shorty Headers, and CAT...All of which I now have (only need the SKY) so I will reflash the ECM and find out for my self...USMC posted HP numbers for the SOL site and with all the above mods HP to the Wheels will be from 210 to 218. That is the amount of HP I am looking for...SEAL9

Thats how I understand also. PLUS, not only does it open up the potential of your bolt-ons but it gets rid of what everyone is calling "nanny controls" which from what I gather means things like removing the delay in throttle control so things are much more snappy and respond quicker to your lead foot.

it does more than that but I can't remember exact terminology. The sol forum as entire threads on this.
Stubby Antenna
AEM Intake
coming someday-dual exhaust,headers, SC!
usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

To achieve the 210+ you need to go to the Long tube header and not the shorty, the BHP is about 206 to 209 with those mods(Shorty Header), the Long tube with No Cat, or high flow Cat should put you a bit above 210 BHP.
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 02:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc

Thats how I understand also. PLUS, not only does it open up the potential of your bolt-ons but it gets rid of what everyone is calling "nanny controls" which from what I gather means things like removing the delay in throttle control so things are much more snappy and respond quicker to your lead foot.

it does more than that but I can't remember exact terminology. The sol forum as entire threads on this.
My Sol feels like a different car. It responds to my right foot immediatly with no lag. It gets to the snappy rpm's quicker and it doesn't feel like it is being drug down in 3rd. I can say that it now feels like a sports car, a little under HP, but now shows potential. The tires can now bark, before they wouldn't even yip. The mpg has also increased by 2-3 around town, probably would do better if I could keep my foot out of it. This is a must do as far as I'm concerned.
nighttamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttamer
My Sol feels like a different car. It responds to my right foot immediatly with no lag. It gets to the snappy rpm's quicker and it doesn't feel like it is being drug down in 3rd. I can say that it now feels like a sports car, a little under HP, but now shows potential. The tires can now bark, before they wouldn't even yip. The mpg has also increased by 2-3 around town, probably would do better if I could keep my foot out of it. This is a must do as far as I'm concerned.
The above are normal results that come from a good tune. Getting your computer reflashed by a good tuner is by far the best money you can spend.

Spending $1,000 on a cat back and intake for 10 horsepower is pretty lame when you can spend $450 for a totally different driving car.

Better yet save your $1,450 and spend another $3,500 on a redline for a whopping 50% power increase! If you're a performance guy you might as well buy a redline when you can sell your used Sky at full retail.
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (3)
Send a message via AIM to usmc Send a message via Yahoo to usmc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb
The above are normal results that come from a good tune. Getting your computer reflashed by a good tuner is by far the best money you can spend.

Spending $1,000 on a cat back and intake for 10 horsepower is pretty lame when you can spend $450 for a totally different driving car.

Better yet save your $1,450 and spend another $3,500 on a redline for a whopping 50% power increase! If you're a performance guy you might as well buy a redline when you can sell your used Sky at full retail.
actually, with the catback/intake/ecm mods the sol guys are seeing 205-207 BHP (25-30hp gain). 1500 bucks for 25-30 bhp isnt to bad. The ECM flash also makes the car drive like it should and the exhaust mods make it sound like it should.. you can get all three for a right around 1500.00.

I know where you coming from about if your truly performance, get an RL.. but in my case... and probably others... thats more than I wanted to spend on a car at this time. At least with the bolt-ons you don't have to do it all at once. You can spend a few bucks now on the cai, then maybe a few months down the line get the headers..... etc. Final result with ECM, headers, catback, and CAI (apprx - 2000.00) I'll have a car right around 205-210 BHP.

I think that will be enough for now, and plenty more fun to drive than a stock sky. If the pennies fall right, then I will either be getting the RL in a few years or putting a Hahn on my base sky but thats if the pennies fall right and a more attractive car doesn't come out between now and then.
my 2 cents

Aren't your a member of the SOL forum?? your name sounds familiar
Stubby Antenna
AEM Intake
coming someday-dual exhaust,headers, SC!

Last edited by usmc; 05-09-2006 at 04:13 PM.
usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

One of our Florida customers sent me his dyno graphs. He had the cold air intake and exhaust on his car. The only change was our shorty header and he gained 10 HP. I will get it posted as soon as I can. So the whole long tube vs short tube header debate is certainly going to be interesting.

Tuning is definitely worth doing but the current cost seems way high.
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via AIM to Kappa Fan
Here is a post from the Solstice Forum - LatinVenom gives the *best bang for your buck* description on mods.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...5&postcount=20
The time has come for the enthusiasts...

NASSOA
Founding Member

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kappa Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporting Member

CURSE YOU PEOPLE...

Here's the story...I have a Grand Prix that is currently heavily modded but broke because of the modifications that have been done to it. I've ordered the Sky and PLANED on keeping it stock...

...after reading some of these posts and not 24 hours after putting the deposit down I'm thinking "Yea...210 to the wheels...light car...now we're talking!!!" DANG IT PEOPLE...

...going shopping for headers, catback, pcm and CAI...thanks...just...thanks...LOL
GMPP CAI
16.540 @ 82.096 MPH
**Sold**

Other car 97 Grand Prix GTP.
12.07 @ 113.4 MPH
As seen on Pinks All Out Las Vegas!
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Personally if you are going to spend the money to reflash the ECU/PCM you might as well throw some "Hot-Cams" in the engine first. Make the most out of the re-timing. Of course making the thing breathe better never hurts, the engine is after all a "glorified air-pump."
LS2 MN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Saturn Sky Performance Discussion