Looking at 2008 carbon flash - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Getting Your Saturn Sky Forum for discussing the process of ordering/tracking/buying your Saturn Sky. Ever wonder what a VOMS is? How about an "image", or how cars are allocated? The answer probably lies within.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Looking at 2008 carbon flash

Hi
I'm new to this forum and was hoping to get some advice. I'll be looking at a 2008 redline carbon flash SE. The original owner (a friend of my wife) is selling it. It has about 43K miles.
What should I check out during my test drive? What kind of price should this be in good condition?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum! Best thing I can think of is to check for a water pump leak. That's the biggie. There is a thread on the Solstice Forum about this that gives all the things you want to look for on our cars. Can't remember the link but perhaps someone that visits both sites may be more familiar with it.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Welcome from a current Carbon Flash owner.

Although you say it's a friend and all I would make sure it's a Carbon Flash. The VIN should start with 1G8MJ. It appears the Red Line version of this special edition got it's own VIN. I say this because the insurance is slightly higher for a SE and there has been one person who was told they had a Carbon Flash and it was not.

Here' a thread on the Solstice forum. I scanned quickly so not sure if it's in there but Rob The Elder has a very thorough list on what to look for.

Good Luck!

Joe

FLASHED

2008 Red Line Carbon Flash SE Naked!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
With Robo and strungjoe you have two of our finer members, who know what their talking about. Water pump seems to be the big issue with this model. I would find out if it has been replaced, or has the rad. fluid been changed out? Ignition recall done? Pvt. seller or dealer? Any maint. records, from 1st owner, on what has or has not been done to it? Stock or modd?

Nose scrape? Broken qtr. panels? Top operation, and fabric condition? If as strungjoe has mentioned here, you have a real deal Redline CF SE model, then you have a rare one. Limited production #'s. Insurance rates for it? That is a key, what sold me on it. However it could be expensive. DD use or weekend fun & run car?

ChopTop has some threads on here about low mileage/ low price options for the Kappa, up dated weekly. Should tell you round about what some of them go for. Dealer mark up is always in the picture. You can offer them what you think you would like to pay for it, see what they say? You can walk away, but if they want to sell it bad enough, the imfamous ..." Let me talk to my sales manager, see what I can do for you", will come up!

The " Permagrin " will affect you, right from the get go. You have been warned. Watch the speedo on the test drive, you can be at 100mph. before you know it, trust me on this one!

Hope it affects your day! Your face muscles will never ever be the same again.

LAC
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I'm not as familiar w/Sky's as much as Sols, other than noticing that a Sky in like condition as a Sol is generally $1500 to $2000 more. Carbon Flash was a special color run and from what I have read on here there may have only been around 500 in that color? (if someone has a specific breakdown please post). But I wouldn't let the seller know that.

Back when I was trying to decide between a Sol and a Sky I did look at a Carbon Flash, and thought it was beautiful. However…I also thought it was the type of color that had to be spotless all the time because the metallic could also look like a fine layer of dust on the black paint.

If I had to put a price on it, I'd say 12 to 14, but I think I'm on the high side compared to NADA or KBB values. But then when it comes to values, private Kappa* sellers tend to ignore those sources. But just so you know, prices for Sols & Skys continue to be all over the map. I've seen low mileage cars w/great prices, and I've seen high mileage cars w/ridiculous prices. Kappa prices will continue to drop in the future, how low is anyone's guess, and as far as collectibility goes, I place both the Sky and Sol in the cult class. I think of a cult car as a car that has a small group of fanatic followers/enthusiasts, but its still isn't accepted by mainstream collectors.

Also, if it has a manual that's better yet since auto's outsold manuals 3 to one on Sols, and I'm assuming it may be the same w/Skys. With the demise of auto transmission in general, there may be a day that manual cars are worth more than autos, collector car wise.

*Kappa is the platform name that the Sol & Skys shared.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow! This is great information. Thank you all for spending the time with your advice.
I will be going to look at this car tomorrow. I'm excited! Here's a few things I take from your advice that I will use tomorrow:
-Try to suppress the urge to grin constantly while looking at the car.
-Check the vin for authenticity. she told me that it was a limited edition with something like 550 produced (I did't ask)
-Get service records (she said that she babied the car and told me what dealer she has been using, so I think she might have good records)
-Check the water pump
-Price? that's going to be tough. One thing I found is that there have not been many of this SE on the market lately.
-Check the top operation, etc.

Thanks again, and if I pull the trigger I'll be back with some pics! and probably a bunch more questions.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC Sky View Post
With Robo and stungjoe you have two of our finer members, who know what their talking about.
LAC
haha I haven't even received word back on the padawan learners entrance exam compared to robo's Master Jedi knowledge. but thanks

Hunger88 also don't forget to check the fenders for cracks underneath. Follow the curve down from the chicklett and feel along the underside for cracks/fractures. The fenders are very fragile if the car has ever been jacked up incorrectly or in my case an ill-placed parking curb. The wheel liners are also bad about cracking/breaking around the mounting bolts but that is very common and not necessarily any sign of abuse or damage...just poor design maybe. The liners are cheap compared to the fenders though.

EDIT: the 550 number is correct by all accounts split between NAs and Red Lines.

Joe

FLASHED

Last edited by stungjoe; 02-11-2017 at 09:00 AM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stungjoe View Post
haha I haven't even received word back on the padawan learners entrance exam compared to robo's Master Jedi knowledge. but thanks
Naw...there are those out there that know a lot more about this car than I. GMTECH, Tomato Soup, Rob the Elder...many more I can't think of because I just woke up...

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stungjoe View Post
Hunger88 also don't forget to check the fenders for cracks underneath.
Thanks stungjoe. I'll check.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Just throwing this out, Carbon Flash was known as Magnetic for the Sol, and production numbers is 274 for the 2008 model year. It sounds as if you have found a beautiful car.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OH MAN!!!
I just got back from my test drive. It was hard for me to look objective when I was checking it out. It's extremely fast and responsive. Everything looks pretty good. All of your advice was very helpful.
I told them I would get back with them in a few days. Hopefully they aren't watching this site
They did replace the water pump, and the put new wheels on it in the last few weeks which I like a lot better than the stock.
I took some pics that I will post if I can figure out how.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The pictures aren't that great. It's been raining and its kind of dirty. If I get it I'll clean it up and take better pics.
Tell me what you think of the wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0211171024b.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	88778   Click image for larger version

Name:	0211171025_HDR.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	88786   Click image for larger version

Name:	0211171023a.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	88794  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:04 PM

Glad you liked it! It looks like a fine un-molested example of a Red Line. As chop top mentioned, it's a color that must be clean to really exhibit it's beauty to the fullest. There's nothing like it when the sun is shining.

I'm a chrome wheel kinda guy
If these came in a 9" wide version they would be on my car.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

EDIT: What is on the fuel door?

Joe

FLASHED

Last edited by stungjoe; 02-11-2017 at 07:19 PM.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
She loves Hawaii. That's one of those Hawaii flower decals. I'll probably be asking about how to remove at some point
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
CHECK those fenders for Cracks. To me this is a bigger issue than the water pump. The only real way to see the cracks is get down on the ground, the cracking happens so far under it's impossible to see while standing (if you see while standing its a big crack) I did not know how far under to look when I got my car, lucky things worked out for me. But a cracked fender is a $1000 repair. I think Water pump is in the $600 range (someone else can tell you better on that one).

550 and that call that rare.. Ha.

Personally I hate the wheels but thats a personal taste issue. Now I have to question why the replaced the wheels a week before putting it up for sale? CHECK THE FENDERS FOR CRACKS.

Price 2008 redline 45k miles $12-$15k.

The other thing I would check on the 2008, is does it have the Electric vacuum pump (EVP) for the brake. Follow the line coming off the brake booser, if it T's within say a foot of the brake booster you have a latter one with with EVP if not its an earlier 2008 with no EVP. Is this an issue, I don't know as I never drove one without, but it would be a concern for me. Now if price is right and I love the car this would not be a deal breaker, just something to be aware of.

Oh and one last thing to check, CHECK THE FENDERS FOR CRACKS. oh, ask if they did an aftermarket tune to the engine or the GM powertrain tune (pic of the engine bay would tell us if they did the GM tune. Post some pics of the engine compartment.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Getting Your Saturn Sky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.