ANOTHER Rearview Mirror Post.... - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
ANOTHER Rearview Mirror Post....

I've read most of the other posts concerning this, but still haven't found an answer. I currently have the rearview mirror with map lights and OnStar controls. What I want to do is replace that with a mirror with map lights, OnStar AND auto-dimming feature. I saw several posts referencing a replacement mirror for a Chevy Cobalt, but that also seemed to have mixed reviews.

So my question is: Has anyone actually replaced their existing mirror with one that includes map lights, OnStar and auto-dimming? Some have also mentioned about not needing the OnStar, which I agree with, but I also don't want to kill any existing features and hurt any future resale opportunities.
Monsoon 6-disc/XM/BT
Black Leather
Polished Aluminum
Trunk closeouts
Billet engine fluid covers
Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

I think someone did change out their mirror and it worked. But yall have ta do the advanced search on it using rear view mirror or such.....Skip.....
"smart azz redneck that loves to drink that Jack and chase women".......My kind of guy.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

I purchased my mirror off ebay. I did a search for auto dimming mirror, On Star and map lights. My mirror was off a Buick Regal or Monti Carlo. To get the mirrors auto dimming to function use the following link Auto Dimming mirror with OnStar, cheap. - Pontiac Solstice Forum. My mirror works great and I have retained the On Star functions.
Benedetto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
GT!

My Photos: (2)
I've done it also. Picked up a mirror with map lights, onstar, autodim from eBay from an Impala. It was about $50 inc. shipping. It's an easy mod, but try to buy one that includes the old pigtail because you need to remove a pin from it and insert it into that factory harness and provide switched 12v to it. The factory harness is missing the pin because it didn't have autodim function, and that's the only difference in the harnesses. I just spliced the extra pin into an existing wire (pin 6, which carries 12v). Very easy mod and it looks completely factory. It's also well worth doing - I love auto-dim, especially on the Sky which is low to the ground.

-GT

Last edited by GT!; 05-02-2010 at 10:40 PM.
GT! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

GT, thanks for the response. Do you happen to have the part number? I've found a few on ebay that I "think" may work, but they all seem to be from 2001 or older cars...not sure I want to buy a part that old.
Monsoon 6-disc/XM/BT
Black Leather
Polished Aluminum
Trunk closeouts
Old 05-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
GT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradster View Post
GT, thanks for the response. Do you happen to have the part number? I've found a few on ebay that I "think" may work, but they all seem to be from 2001 or older cars...not sure I want to buy a part that old.
Heres' the one I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=390153268023

I was wrong ... mine was from a Monte Carlo also, but I think they are all basically the same. You need to look for one with a 16-pin connector (prefereably /w pigtail) that has map lights, onstar, and auto-dim.

Here is the exact same one currently for sale by the same seller:
GM Auto Dim Dimming Rear View Mirror IE11015607 Lights on eBay.ca (item 280495645226 end time 19-May-10 15:35:46 EDT)

-GT
Old 05-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks GT! Will check that out when I get home...ebay blocked at work.
Monsoon 6-disc/XM/BT
Black Leather
Polished Aluminum
Trunk closeouts
Old 05-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (13)
our mirrors are short...does anyone have a longer mirror from a car that has the same features...not looking for auto dimmer...just a longer mirror with the regular features that came with the car.
marlboromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
GT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
our mirrors are short...does anyone have a longer mirror from a car that has the same features...not looking for auto dimmer...just a longer mirror with the regular features that came with the car.
What do you mean by longer? I can tell you that the mirror from the Monte Carlo was exactly the same size as the factory one in the Sky.

-GT
Old 05-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (7)
on my possible list

I may have to do this at some point - I have noticed that when driving at night with the top down and the mirror tipped into the dim position as I pass under overhead lights the angle of the mirror catches the overheard light which is kind of annoying.
HID low beam & fogs
3" Magnaflow
DDM Works - Charge Tubes,Cross Bay Brace,Tunnel Brace,Center Console,Fender Trim,Sway bars,Drilled Rotors,Hawk pads
MCW Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion