Driver Door Window Kaput.. - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Its probably easier replacing the entire window regulator. Had I known you were going to buy just the motor, I would have advised against it. Like I told you when I PMed you, I built thousands of Sky/Solstice doors. I'd be glad to help over the phone or email with your repair.
Thanks bob for all you have done and shared with me. It is appreciated for sure.. still haven't decided if I will attempt the repair myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Stage 1 View Post
I agree with Bob: Probably best to order an entire window regulator assembly. Then keep the old regulator for future parts.
Well I also agree with bob and just might take him up on his offer for help and guidance, still thinking about it, I would need to find out the part number, I have it as 15629419-8 for the drivers side. (gmpartsdirect didn't recognize the part#, manual I have says it's list price was $248.24).

I called my dealer yesterday to find out how much it would cost to have them do the repairs. I also inquired about how much it would cost to do the passenger window and to look at the chime going off when I open the drivers door with the key removed. As for the costs involved in repairing the drivers window, he called the part a "regulator assembly", that part would cost $329.00 (I don't know if it comes with a new motor or not, didn't ask, nor did I ask him to confirm the part number above) + a discounted price on labor of $150.00. For the passenger window same part is $320.00 plus same labor of $150.00. As far as the chime issue, the price for the ignition switch replacement (IF that is what the problem is) is another $250.00 + labor which I didn't get that labor number. He also stated however that it might NOT be the ignition switch, (it could be a switch or an attenuator I think he called it) that also controls the lights. He said they can connect some kind of testing device and they can check it out that way. So if all above is done I'm looking at least $1199 not including labor if it's the ignition switch, and we do all of it at on one trip.

I suppose I could call him back and get those part numbers (I decided that I will), see if he will email me an estimate cost with the part numbers.. I guess it would have to come down on whether I think I have the talent to do this job myself. It looks a little complex IMO due to the a couple of issues, especially the front part of the assembly where the steel cable goes thru this red, rubber spindle attached to the bottom right of the front door (drivers side). That piece does not look easy to get to, you would need small hands and be able to work in the blind, by "feel' if you will. Also you have disconnecting the old cable from the window and reattaching the new one. And then of course any adjustments that would need to be done. (of course I could also ask bob for his help, which I would obviously would need if I attempt this IMO) That is a tempting offer BTW and a generous gesture on his part, thanks bob!!.

BTW, he (my service adviser) stated that they already have the parts in house..
So it's a matter of if I want to attempt this, the door chime I certainly know I can't handle it, and I have no way of testing like they do. But for the window assemblies, I just might be able try n to do.

Wife told me to get the costs involved, we now basically have that, just not that kind of money at the moment. Bottom line decision however is we ARE going to fix it, just don't know when at this moment, soon for sure one way or the other.. Not going to get rid of the car just because a few pesky things wore out, that's for sure..

Last edited by MidniteBlues; 02-28-2012 at 12:16 PM.
MidniteBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

With a little luck, there may not be much adjusting needed with replacing a regulator.

That being said: Before you take the old regulator out, be sure to mark where the mechanism sits in relation to the mounting points. Keep your eyes peeled for any slotted bolt holes. If the mounting hole is slotted, then that is an adjustable mounting point: Be extra careful to mark the position. Watch for any adjustable mounting point that would result in a change of widow tilt, both in and out, and from front to back. Window tilt is always the biggest pain in the butt to adjust. The up and down, and forward to back adjustments are usually no-brainers. But tilt takes some finesse.
GS Stage 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
It is sadly a fact of life that the same part can vairy greatly in cost. I have both a Sky and a Sol. I can get identical parts that will fit either car. If I buy them under a saturn part number it will generally be 2 times the price for the same part with a Solstice part number. I have even seen instances where things like the same water pump will be half again lower price if you order a Delco part vrs a Pontiac part. Same part, different number and inventory system.

As to the labor. Since you are working on a pretty standard door, call places that work on window glass. Call several local auto glass guys and see what they will charge to swap out a regulator. Pick out the one that has the best price quote and get them to do it in writing. Buy the part yourself. You can get them for about half what the dealer is charging from multiple sources. See below.

I would call one of the guys at source one and ask them if the coupe regulators they are selling for $70 each will fit in a roadster. From the pictures they look identical but they have door panels in house and could check or they could make a phone call or two and find out. If they are interchangeable you can get the parts for 2 times $70 plus shipping, then take them to the glass shop you like to get them installed. My experience is you can find a good independent who will do the work at about half the rates of a factory shop.

The ignition parts are

All
CYLINDER
$47.70
$47.70
$33.55
$0.00
$47.70

All
SWITCH
$23.00

I bought two brand new factory fresh regulators from here

2009 PONTIAC SOLSTICE COUPE RH POWER WINDOW REGULATOR 20793177 | eBay

where they still list them at $70 each.

The part number is for the coup but I believe if you check you will find they are identical for all models of kappa.

I actually found the roadster part on Amazon

Amazon.com: ACDelco 20793175 Front Side Window Regulator Assembly: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 20793175 Front Side Window Regulator Assembly: Automotive

though it is saying long shipping times

And I found it on GMpartsdirect

20793175 (right)
Front Door Window Regulator/Motor
REGULATOR
$164.65

Last edited by Rob the Elder; 02-28-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Rob the Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks for your post RTE, it is appreciated. UNFORTUNATELY, the SOLs coupe version is NOT compatible to our Sky's, according to Mike at source one, the SOLs doors for the coupe "are different" than ours, especially the auto windows versions. They also did NOT receive many to begin with when they purchased all of GM's kappa parts that they received, and he stated they didn't have what I needed.

IF they would of had, I would of purchased both sides, so I'm SOL..(no pun intended). So slowly, but surely I am being "pushed' towards my dealer to do the job. IF I would of been able to get the part(s), I was going to attempt the repair myself, since I believe I have enough talent to do it..

I called my adviser yesterday, left him a VM, he has not called me back...yet..I will however try and see if they are willing to negotiate on prices for ALL the work. BUT, when they know they have a potential customer over the barrel, I guess it'll depend on our relationship.. I do truly think though that the price they are asking for these parts IS out of bounds, then again they have what I need that nobody else seems NOT to have..stay tuned.. VALID part numbers is what I need, but yet it seems impossible to get good, valid part numbers, so frustrating...

This IS what is starting to happen with guys like me that needs a part or parts that are no longer being produced, at some point, I might just have to get rid of ALL of my GM's orphaned cars.. I have already kicked my beloved H2 to the side of the road in late 2009, (still miss that critter) that was smart decision..next is perhaps my beloved Sky, then the Pontiac G6 GT..

Do you think I'll buy another GM? And I was looking at a possible Caddy CTS-S purchase...donno, just don't know.. With the flaky parts support we are getting, doesn't seem possible that I have to rid get of a perfectly working car because my windows don't work..AND I get decently priced parts for a simple repair.. yea yea yea, I'm not a happy camper right now... I'm sure some members are happy that I'm screwed, however, think again, you too will eventually be in my boat, I however will still wish you well and will NOT kick you off my boat....

Last edited by MidniteBlues; 02-29-2012 at 02:38 PM.
MidniteBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

Well, seems RockAuto (.com) has 'em, both with and without motors. Part #'s below:

ACDELCO Part # 20793175 {#20897019, 25844384, 25928133} replaces 25928133
REGULATOR,Front Side Door WDO RIGHT HAND; w/ELEC SI WDO(A31) $211.79

ACDELCO Part # 20793173 More Information About this Part {#20897017, 25844386}
REGULATOR,Front Side Door WDO RIGHT HAND; w/o ELEC SI WDO(A31) $173.79

ACDELCO Part # 20793172 {#20897016, 25844385} replaces 25844385
REGULATOR,Front Side Door WDO LEFT HAND; w/o ELEC SI WDO(A31) $173.79

ACDELCO Part # 25798113 More Information About this Part
REGULATOR,Front Side Door WDO LEFT HAND; w/ELEC SI WDO(A31) $217.89

If you Google "window regulator <part#>" you'll find other sources/prices too.

(By the way, according to Nalley Buick's site, part numbers ACDelco #20793176 and ACDelco #20793177 are the LH and RH parts respectively for the coupe (2009-2010).)
Old 02-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #21 (permalink)

Good suggestion TS as always.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Well, seems RockAuto (.com) has 'em, both with and without motors. Part #'s below:

ACDELCO Part # 20793175 {#20897019, 25844384, 25928133} replaces 25928133
REGULATOR,Front Side Door WDO RIGHT HAND; w/ELEC SI WDO(A31) $211.79

ACDELCO Part # 20793173 More Information About this Part {#20897017, 25844386}
REGULATOR,Front Side Door WDO RIGHT HAND; w/o ELEC SI WDO(A31) $173.79

ACDELCO Part # 20793172 {#20897016, 25844385} replaces 25844385
REGULATOR,Front Side Door WDO LEFT HAND; w/o ELEC SI WDO(A31) $173.79

ACDELCO Part # 25798113 More Information About this Part
REGULATOR,Front Side Door WDO LEFT HAND; w/ELEC SI WDO(A31) $217.89

If you Google "window regulator <part#>" you'll find other sources/prices too.

(By the way, according to Nalley Buick's site, part numbers ACDelco #20793176 and ACDelco #20793177 are the LH and RH parts respectively for the coupe (2009-2010).)
Are those for our Sky's? I need specific numbers pertaining to our Sky's ONLY not the SoL nor the coupe..
Old 02-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
Are those for our Sky's? I need specific numbers pertaining to our Sky's ONLY not the SoL nor the coupe..
Yes. Sky & Sol verts are the same. Go to RockAuto yourself and look it up. Plug in your car and then expand "Body-Interior"->"Window Regulator"
Old 03-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Yes. Sky & Sol verts are the same. Go to RockAuto yourself and look it up. Plug in your car and then expand "Body-Interior"->"Window Regulator"
Roger and thanks TS!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #25 (permalink)

Update!!

Well I finally took my Sky in for some very much needed repairs and maintenance..
I had about 1K to play with so I unfortunately had to pick and choose what to repair for this date at my dealer. I am very truly grateful to my service adviser at this dealer and am even more grateful that this dealer still has 3 trained Sky (Saturn) techs available.. AND I will add, they did a GREAT job, expensive, but great!!.. So with the limited resources I had I had maintenance issues to also consider. So I could not make all the repairs needed. I had to prioritize what gets done yesterday, Saturday.

The problems I currently have, (now had) are the following items. BOTH my window regulators are non-functional (windows can't open/close), when opening drivers door with the key removed the "warning ding" that the key is still inserted dings like the key is still inserted when it is not. I also have the drivers door flap cable connected to the flap for the top to go up/down is broken. As you all know there is cable on which the end is "L" shaped, then a plastic piece is attached/used and then inserted into the flap so it opens automatically when putting top up/down. And I also had to do a tranny/diff maintenance done. Currently ODO read 60,250.

I had the drivers door regulator fixed, flushed the tranny, differential maintenance done (flush & oils replaced), found out that I need a ignition switch and housing replaced for the "dinging" because of a pushed in/crushed pin, (that has been postponed for the moment) due to lack of funds, and the passenger regulator also not done yesterday. The tech found the drivers door handle barely hanging on, that was replaced while the tech was in there before the wife ends up with the handle in her hand, n/c for labor but the part (ouch), you don't wanna know what that cost.. So results? the normal car "noises" have disappeared with the tranny/rear end maintenance done, (tech said the oils were pretty much black) I'm hoping that mileage increases afterwards, we'll see. I have the defective parts in the car, pictures to follow and I'll try and answer any questions ya'll might have laters.. Opps work just called, I'll be back later guys.. Oh one more thing, thankfully I had a 20% discount coupon for the dealer that help save a few bucks.. I'm waiting for the next coupon (and more dollars) to finally try and fix the rest of what is needed).. BTW, this does NOT include a new paint job and some "body" work that needs to be done.. whew....I'm exhausted with all of this..
Old 02-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (13)
Glad to hear it is still ticking Frank...here is a special...laughing of course, MAACO 200 dollar paint job.
marlboromike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
A14

Just curious about the keychain you guys use. More specifically how large/heavy it is. A heavy keychain can wear out ignition parts quickly. Typically only women have heavy enough keychain with all the stuff they out on so they can find it in their purse, but I know sometimes guys are key collectors.
A14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A14 View Post
Just curious about the keychain you guys use. More specifically how large/heavy it is. A heavy keychain can wear out ignition parts quickly. Typically only women have heavy enough keychain with all the stuff they out on so they can find it in their purse, but I know sometimes guys are key collectors.
Yea I know, my daughter had a TON of crap on her G6 GT key ring, when one day the car wouldn't start I had her remove everything but what came with it, I only have the ring, key, and the FOB, so it wasn't a key thing I don't believe & at first the problem was intermitten.. In fact to me it looks like some of the failures I am having are rare occurrences, but then again, my sky has been in the elements since it was born, add to that that it is a working Sky things wear out... Over all tho I am extremely happy with my NA..
Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #29 (permalink)

Another Update

Attached are pictures of my window regulator that has "unraveled' sorta speak..
I am surprised also that no one asked how much it cost to have this item replaced repaired at the dealer.. Thats alright, one day somebody alse windows wires will unravel..

Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #30 (permalink)

I bought a dozen spare tulip panel clips and a pair of spare cables a couple of years ago. There is a thread that has the part numbers. They were less than 50 cents each.
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion