DIC automatic control - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Norway/Europe
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DIC automatic control

I have an Opel GT 2007. In most of Europe it is now prohibited to drive with the headlights on. All cars sold new in Norway, where I live, are therefore set up with headlights ON as default. You can actually not turn the light completely OFF while the engine is running.

Some months ago a problem with the automatic sensor, diming the DIC and the stereo occurred. First it started when driving through tunnels – DIC and stereo dimmed down as normal when I entered tunnels, but after exiting the tunnel it took 20 seconds or so before it turned back to normal mode. Now it has gradually become worse – lights in DIC and stereo don’t turn to normal at all, not even in bright daylight. Today, I tested the sensor by putting my iPhone in flashlight mode and lay it upon the sensor. Then it worked like it should, but it dimmed down immediately after I removed the iPhone.

This problem is really a pain in my ***, because I also have the “overheating problem”. So while driving in daylight I really need to keep an eye on the temperature.

Any suggestions?
peter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Senior Member
 
lllfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 2,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
left of your steering wheel there is a brightness control knob.
on the over heating air in the system .
use the search tons of info .
Norway beautiful country .
welcome to the fourm .
LLLFLY

08 PW R/L 5-spd,The Wolf
Goodyear Blimp flight 2010 NASSM
Best of Show Old Bridge,NJ 2011
Best Interior 2012 NASSM
2nd American Legends 2013
DDMWORKS Loaded, Wind Restrictor
lllfly is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 07:44 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
marlboromike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bonita Springs, Florida
Posts: 15,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
by chance..the sensor could be dirty.
marlboromike is offline  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Senior Member
 
rufusmacblorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllfly View Post
left of your steering wheel there is a brightness control knob.
on the over heating air in the system .
use the search tons of info .
Norway beautiful country .
welcome to the fourm .
LLLFLY
Is that a haiku?

07 silver graphite RL
Magnaflow exhaust
Backbone brace
ProBeam
Upgraded JL/Alpine sound system
Windscreen
rufusmacblorf is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Senior Member
 
lllfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 2,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
No this is not a poem .lol
LLLFLY

08 PW R/L 5-spd,The Wolf
Goodyear Blimp flight 2010 NASSM
Best of Show Old Bridge,NJ 2011
Best Interior 2012 NASSM
2nd American Legends 2013
DDMWORKS Loaded, Wind Restrictor
lllfly is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Senior Member
 
TomatoSoup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 3,048
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
Some months ago a problem with the automatic sensor, diming the DIC and the stereo occurred. First it started when driving through tunnels – DIC and stereo dimmed down as normal when I entered tunnels, but after exiting the tunnel it took 20 seconds or so before it turned back to normal mode. Now it has gradually become worse – lights in DIC and stereo don’t turn to normal at all, not even in bright daylight.

This problem is really a pain in my ***, because I also have the “overheating problem”. So while driving in daylight I really need to keep an eye on the temperature.

Any suggestions?
Certainly sounds like your light sensor is flaking out. Obviously you can replace it. Or you can bypass it with a low-ohm resistor to make it think it's bright and sunny all the time - but then you'd have to switch the 'brighter' (non-DRL) headlights on manually at night.

As for your overheating problems this could be one of two things depending on the symptoms. If it overheats at any time (even driving along the highway) then it's probably air in the system (or possibly a failed thermostat). If it only happens when stopped in traffic or driving slowly, then check that your radiator fan is operational.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
TomatoSoup is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Senior Member
 
GASNGO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eastern CT
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
light sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Certainly sounds like your light sensor is flaking out. Obviously you can replace it. Or you can bypass it with a low-ohm resistor to make it think it's bright and sunny all the time - but then you'd have to switch the 'brighter' (non-DRL) headlights on manually at night.

As for your overheating problems this could be one of two things depending on the symptoms. If it overheats at any time (even driving along the highway) then it's probably air in the system (or possibly a failed thermostat). If it only happens when stopped in traffic or driving slowly, then check that your radiator fan is operational.
Where in the light sensor circuit would the resistor be placed?
What ohm resistor should be used?
Thanks, Jerry
GASNGO is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Administrator
 
Bogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 5,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know the sensitivity of the sensor as a function of light intensity and angle? I've noticed the sensor seems to be less sensitive (proportionally) when the sun/light is at an angle. It appears to be plenty of "light" to the human eye, but not for the sensor, due to the angle.

The DIC response will have a bigger degradation period as you go further North in the Winter. The OP lives in Norway and mentioned the problem "gradually got worse". Note the Sun's declination gradually got lower heading into Winter.

Solstice owners should be well acquainted with the extremes of this phenomenon.

2008 Redline Auto
Born 7/20/07
Snagged 8/31/07
Released 8/8/15
Bogie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome