Saturn Sky Forum banner

Fan shroud fin cutting into botton of rad hose 2.0L

6K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  Leppyxr2 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 · (Edited)
I had the same issue, but didn't want to cut the rad shroud. I tried slitting a piece of fuel hose to go over the fin, but it wouldn't stay in place, so I just used a long tie-wrap and cinched up the hose away from the shroud.

First photo shows where the issue is... see green arrow. Second show the hose cinched up with a tie-wrap around the airbox clip.

Attachments

#4 ·
I like this fix rather than cutting off a fin.
I checked my '08 Redline. Hose is not over the shroud. It's in mid air between the shroud and engine, so no problem. They must have found the problem and corrected it.

#8 ·
I like the tie-wrap too Soup – but in time, my guess is it may wear thru the hose?

#12 · (Edited)
Good to hear Bogie - I'd still cut the fin as the Hose may sag & touch over Time & with Temperature – just to be sure of good clearance.

Sideline – You see what these hoses cost??? :willy: I’m getting anywhere between $51.32 to $73.43 – for an upper radiator hose???? Whatever became of the $10 hose??? Then again, they do seem to last a long time (long as they’re not rubbing against anything) :banghead:

Also noticed on LLLfly’s link to our brothers & sisters on the Solstice Forum that it looks like it all depends on “How” the factory installed the hose – for its specifically labeled to have a “TOP UP” position / alignment… but instead, may have been installed incorrectly constituting a “sag” and the tendency to rest on the Shroud Fin???

From "typhoon" on the Solstice Forum:
I can see how it would cut it if the hose was installed by the hose markings at the factory. To fix this slightly squeeze the clamps at the ends of the hose. Twist it slightly clockwise at the engine and again at the radiator. You will see a line printed on the hose to the radiator where it should line up and you want it slightly to the right of this. This will cause the hose to float up and it will be impossible for the hose to touch the radiator shroud rib.
The factory must have known about this because my radiator hose was clocked slightly clockwise.

#13 ·
I checked mine (early '07) last night and was surprised that there was no problem at all. The hose runs parallel to, but slightly to the rear of the fan shroud. No detectable damage to the underside of the hose.
Luck of the draw? That's not usually my lot in life :skep:

#14 · (Edited)
Go back and check it again.
I missed it also.
LLLFLY

Time to put on the DDMWORKS hose.

I PM GM. Matt rec. PM today

#15 ·
How about that - there *is* a tiny divot in the hose just at the right point.
When I first checked it I thought it was a bit of grit, but it's an 'innie' not an 'outie'. Not really all that bad considering the 80k+ on the clock...
Thanks!

#16 · (Edited)
Replacing hose with DDMWorks black rad hose.
Also doing the same as TS tiring down the hose.
As 08BlueSky ,JohnRR and I are mod the fin.
pics coming soon.
LLLFLY

#17 ·
Mine (2009) has a mesh shield around the hose. I checked it and there was no wear at all. That part may well be available separately, would be cheap and would presumably solve this issue.

#18 ·
My 09 vin 00621 has no mesh or plastic tie
But no damage to hose

#19 · (Edited)
Mash was added late on the building of the car.
Not a order part.
GM knew about the rubbing said nothing now
We buy a hose $56.00 and up.
Not counting time for hood removing and mod.
3 man to take off hood to be safe and back on.
I am removing the hood due to hose clamp being
very hard to get at the rad.
Does anyone know if GM has a notice on this?
LLLFLY

Calling GM C/S on Monday. PM rec. PM GM
I will be back.

#21 ·
Not sure why you feel that you need to pull the hood, just to change the upper hose. I messed with mine today: Just loosened the the clamp and twisted the hose up; so it was no longer rubbing on the shroud. I could have easily pulled the hose off with no trouble at all. The only pain in the butt I see is purging the air back out of the coolant system, when you change the hose.

And when I checked with my local GM parts department, they could get a replacement hose for less than $30.

#24 ·
I twisted the hose up on the Wife's Sky yesterday. Both of our Skys now have the upper radiator hose hanging about two fingers above the fan shroud. And if you push down on the hose, it actually rotates back towards the engine and away from the shroud, to the point where it barely grazes the shroud. Given the amount of effort it takes to even get it close now, I really doubt it will be a continuing problem.

But installation of a protective sleeve would still probably be advisable.

#25 ·
GS stage 1 - if your gm parts folks can sell the hose for $30 - buy them out! My local gm said $73?????

#26 ·
That was the price for an 09 Solstice Coupe hose. I had him look that one up, because one of the 09 Coupe guys mentioned his has the protective sleeve on it. Could be the case of "same part with different part numbers costs different" that we have run into before when comparing the Solstice to the Sky.

#27 · (Edited)
#28 ·
This is a pretty simple issue.

If you have a problem with it. either fabricate a shield, rotate the hose a bit and retighten, or just grab a piece of adhesive backed black foam rubber weatherstripping that you use for stopping leaks in your house windows, cut a large piece, use a box cutter to make a half thickness slot for the offending rib, and then stick the piece on the underside of the hose. Any of the above will resolve the problem.

Recalls (seen on another thread)? Sue GM? What ever happened to personal resourcefulness. Don't waste time and energy bellyaching that someone else owes you a solution, get off the couch and do it yourself in less than 5 minutes so you can move on to the next 'crisis'.....

#29 ·
Well said WS:

And great idea with the sticky foam. I didn't think of that one. But that would be a really good way to protect the hose, while maintaining a certain amount of aesthetics because the foam would be on the bottom side and minimally visible from above. :thumbs:

#31 ·
Expect nothing from gM and you won't be disappointed.

Well said WS:

And great idea with the sticky foam. I didn't think of that one.
How long do you think sticky would stay adhered to that hot rubber hose? One drive?

LLLFLY please post the recall..
There IS no recall... and probably won't be one for this.

#30 · (Edited)
You fix is a great idea. After the new hose is installed.
I am going to place a 1 by 2 inch piece of velcro under the hose.
Yes the soft side .

#34 ·
WS,
This is the fix .
Also we are going to shave the fin.
And stop the movement like TS.
Goodnight hose.
LLLFLY

#35 ·
If any timorous souls are worried about the ability of the relatively soft weatherstripping rubber to withstand the rubbing, or worry about it falling out of place, another ready made product I've used extensively in the race cars (and street car fabrication) is Armaflex, a closed cell foam product extensively used in the plumbing/heating industry and readily available at home centres.

Personally I think it is overkill, but if you want it and if you don't mind it showing a bit, just take a short length (it comes as split tubing) and put it over the hose, then letting the hose down on the shroud again. It won't go anywhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.