Saturn Sky Forum banner

Fog lights not working!!!

11K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  williamstaxsherwood 
#1 ·
I know for a fact is not the bulbs (had these bulbs on the headlights) or the fuse (I checked it) or the relay (swapped the horn relay with the fog light one and horn still works but fogs won't come on).

I also noticed the green fog light indicator on the dash doesn't light up either when I hit the button and I remember even when I had hids there and one or both were out the dash indicator would still come on.

Any thoughts?

I guess it could be the actual fog light switch?

Any input would be appreciated!

BTW, I know it's been a while since my last post. Still have the Sky and with only 25K miles.

I'm about to finally have it paid off so almost mine at last. (Long story)

Regards,

BA...

See less See more
#4 ·
Sometimes for some reason I have to click my switch two or three times to get the fogs on. Other times it works just fine on the first click. Definently a potential fail.
JIC https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O91CQQW
Well thanks for that...

For under $13 is worth trying it even if it's just to rule it out.

The BCM, I imagine would be much more expensive!!!

BA

#3 ·
I would guess switch or wiring.

Since our switch is a momentary switch (you push it and it completes the ground then when you let go if it, the ground is incomplete again but that momentary signal goes to the BCM and tells it to turn on the fogs...I think) It could be the switch is bad or dirty.
@TomatoSoup may have a better answer than I since he's got a lot more electrical knowledge than I do. Oh TS!?

#6 ·
I would guess switch or wiring.

Since our switch is a momentary switch (you push it and it completes the ground then when you let go if it, the ground is incomplete again but that momentary signal goes to the BCM and tells it to turn on the fogs...I think) It could be the switch is bad or dirty.

@TomatoSoup may have a better answer than I since he's got a lot more electrical knowledge than I do. Oh TS!?
OK, well given that you've checked the relay and fog light fuse (though that was not mentioned), then the possibilities are:

1) Fog light switch
2) Fog light and relay (common) ground point
3) BCM (ugh!)

That fact that the LED on the switch doesn't come on points to either 1) or 3). As you said, the switch is cheap enough to eliminate it first, though it's also possible to take it apart (if you're handy) and check/fix it. My emergency flasher switch was broken from the factory and I took it apart and found a piece of plastic broken off inside - removing that allowed it to work again.

You could remove the switch, remove the wire from it, and then either ground it out or power it up (depending on how it works, TS will know this) and if the lights come on then you know it's the switch. If not, then it is something else.
Yep, good test. The switch works by grounding the wire from the BCM. The ground wire to the switch will be the Black wire and the BCM wire is "OG" (which I assume means Orange) on my schematic. Just short them together to test. If just the LED lights, then short the other wire (whatever color) to black :)

#9 ·
Wait a minute... The switch lights up fine, what doesn't light up is the actual dash indicator in the instrument panel where the gauges are when I hit the switch...

Any difference there???

BA

#14 ·
Switch wipers often get some high resistance corrosion on them when they aren't used much - as is normally true with fog light switches. Sometimes just flicking it a few times cleans the oxidation off, sometimes not. Don't know how easy it is to get at the contacts to clean them with some abrasive.

If you can't get a strip of abrasive in there, that will remedy it. If not (as is the case when seldom used electronics like volume controls in stereo gear) then there are sprays you can shoot in there that help, although the really effective freon based ones are no longer available for ecological reasons.

#24 ·
This got me thinking about my fog light switch. I use it once and a great while. Push in and hold in till the green indicator light on the switch itself comes on.
Lack of regular use of this switch, and some corrosive build up might be there on the contacts? So now that the green LED light is on, the fog lights are on, and here is what is different about the SKY and the Sol.

After looking at TS DIC on his and mine there is a difference. Mine has two indicators for the lights. One for the high beams at the top ( blue in color when in use), near turn signal indicators, and the other one is down low next to the Theft Lock indicator. On TS DIC in the Sol its shows something like low coolant Warning light which I do not have on the SKY's DIC not sure why? That does light up also, can't remember if its color is also green like the switch light or back lit amber/white?

In the owners manual on pg. 3-21 U.S. Base Instrumental Panel Cluster( Canada and Uplevel similar? RL or GXP?) it shows both in the DIC, not sure if this is different in other model year SKY's? On pg. 3-35 it shows the Fog Lamp light when in use. I don't do much driving at night these days, but when I do I use them. Fog oh nooo not that again. Once just recently I did use them for real foggy conditions around here but it was daytime, I think hard to tell in fog.

Test them often see if they really do work, how else would you know if they work if you don't try? The contacts can be cleaned, I'm not spraying anything in my interior, so that would mean removing it from the dash. If doing that why waste time, replace it now. Why spend money on a new switch if you don't have to? Yeah cost came in to mind here, but is it really a concern to you the owner, if you never use them in the first place? Electrical contact cleaner, emeroy cloth or even a plain old pencil eraser works well sometimes. Electrical short/fire under your dash, not something you want to experience first hand so
Popeil's pocket sized fire ext. for personal safety, just in case.

LAC

#25 ·
I had the same issue last night with a Sky I just purchased. Fog lights were working and all of a sudden they would not come on. I tested the fuse and relay first and then I took out the switch and tested it and it was not working. I blew some air in it and shook it and it started working again. I have a feeling it will fail again, so I ordered one from Amazon.

#27 ·
I know for a fact is not the bulbs (had these bulbs on the headlights) or the fuse (I checked it) or the relay (swapped the horn relay with the fog light one and horn still works but fogs won't come on).

I also noticed the green fog light indicator on the dash doesn't light up either when I hit the button and I remember even when I had hids there and one or both were out the dash indicator would still come on.

Any thoughts?

I guess it could be the actual fog light switch?

Any input would be appreciated!

BTW, I know it's been a while since my last post. Still have the Sky and with only 25K miles.

I'm about to finally have it paid off so almost mine at last. (Long story)

Regards,

BA...
you have to turn lights to manually on not on automatic before the fog lights will go on or the green indicator will come on..and the door can not be open when you do this.......and they wont go off untill you turn your key off and back on....piece of ****....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.