thinking about getting a sky - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Getting Your Saturn Sky
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Getting Your Saturn Sky Forum for discussing the process of ordering/tracking/buying your Saturn Sky. Ever wonder what a VOMS is? How about an "image", or how cars are allocated? The answer probably lies within.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Its a manual, I've driven manual for a while with my right knee being bad nothing I buy is going to be easy on it. This is more of a secondary car anyway my daily is my Saturn ION. If it wouldn't have snowed a few inches in the past few days I would go and take it for a test drive. I might look for some other ones with less miles I just don't want to spend more then 20k on a car. I figure the less I can buy one up front the more I can put into repairs, and keeping up with 2 cars.
SMielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

You should be able to pick up a decent lower mileage Sky Redline for $15,000-$18,000.

I've been kicking around selling mine and buying a lower mileage one. Mine is just shy of 60,000 miles.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
I've seen a couple Solstices for sale on the sister site with half the miles for barely more.

The price for the miles is too high.

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
Elff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
I've seen a couple Solstices for sale on the sister site with half the miles for barely more.

The price for the miles is too high.
That's what I was worried about I went for a test drive in it and to me it seemed to bog down around 5k rpm, don't know if it was normal or not but I think I am going to pass on this one and search for a lower mileage one that is a little farther from home.
SMielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMielke View Post
That's what I was worried about I went for a test drive in it and to me it seemed to bog down around 5k rpm, don't know if it was normal or not but I think I am going to pass on this one and search for a lower mileage one that is a little farther from home.
That's where the little turbo runs out of huff. Checkout a stock dyno chart and you will see it drop off on the top end. Such is the price of a quick spooling turbo.

This isnt mine, but is another stock Saturn sky RL:

miller11386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
I have seen similar charts for my car when it was still a 2.0. The lines did not drop off as much or as early. I was told that using after market charge tubes (with some contribution from the larget intercooler) reduced the internal charge air turbulence induced by the factory charge tubes, with a resultant shifting of the knee in the curve up to very close to redline.

In essence, I was told that while the charge tubes did not add any power, they shifted the drop off significantly to the right which resulted in more total area under the curve.

Last edited by Rob the Elder; 01-30-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Rob the Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #22 (permalink)

My personal hypothesis is that the majority of "shifting the curve to the right" is a product of an aftermarket IC, more so than the aftermarket charge tubes:

The reason I say this is because there is a known pressure drop across the OEM IC of 1-2PSI. Therefore the OEM turbo has to push 1-2 PSI more to achieve the actual commanded boost. Which at altitude really becomes crucial, but has an effect at all altitudes because the turbo effectively hits the end of the efficiency curve at a lower engine RPM: because the turbo is having to spin faster than it would have to, if not for the pressure drop across the IC.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #23 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Yet another reason to go NA!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMielke View Post
If you want a low mileage NA Solstice, that's been BABIED, a friend at work is thinking about selling hers. PM me if interested.
carnut122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Getting Your Saturn Sky