Saturn Sky Forum banner

aisin ar5 will not shift into 4th.

21K views 56 replies 20 participants last post by  slvrsky07 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a an issue with my 2007 Saturn Sky 2.4L manual 5 speed. So here is the issues I am having. I have always had the issue sense I got the car but not nearly this bad... I had the clutch replaced professionally about 3k miles ago, Spec stage 3, 6 puck. Clutch is awesome! But when the transmission was taken out and the clutch installed I had the transmission oil replaced with 75w90 which from what I read online was the right oil. But I also read that the transmission should have Pennzoil Synchromesh or GM grade. So I flushed out the oil that was changed when the clutch was done with Pennzoil synchromesh figuring this would be the fix the 4th gear shifting issue.. Well I thought it did for alittle while, I have realized that it shifts way better when going through the gears besides 4th gear. But now it will not shift into 4th unless I get 3rd gear almost up to 4000 rpm before attempting to shift into 4th sometimes it shifts, sometimes it doesn't... I'm hoping there is a simple fix for this issue.. I want to avoid taking the whole transmission out again. The car has currently 122k miles.
I have an issues with the rear CV axles as well they both have play in them, I don't know if that's the reason why the transmission won't shift into 4th...
Thanks for your time!

Photo of the clutch when it was getting installed.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
******update!!*****

Well, it has come to a conclusion it's most likely the synchro for 4th gear. I can no longer shift into 4th gear, and I have a loud knocking and clicking noise in the transmission in 3rd gear. I can no longer go into 4th gear. I actually have to drive the car home tonight, 30 miles or so.. This will be fun... I can shift from 1st to 2nd and to 3rd. But 4th is a joke. 5th I can make it into though! What a surprise. I love this car! But this issue scares me. I hope I don't have to have the car towed home. ?

#6 ·
Synchro are not the issue.
I have had and still have the same condition.
Dave from Performance Werks rebuilt mine with the WPC treatment.
He replaced everything except the main shaft and after a 25 mile drive the same issue occurred. Only 4th gear.
Mine you I do not beat my car, it still has the original tires with plenty of meat on them.
Dave stated he found the problem and has manufactured a new piece and I have been waiting for the repair.

#18 ·
Synchro are not the issue.
I have had and still have the same condition.
Dave from Performance Werks rebuilt mine with the WPC treatment.
Dave stated he found the problem and has manufactured a new piece and I have been waiting for the repair.
Dave at ddm thinks its most likely syncro. Is there another dave i should be asking?
Ummmm.... I think you guys have your Daves crossed.
Yep, I got my Dave's mixed up...Dave at Performance Werks...not DDM Dave.

#8 ·
All that he has told me is that another client had the same issue after he rebuilt it like mine.
After disassembling the transmission he found the issue and has manufactured the piece(s).
He states that he will produce and sell the part(s).
My appointment is the 16th of this month.
Once I find out, I will post......

#10 ·
Seems like he is bypassing something that causes the problem... Keep us up to date on issue please let us know if the issue goes away after the install and maybe a month of driving. I have had my sky for 3 years with no transmission issues till that issue started happening.

#12 ·
Has anyone seen a resolution to this? I shift just fine under normal shifting but under hard shifts I miss 4th every time. I never miss 2nd or 3rd. I know on some transmission they put lesser quality shift forks in the higher gears. If I had to guess I would say I have a broken or bent 3-4 shift fork. I am about to put in a new DDM clutch. Tuned my engine and am running about 280whp on a mustang dyno and the clutch wont hold past 4.5k rpm.

That said, I am hoping to figure the issue out, and what replacement part I may need, while I have the transmission out this winter.
Thanks

#17 ·
Dave at ddm thinks its most likely syncro. Is there another dave i should be asking?

#20 ·
I picked up my car and asked Dave from PAW what he found and made to rectify the issue.
He made a spacer that goes behind the throw out bearing, he also did something to the pins in the transmission with the shifter.
I drove the car home with no issues.
When the weather gets better, I will continue to test the repairs.
I will keep all informed....
Just happy to get it back......

#21 ·
:thumbs: Great to finally hear some feedback! Thanks!

#23 ·
Was it an expensive fix?

My brother and I both run these transmissions in our 24 hours of Lemons cars, mine behind a NA L61 in a 1978 Celica and my brother behind a supercharged L61 in a Miata.
In four endurance races I am ready for my third transmission and my brother onto his 2nd all due to difficult shifting into 4th, I drove the last 2 hours of my last race in 4th!
Neither of us have pulled the transmissions down yet but suspect bad synchros and or damaged shift forks. We tned to shift at around 5500-6000 rpm and run 3rd/4th all day.

#24 ·
I have exact same problem. Can shift 1 - 2, 2 - 3, 3 - 5. Sometimes when driving and cannot get into 4th that's exactly what I do is go from 3 to 5. or I try going back into 3 again a few times and then to 4. Sometimes it will allow me to do that but over time the problem seems to be getting worse not better. Ready to take my car in and see what they tell me because the work about makes driving less fun.

#25 ·
Welcome to the Forum, tapatioeyes! I'm sorry that your first post had to be about a serious issue. I hope that it doesn't cost you too much to get it fixed. If you can, try to find the guy who actually does the manual transmission work in your area. Here in the Houston, there are only 4 or maybe 5 shops that actually do the work. Everybody else just "pull it and put it back in" guys. If you can find the REAL tranny shop(s) you are more likely to get a better price and get your car back sooner.

Best of luck!

Yogi

#26 ·
Put a few thousand miles and no issues with the shifting.
FIXED....
Contact Dave at PAW...
Was not cheap but to me, worth it.

#27 ·
I have the same problem. My 4th gear is spotty at best. The first time I take the car out, I can usually get it to shift from 3rd to 4th. After that, I have to fight it to get it to go...back into 3rd a few times...back to neutral...etc. Sometimes it will drop into 4th. Sometimes it won't. And downshift from 5th to 4th - forget about it. It's progressively getting worse. I'm only driving the car when I'm close to home now or when I know I don't have to shift it into 4th.

I ended up buying a new to me transmission from a 2006 mallet swap. Someday, I will either have it shipped to me, or go get it! Ha ha!

#28 ·
My GXP manual won't shift 5 -> 4 and is rough overall. Ive taken it to 2 different shops and have quotes from $2700 to $3500. Funny thing is the $2700 quote is for a GM reman with 3 year warranty, which is the same price the other shop wants to REPAIR the current trans. Trans replacement is out of my capability but certainly within that of my close circle.

-Is it worth it to call in favors for a weekend project if I can find a low mileage used or reman AR5 or should I suck it up and drop the $2700?
-Additionally since the trans will be out should I drop another $1k+ for an upgraded clutch? One of the shops suspects some slippage and wanted to check it out after removing the trans. I've never liked the stock clutch anyway.

Besides ebay are there any good sites for locating used or remanufactured transmissions?

#29 ·
Honestly, if you have the trans out, replace the clutch. To replace the clutch later you're going to do all the same work you're going to do to replace the trans to swap the clutch. Will save you about $800 in labor to do it now.

Personally, I'd spend the $2,700 and take the 3 year warranty. Trying to do a trans on the ground SUCKS and I'd rather pay someone else to do that kind of job on this car. But that's me.

I use car-parts.com to find used parts all the time. Doing a quick search there (they show two different versions of the manual trans and I'm not sure of the differences be it RL vs 2.4 or the original style or the style with the added bracing) and they range from $315 - $1200.

#30 ·
Thanks. Checked out car-parts.com over the weekend. There seem to be some great deals.

All the information i've seen shows trans being identical in 2.4 and 2.0. Regarding the 2007 interim design change I'm not sure how to tell the difference or how to tell a seller on car-parts.com or other sites how to determine if a trans is pre- or post- design change. It's my understanding that all 2008MY cars and newer have the design change and MOST 2007's do (but not all?). I might limit myself to 2008/9 trans to be safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.