Saturn Sky Forum banner

2007 Stock Battery Replacement

24K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  TomatoSoup 
#1 ·
Coming up on 5 yrs since I pcked the car up (12/31/06). I'd rather replace the battery now instead of when stranded. What is the best battery for long life ? I can't believe the stock has lasted this long !!

#2 ·
I did the same thing today..it lasted 5 and half years..It was still running well but I knew it was time...I had GM replace the battery with an identical one. It cost 196 dollars including tax and fees...that included labor also. GM tells there techs not to take off the fender...but to take off the wheel well...he showed me the print out...We got lucky...so why change batteries.

#5 ·
10 years

I have heard of car batteries lasting 10 years - but I would consider that an exception. somewhere between 5 and 8 years is a good time to proactively replace.

then again - sometimes - depending on year round weather conditions and milage - you can have other items such as a fusible link or an alternator go bad - and it may appear that the battery has died - when in fact something else in the charging system is really the problem.

#6 ·
Use a dry cell remove the acid.
There are a lot of post on this.
LLLFLY

#9 ·
I am looking at replacing my battery as well as it is 6 years old now, having only one problem, this week the car didn't start and flashed the dash lamps. Thinking the battery was on its way out i find the negative battery clamp loose and fairly corroded, wondering if anyone has found a good replacement end for these, as i want to replace battery and clamp end, without spending another hundred bucks for a complete cable.

#14 ·
I used a X2 dry cell. On the tray knock over the two tabs.
Now any make will fit.
LLLFLY

#15 ·
It's fun being stranded.
You meet some of the darndest people.
Go down to Radio Shack and by a digital multimeter.
Check your battery once a week.
The multimeter will tell you in pleanty of time.
That the battery is knocking on Heavens door.

#19 · (Edited)
I don't know about a kit, but I'm sure it's possible. The question remains, why would you want to? I don't think just moving the battery is going to give you enough of a weight distribution advantage to make it worth your while. Besides, if I had that trunk mod (which I've not seen anything on in a while) done I certainly wouldn't waste the extra space on a battery. Sure every 5-6 years when you need to replace the battery it would be easier, but with the extra space you would have the possibility of being able to go on a trip and put the top down :D.

#22 ·
Thats easy enough to do.
In 09 they added a speaker like grill to the carpet in the rear trunk.
This was to eliminate air back pressure when closing the trunk. It allows airto escape through the rear body quarter panel
Instead of buying the new liner, i cut a couple of horizontal holes in the same location.

My trunk closes much easier now, and that would solve the vent issue

#23 ·
Any one have the GM instructions for wheel cover removal vs. fendor

Do any of you folks have those instructions. My service dept want $350 for battery replacement. Looking for cheaper alternative with the proper installation.

#24 ·
Do any of you folks have those instructions. My service dept want $350 for battery replacement. Looking for cheaper alternative with the proper installation.
Look it up in the search portion of this forum...don't be lazy. It is real easy, either way. I did not want to do it in the summer..temp was in the 90s...so I brought it into my GM dealership...190.00 including taxes.

#29 ·
Thanks Elff

Thank you for your kind assistance. Here in central illinois the assigned GM service provider for Saturn is a total and complete crook. I am truly an owner of an orphaned vehicle in this wilderness. Your assistance is truly appreciated.

#30 ·
For anyone wanting a lightweight battery, I found an interesting comment on another forum:

"The Braille battery is actually a neat little battery manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing.

Their battery is the Deka EXT30L battery. It is sold under several different brands including "Big Crank" and "Magna Power". The Deka, Big Crank, and Magna brands can be had for about a hundred bucks. They are specifically marketed as motorcycle/atv type batteries.

Braille (as well as Tomioka) rebadge them with their stickers and markets them as lightweight "racing" batteries at twice or three times the cost. They also greatly exaggerate the amp output. Braille lists "pulse" amps however, that is a b/s rating. Take a box wrench and short it across the battery posts and most all batteries will arc with a tremendous blast of energy. What matters is CCA (cold cranking amps).

Anyway, I installed a "Big Crank" battery in my 400 hp 10.5 compression v-8 motor and it starts just fine."​

Seems like 400 CCA would be adequate for a little 4-cylinder.

#34 ·
Thanks

Very helpful. I'll probably have a shop do it but at least I know they don't have to remove the support as one dealer told me. I can also see that it's not worth $350. I'll shop around.

Again, thanks for the public service.

#35 · (Edited)
Thank you acsilverdragon for that video! My battery died here at work yesterday and I want you to know that I watched your video, brought in the tools today and it only took me about 20 minutes to take the fender off in the company parking lot! Unfortunately, I'm apparently not strong enough to get the bolts off the old battery so I'm waiting for the warehouse guys to go to lunch then I'm going to offer one of them $20 to switch it out for me. Hopefully, the fender will go back on as easily as it came off. LOL!

I was really dreading the day that I would have to do this but seeing your video made it so much easier. Thanks again. :cheers:
Judi

EDIT: Took only about 10 minutes to put it back on. I took a picture in my office before I put it back on as proof for all you ladies out there that you can do it too!:thumbs

#37 ·
What a great Lady!
WTG
LLLFLY

Like other Lady's give me that tool. And stand back.

#38 ·
Apologies for not being on as much...In my video I recommended the Die hard Platinum p3 75/86...unfortunately due to Sears not doing so well they are no longer buying batteries from odyssey and repackaging them (I updated the video info to). But the good news is Odyssey was the original makers of the Die Hard Platinum, and you can still get the Odyssey 75/86-PC1230DT for your Sky for a few extra bucks..make sure you purchase your battery from a reputable battery salesmen/store, or if you go online make sure the company ships it to you well as batteries are not something you want to use that was poorly shipped..good luck all!!

#39 ·
Ok guys i got nailed as well...Tried to start the car a while ago and everything was blinking, the lights, the console, everything ! Even the car/lock error post and several other things (including service ESC and such). The last part i didn't know could be cause of the battery is dead but ok.

Regardless since its Saturday now and there are no open dealerships any walkthroughs on how to change the battery easily ? Also any recommendation on power capacity or shall i get the same ?

PS : Mine is the 2009 model if it makes any difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.