Saturn Sky Forum banner

Eliminating the Amp for the Monsoon System

22K views 113 replies 19 participants last post by  MARVIC 1 
#1 ·
I want to the disable the wire that leads to the amp in the monsoon system...I want confirmation that it is the Pink wire that runs from the radio to the back of the drivers seat where the amp is located...I believe I have the correct schematic...but what I do not have is the correct plug behind the radio,,,does someone have this info?

#4 ·
MM, if you disable the Monsoon amp you won't have ANY sound. All the signals from the radio go thru the amp to drive the speakers. Amp off = no speakers.

You'll need to physically rewire the inputs to the amp to connect them directly to the speakers (amp outputs) to have the radio's internal amp drive them. But the downside is that you'd lose your subwoofer as there's no sub driver in the radio.

Not really a viable solution, I'm sorry.

#5 ·
Thanks for the answer...although it is not what I wanted to hear...As you realize I have the cobalt radio installed...the only reason is because of the silver faceplate....it matches the silver pearl exterior and goes well with the interior....if I remove the cobalt radio...and reinstall the SKY USB radio, it will lose a certain appearance factor,,,I cannot remove the silver faceplate from the cobalt radio, because the USB cut out is in the opposite corner than the SKYS...I believe there is a malibu faceplate in silver with the USB cut out on the identical side of the sky...I have been doing my due diligence but to no avail...I shall perservere...Thank you TS

#11 ·
Not quite, the radio outputs are balanced, so this wouldn't work. HOWEVER, you could splice in something like an PAC SOEM-T, which is a transformer-based line level adjusting device (there are many other makers who have similar devices). The SOEM-T is only 2-channel, so you'd need 2 of them. Or I think PAC does a 4-channel one, maybe.

Involves cutting the harness into the Amp and splicing it/them in though.

#13 · (Edited)
MM, the other option would be to do as I did with my Saturn USB radio, and move the USB out back and swap the faceplates with a non-USB one (up for it Vic?). Then you can paint the new faceplate any color you like (not such a big job to pull all the buttons etc to leave and easy-to-paint faceplate).

You've probably seen these before, but here in one place...

Swapping my Saturn radio faceplate (move the USB):
Migrated my (old) Solstice Radio faceplate to my (new) Sky USB radio! - Pontiac Solstice Forum

Tearing apart the faceplate for painting (not mine):
I need a dash removal DIY [project now finished - painted dash] - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

Removing the display 'lens' for painting:
Migrated my (old) Solstice Radio faceplate to my (new) Sky USB radio! - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

OR (of course) you could use the latter two links to dismantle your Saturn radio faceplate and just paint it instead.

#15 ·
I'm in the process of replacing my radio with a 7" touchscreen carputer powered with a linux or android based OS. Eventually Ill have the ability to play movies music games, whatever I want. (Not while driving of course) and Ill have wifi enabled so I can update files and whatnot from my desktop or download files directly from my car.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#16 ·
TS...I not going to take my 2 USB radios and open them up...juxtapose those USB mother boards. Do u know how much sweat that would be...Oh Yes! You have done it :lol:...All this because the chimes are too loud. GEESH!

Let me put a feeler out,,,does anyone have the model number for the malibu USB radio...this has the USB faceplate on the same side of the SKYS USB radio...

#21 ·
Not sure if you're still looking for this, but I think it's the info you wanted.

Attachments

#30 ·
One additional thought as a result of living with my G6 USB radio for a few weeks.

While the sound is much richer, the volume setting does not go as "low" as the stock radio. What I am referring to is the lowest volume setting is higher in the G6 radio. Which means that when my wife is talking I need to turn the radio off when she really wants to be heard.

I still like the radio but in the interest of full disclosure . . . .:willy:

#34 ·
You guys eat out to much.

All these quotes are from the fortune cookies. lol

LLLFLY

#36 ·
I went into a chevy dealership in West Palm Beach yesterday...spoke to 2 techs who were very knowledeable regarding the Tech 2...in 2009 GM updated their software...when u plug in the tech 2 now...it reads everything about your car and u cannot change the VIN number...so, in the end you have to live with the loud chimes...

#37 ·
Sorry to hear that
Can't say you didn't try.
LLLFLY

Have a great time.
Goin to the T at 0530.

#42 · (Edited)
Found some info on the MDI... This is from JANUARY 2007!

Re: Tech II vs MDI
January 2007
For the past two years, dealers have been encouraged to support the Multiple PC Initiative (MPI), which calls for having one PC for each two technicians. A special thanks to all the dealers who have made the necessary investment; the results are very impressive.

edit- I like this part- For YEARS the computers and network I had running in my HOUSE was more advanced than what my dealership had to run it's multi-million dollar business! 2007 and they're just talking about getting computers? I had my laptop sitting on my toolbox 10 years earlier, and desktops probably 10 years before that. (gmt)

Because dealers have taken that important first step, Service Operations can now take the next step -- to provide low-cost programming capability at each of those PCs. An added bonus is that diagnostics will soon be available at each PC as well.

There has been speculation for years about the “Tech 2 replacement.” Plain and simple, the Tech 2 is not being replaced in the near future, but there is a new piece of equipment coming out to work alongside the Tech 2. The new equipment takes advantage of all those new PCs installed in the service bays under the Multiple PC Initiative, and it is important news.

The GM Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) EL-47955 is being shipped to NAO dealers during the second quarter of 2007, one per dealer (fig. 1).

TIP: Additional tools can be ordered by calling 1.800.GMTools, using prompts 1 or 4.

What is the GM MDI?

The GM MDI is a compact communication module that manages the transfer of data between a vehicle’s onboard ECU network and a PC.

The EL-47955 MDI is a kit of components

A GM MDI

B J1962 Diagnostic connector

C USB cable

D Ethernet cable

E AC adapter/power supply

Wireless interface

AAA batteries

Owner manual

Operating software for the MDI will be downloaded from the TS2WEB website.

The GM MDI allows the user to perform Pass-Thru programming procedures using software running on a laptop or desktop PC.

TIP: Any PC can be used, so long as it meets the PC Hardware Specification located at this link:
http://www.gmde.net/standards.cfm
(in Canada, review GM Dealer Infrastructure Standards located on the GM infoNET).

Benefits of the GM MDI
Today, the dealer cost to equip a technician to diagnose and reprogram vehicles is $2880 USD (Tech 2 and CANdi). When software coverage on the GM MDI is fully operational, all diagnostic and reprogramming for GM vehicles globally will be supported with this one piece of hardware at a dealer cost of less than $800.00 USD.

The GM MDI offers faster programming speed at a lower cost. Depending on vehicle architecture (protocols/modules), the GM MDI can be 20-70% faster than the Tech 2. This helps alleviate vehicle battery drain problems during programming.

Using the GM MDI for programming also frees up your Tech 2 for diagnostics and other tasks.

No additional PCs are needed. PCs that have been installed under the Multiple PC Initiative (MPI) meet the PC Hardware Specification when using the GM MDI.

What Protocols does the GM MDI Support?
For immediate use -- At present, vehicles have two buses on the 16 pin connector (high speed and low speed GMLAN). The GM MDI communicates using all of the existing GM protocols, the same as the Tech 2:

- UART

- Class 2

- KWP2000

- GMLAN (CAN)

For future use -- Global architecture coming in July 2008 for MY 2009 will use a total of 4 GMLAN links. (This is a limited rollout in MY 2009.) Global architecture adds a medium speed bus and an expansion bus. The Tech 2 and CANdi module can run only low and high speed, and won’t work on the 4 GMLAN link system for diagnostics or programming. The MDI will have this capability.

How is the GM MDI Connected?

The GM MDI will be connected between the vehicle and the PC using the DLC and cable.

Connection between the GM MDI and the PC can be accomplished several ways.

- using the supplied cable to connect the mini USB port on the GM MDI and the USB port on the PC

- using a standard CAT5 cable to connect the Ethernet port on the GM MDI and the Ethernet port on the PC

- using the WLAN card built into the GM MDI to communicate with the PC through the dealership’s wireless network

MDI connections -- bottom

A Trigger switch connector

B Vehicle Interface connector

C Power connector (AC adapter)

MDI connections -- top

A Mini USB connector

B Ethernet connector

The GM MDI is powered through the DLC when connected to the vehicle. In addition, it has 4 AAA batteries for backup. The unit can also be powered using the provided AC adapter plugged into any 120V AC electrical outlet.

Detachable port covers protect these connectors:

- Mini USB

- Ethernet

- Trigger switch

- Power

What are the Features, Controls and Indicators of the GM MDI?

The GM MDI has an easy to grip, comfortable, rugged enclosure. Rubber end covers offer extra shock resistance.

MDI controls

A On/off switch

B Status LEDs

C Vehicle Interface cable

A row of LEDs is located adjacent to the on/off power button to provide information about status and operation.

How Will the GM MDI be Used?

The GM MDI is initially being introduced with Pass-Thru programming capabilities only. It can be used to perform Pass-Thru programming on all vehicles built since 1993 and will support all vehicles into the future.

The GM MDI will be required to perform diagnostics on selected NAO vehicles for model year 2009. Diagnostic software is scheduled to be released for the GM MDI during the fourth quarter of 2008.

When diagnostics are introduced, the MDI will also get a remote data record capability. This permits recording data during a road test, similar to the Tech 2 Snap Shot function. A trigger switch connector is provided for this purpose.

Regulations require programming procedures to be compliant with SAE Recommended Practice J2534. The GM SPS is compliant with SAE Recommended Practice J2534, and the GM MDI is compliant with the portions of SAE J2534 that are applicable for GM vehicles.

The Future of the Tech 2

The Tech 2 remains an essential tool through at least the 2010 model year. The GM MDI will not support past models when its diagnostic capabilities are introduced. And, the Tech 2 will continue to be needed to diagnose all vehicles from previous model years.

Remote programming with the Tech 2 will continue to be supported for use on all 2007 and previous vehicles.

Additional information will be supplied in future TechLink articles and dealer communications.

- Thanks to Mark Stesney

REMOTE vs. PASS-THRU PROGRAMMING

Until now, you have been able to choose between two methods when programming a vehicle: Remote and Pass-Thru.

Briefly, in the Remote method, you connect the Tech 2 (and CANdi module if necessary) to the vehicle to obtain necessary information. Then, you disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle and connect it to the TechLine terminal to download the necessary programming into the Tech 2. Finally, you connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle a second time, to download the programming to the vehicle.

In the Pass-Thru method, the Tech 2 remains connected to the vehicle and to the TechLine terminal for the entire process. The TechLine terminal passes the programming through the Tech 2 into the vehicle.

Beginning with the 2008 model year vehicles, Pass-Thru will be the only programming method available. (Remote will continue to be available for previous vehicles.)

The new GM MDI can be used only in the Pass-Thru method. This means you can use it as your programming tool, while your Tech 2/CANdi remains available for diagnostics and other duties.

#50 ·
A smart person or tech would realize that sure, 99% of forum stuff is wrong or just plain stupid, but that other 1% is factual information that you DO NOT KNOW.

I ALWAYS listen to customers that come in and say "I read this on a forum about the problem I'm having with my car ". LOTS of times they already have the solution to the problem and it means you can fix the car without even having to think.

You can either be a hater and shut down information like that from customers, or you can listen and maybe learn something. Maybe that's why I'm so smart, because I know I don't know it all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.