Front grill question - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Other KAPPA, Sky and Small Roadster/RWD Cars > Saturn SKY vehicles/parts For Sale/Wanted
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Saturn SKY vehicles/parts For Sale/Wanted Place for MEMBERS to post want to buy or vehicles for sale. NO COMMERCIAL POSTING, no PROMOTION OF VEHICLES OR ITEMS YOU DO NOT PERSONALLY OWN.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Front grill question

I was thinking about taking the front grill off to allow more air flow to my air filter. I have a Fujita CAI. When it rains, will it get into my intake and hurt the engine at all?
charlieskycorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

There is metal behind the silver and black plastic upper grill pieces.
SkyVue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

O alright, so what if I were to take out the pieces on tip of my hood? Would that hurt my engine at all or are there metal parts behind that too?
charlieskycorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieskycorson View Post
O alright, so what if I were to take out the pieces on tip of my hood? Would that hurt my engine at all or are there metal parts behind that too?
Not sure what you're trying to do that the CAI isn't already doing for you, but taking off the faux hood grilles will definitely lead to water in the engine compartment. You will also be exposing the composite (felt?) hood liner.
27rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Anytime you make modifications to allow air containing water, such as that which comes up from the road or from vehicles in front of you, you take the risk of saturating the air filter with water.

I have a 2006 motor home with a Ford V 10. They designed the air intake in such a way that air would ram into the air intake from the outside through the front grill. In a rain storm on my way to Florida, the engine began to stumble and eventually stall. For some reason, I decide to open up the filter canister since it seemed as though something was blocking the air flow. The filter was full of water and collapsed, blocking air flow. Fortunately, I had an extra air filter, but when I got to Florida, I had to change it again.

Ford came up with a fix which did away with the ram effect through the front grill. The air pick up was above the grill and ran down to the bottom of the engine compartment and back up to the filter canister. A drain hole was cut into the bend of the air pick up to allow water to drain out before it got the the filter. It had no effect on performance but sure made life easier in the rain.
Red Leather interior
Black top
Automatic
No modifications
EFBRODIESR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (13)
do not fix what is not broken
marlboromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

From years on a forum for Supercharged cars I've learned forcing more air to the filter will not do ****. The turbo is going to compress the air on it's own. My old car was blown and had a ram air hood that did 0 for power.
5.0 Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Here is some useful reading

Index of stock intake and CAI threads - Pontiac Solstice Forum

The induction / cooling system on the Kappa platform is a bottom breather. The majority of the air needed to cool (and intake air) is captured in the high pressure zone at the front of the car below the bumper. There is plastic ducting that scoops up the air, moves it throught he intercooler and then throught he radiator.

Diddling with the upper grilles has a better chance of making the air flow worse rather than better.

There is some evidence that opening up the hood vents has a positive impact on air temps under the hood.

Function Hood Vents

JRinKY took thermal measurements some time ago when there was a long running conversation about the benefits of a cold air intake that draws air from under the hood. My recollection is that he found that the temps at the intake are within a degree or two of ambient as soon as the car is moving forward at any appreciable speed.

I am not sure what technical problem you are trying to solve but if its to get air into the engine bay, then the current ducting system does that very well. If its to allow air to exit under the hood, then a more functional solution is one of Norms vented fenders that will allow exhaust air from the rear corners of the engine bay which appears to provide a much better air flow.

See the "Functional Sky Fenders" link on this page
Saturn Sky at Norm's Fiberglass
Old 12-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
do not fix what is not broken
X2

Idle hands lead to buggered up cars to no good end.
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1965 Jensen CV8,
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT (sold)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2013 Mazda 3 Sport
Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Other KAPPA, Sky and Small Roadster/RWD Cars > Saturn SKY vehicles/parts For Sale/Wanted