Convertible won't unlock from trunk - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Convertible won't unlock from trunk

I am a widow who owns a 2009 Sky. I went to pop the trunk and the driver's top won't unlock. And, I can't force the trunk to close so I get a continual beeping sound when I drive. Can I fix this myself? It is housed in my garage. Will heat help? We had snow today.
thanks,
njqt2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Is it binding with the trunk? Push down on the truck while pressing your trunk relese on your key fob.

Last edited by jburbs22; 01-31-2017 at 01:39 AM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Garage
This really is a good read on the subject:

Trunk / Buttress opening problems info

From that post:

Quote:
There is a cable that is Y shaped that goes from an actuator (electromechanical device that pulls on the cable) to each of the buttress locking wires. The Y cable moves each of the buttress locking wires to the inside of the car and releases the buttress locks. There are springs in each of the buttresses that cause them to pop up and rotate forward to the retracted position. If one of the buttresses does not pop up but the other does, that is a good sign that the end of the Y cable that releases the buttress locks has failed. This can be repaired in one of two ways. First, by replacing the Y cable, and second by repairing the end of the Y cable that has failed. The end of the cable have plastic fittings that over time can fail. This plastic fitting can be replaced with a crimped fishing weight. There is an earlier post in this thread that describes this repair. Its pretty simple and easy to do.
Also from that thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Everyone should carry this tool in their glove compartment...it releases your buttress..do not pay this price because it sells for about 10 dollars on other sites...all u do is slip it into the buttress hole and push...SOUND FAMILIAR Your job is to push in the proper direction...the buttress now releases.

KENT MOORE J-42214 HEADREST REMOVAL TOOL J CAR: eBay Motors (item 280550647093 end time Sep-17-10 08:51:47 PDT)

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Last edited by Robotech; 01-31-2017 at 02:42 PM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

buttress still stuck

I'm hating my Sky at the present time. The FOBs have not worked since the recall and installation of the new ignition part.

I went to the GM dealer and the head mechanic said that they didn't have the part to pop the buttress. I almost cried. He told me "good luck" because there are no Pontiac dealers around anymore either.

I have tried to pull-on the cable I can locate behind the driver's seat while pushing on the release button in the glove box. No success!

Unfortunately, I cannot reach down into latch area with my finger to release the buttress & press the FOB.

Any other suggestions? I've had non-perishable items in the trunk which I would love to get out!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
There may be a forum member near you who could help. What part of the country are you in?

John
Lexington, KY
VIN 00252 2.4 Manual Midnight Blue
2008 Redline Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Hi Kentucky John. Thank you for getting with me. It is hard to be a widow of a United States Marine. We don't ask for help so I appreciate you touching base. I live in Northern Virginia about 30 miles west of DC.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Hi Kentucky John. Thank you for getting with me. It is hard to be a widow of a United States Marine. We don't ask for help so I appreciate you touching base. I live in Northern Virginia about 30 miles west of DC.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage
My local Lame @$$ Chevy dealer could not program my key fobs either.

So I bought a spare fob and programmer from Amazon
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$50 and I have 3 fobs that all work.
tompass likes this.

LUSIFER

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
A frustrating experience. Try a different GM dealer.

From reading the posts, sounds like a fix may be needed. Wish I was closer and could help. Terminology hampers my perceiving exactly what you are experiencing, but it sounds like the top 'buttress' (if that is the correct term) on the left side is not releasing. That makes me think a release might only allow a temporary fix .... with a permanent fix still needed. The response from your dealer service person is unacceptable. That would put me in the dealers office.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Read this thread form our sister forum, then look at the tool shown in post #10 . You should be able to find something similar at a home improvement store for a reasonable price (I did).

07 Sky
2.4L NA
5 speed
Limited slip differential
Chrome wheels
Premium trim package
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I would thing that going to any local shop and have them do a search on google for "stuck buttress on satrun sky" would fix this problem in no time. Once the buttress is loose and the lid is up pull the liner down and look and see if the plastic retainer is broken on the release cable. A quick fix is to take a lead round fishing weight and crimp it to the end of the cable.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Garage
Hoosier, are those plastic pieces the same as the ones for the tulip panel flaps?

Also, find another dealer if you can. Around the DC area there should be some. GMC/Buick dealers are the best since many used to be Pontiac too. Some dealers are designated Saturn Service Centers too (my GMC/Buick dealership is one such dealer) so you may want to contact GM and see what dealership near you is a certified Saturn or Pontiac Service Center.

Hopefully someone from your area will see this and be able to help you.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:22 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Hoosier, are those plastic pieces the same as the ones for the tulip panel flaps?
No, they are completely different. The plastic pieces are actually molded cable ends that catch on a metal loop on the end of the latch rod? wire? whatever you want to call that piece od metal that holds the buttress down. The plastic ends break and then the cable will pull through the loop and not open the buttress.

I'll see if I can find a picture somewhere, but I'm not holding my breath, . . . so many threads about this . . .

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:50 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Found them over on kappaperformance forum:

The orange plastic collar is what breaks, and then the cable can pull through the loop.

A fishing sinker for the win. Otherwise you have to replace the entire cable which was/is about $90 - $100.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b pick 001.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	88834   Click image for larger version

Name:	b pick 002.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	88842  

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
Found them over on kappaperformance forum:

The orange plastic collar is what breaks, and then the cable can pull through the loop.

A fishing sinker for the win. Otherwise you have to replace the entire cable which was/is about $90 - $100.

Actually the plastic pieces can be replaced they are split to allow them to slide over the cable so no need to buy the complete cable but the fishing weight will last a lot longer and is a lot cheaper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.