Saturn Sky Forum banner

Burnt Blower Motor Wiring Harness

14K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  christopher_2 
#1 ·
The blower motor wiring harness connector has burned up again on my 2007 Redline, thus no fan for Heat or A/C. The first time it burned up I was able to scrape the melted plastic (from the burnt connector housing) off of the metal spade/lug that makes the connection. Now it's toast and according to GM this replacement wiring harness is no longer available:

DESCRIPTION: HARNESS
GM PART # 25797383
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $27.31
OUR PRICE: $16.19

Does anyone know where a replacement can be purchased?

#2 ·
Maybe ICS or have one made.
The big ? is why is it burning up in the 1st place?
Fan motor drag.maybe.
? #2 the fuse should have went out 1st.
LLLFLY

#4 ·
This is a good ?.
See what size should be there. Even so to get that hot to melt it down.
As you may know there is a very big load on this some were. It will be in the book.
Under fan controls also under blower fan motor.
It should be under the fuse box cover what belongs in there. Push down on all your fuses
to make sure they are all seated. There has been reports on this site also that some fuses are not all the way in there holders. This would make for a very HOT connection.
LLLFLY

#5 ·
My initial thought is the connector is made from sub-standard material... thin and brittle. I had also double checked to insure the fuse was properly seated.

To my way of thinking the fact that GM/Saturn had to develop an SKU for a "replacement connector" is a clear indication that the problem was common and wide spread due to poor design and/or materials...

#7 ·
I would definately try and diagnose what the cause of the thermal problem is first. The connector is a very unlikely source of an issue. And if you do fix the connector as the failure point, without fixing the underlying over current problem first, the end result is the next weakest component in the system will fail next. And it might be the wiring where it is in contact with material that will ignite and bingo you have a fire.

Put a smaller fuse in and see if you can get it to blow. Take a look at the blower motor and put an ameter on it to see what current draw it is demanding. If the motor is out of spec then you have a place to start.

The wiring harness may not be available through GM new but there are many sources for recycled parts that will get you the harness for about half what a new part would cost. If you dont know of any, get friendly with your local body shop, they can source them online and give you price and availablity information in real time.

#8 ·
The blower motor wiring harness connector has burned up again on my 2007 Redline, thus no fan for Heat or A/C. The first time it burned up I was able to scrape the melted plastic (from the burnt connector housing) off of the metal spade/lug that makes the connection. Now it's toast and according to GM this replacement wiring harness is no longer available:

From experience if the connector burns up – that is your problem, there is some extra resistance from the bad connections which causes a voltage drop over the bad contact area, which heats up. If the connection was bad at the fuse box – it should heat up and turn brown also.

The cheapest and best fix would be to replace all of the burnt wires with thicker wires – I would take out the connector and solder the wires directly – make sure to use heat shrink to protect the connections and maybe even some electrical tape over top...

#20 ·
Its up underneath the glove box. You can get to it by removing the panel below the glove box. Some also like to remove the glove box to gain more room. There are some pictures over in the Solstice forum.

#22 ·
FYI: In addition to the harness p/n being 25949869, sometimes the parts department doesn't want to hear what partnumber it is, they want to search by vehicle. If Sky or Solstice doesn't get you anywhere, you can also search for 2006-2010 Hummer H3.

Attachments

#23 ·
i have seen this happen with many vehicles GMs especially. When i have a technician recommends a new blower motor resistor, i usually order a "pig tail" also and if i don't need it, i can return it... i wouldn't worry too much about why it happened, just fix it and called it a day

#24 · (Edited)
This is a known safety issue and fire risk. EVERYONE who's had this issue should report it to the NHTSA. Just like the cases that happened with the passenger airbag sensors.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Robotech has info on this and can comment further. A new thread should be started on this since there is talk about petitioning for a recall like what happened with the passenger airbag sensor. I suggest RT put one up.

This safety issue had a recall with the hummer. Kappa uses the same parts with the same problems but no recall was initiated. More info here. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Don't try to fix the issue with the same hummer parts are part #'s. The same safety risk and fire risk issue will remain.

Some recent posts discussing it (link and posts below it). http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...resence-sensor-73441/index21.html#post1155274

#25 ·
Mine's already blown up twice. Second time it took a chunk of the harness and resistor connector with it. I ordered a new blower motor after the second one blew up and have had no issues since. The fan section of the blower motor was a different color than my original one. Not sure if that represents a design change in function or just materials.

I think it's the blower motor itself overdrawing power and not the resistor/connector/harness but I could be wrong.

#27 ·
I was trying to order another harness, it looks like the part number changed again 84014104. Also this part was used on a Equinox it looks like.

#28 · (Edited)
I'm fixing the same problem today.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I'd ordered the harness and resistor last fall after I put the car away for winter. However, what I have (and used) is a Dorman pigtail, not the OEM harness. I had to cut the burned connector off and solder (it came with crimp connectors) the wires together.

Rock Auto lists the GM OEM harness and the Dorman pig tail under that number:

The harness is out of stock. I'm don't know if this is temporary and it's available elsewhere, or if they are discontinued.

Really a pisser that GM recalled the H3 for this, but left Kappa owners with a fire risk and no notification at all.

#29 ·
Did you try looking up what appears to be a new part number I listed above 84014104 ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.