Help [ECM reflash for bad cat code?] - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum
 

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
SunburstSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 186
My Photos: (0)
Help [ECM reflash for bad cat code?]

What is a ECM Reflash? Need to explain it to techs. thanks

(the check engine light came on they cant figure out whats wrong I read a thread that a cat conv. went out on someone)
__________________
Sunburst Yellow
The Dream Continues ...
SunburstSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
ggccg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,547
My Photos: (0)
Send a message via AIM to ggccg
This is probably something you want to studiously avoid talking to Saturn techs about or they will attempt to blame all problems on the ECM tune (if I am reading your post correctly.)

If you haven't had your ECM retuned and are just inquiring about Saturn ECM updates, they should be well aware of any and apply them at no charge.

Last edited by ggccg; 12-20-2006 at 12:17 PM.
ggccg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
JohnD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,484
My Photos: (73)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunburstSky View Post
What is a ECM Reflash? Need to explain it to techs. thanks

(the check engine light came on they cant figure out whats wrong I read a thread that a cat conv. went out on someone)
An ECM Reflash is a resetting of the program in the computer that controls how your car runs. Some ECM Reflashes change the mix of air/fuel, or change safety cutoffs or other tricks to alter performance.

There is some confusion in that you can also do a "ECM Reset" which deletes temporary variables stored in the ECM where it keeps information that it "learns" about the current operating environment. The ECM does this itself over time to adjust to changing conditions. You can force it to happen either through a command to the ECM with a special diagnostic/programming device that your dealer might have, or you can do it the unsophistimicated way by simply disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes. This won't change the program, it will just erase what the computer has learned about the specific particulars of your car and its typical environment and force it to relearn and adapt. And, like I said, it does this normally by itself from time to time anyway.

If you are getting a fault light indicating a bad Catalytic Converter, I don't think an ECM Reflash is the answer to your problem - if that's what you are asking.
__________________
First:"BABY" Silver Pearl 9 May 06
Then:"SPIRIT" Black Onyx Red Line 25 Oct 06

Check out My Photos!
JohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
SunburstSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 186
My Photos: (0)
If you are getting a fault light indicating a bad Catalytic Converter, I don't think an ECM Reflash is the answer to your problem - if that's what you are asking.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's what I was trying to figure out.
__________________
Sunburst Yellow
The Dream Continues ...
SunburstSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
Rick Tinley Park's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SW Suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 4,876
My Photos: (11)
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Tinley Park
Reflashing or resetting the ECM is not going to solve a Cat converter problem. The codes are telling them what is wrong - they have to fix it.

I have been an Electronic Instrument Specialist for 20 years. Seems no one wants to believe the information the instruments supply.
When you blow a fuse - you are not fixing the problem by replacing the fuse. You replace/repair what caused the fuse to blow.
__________________
Rick Tinley Park

Delivered June 15, 2006
VIN - 3099
Sunburst Yellow
Painted Calipers
Brushed aluminum Interior panels
GM CAI
Yellow Engine cover and Fuse box
Custom Lighted Door Sills (WR)
Name - Sunni1
IL License # - YLO SKY 1
Rick Tinley Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
SunburstSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 186
My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Tinley Park View Post
Reflashing or resetting the ECM is not going to solve a Cat converter problem. The codes are telling them what is wrong - they have to fix it.

I have been an Electronic Instrument Specialist for 20 years. Seems no one wants to believe the information the instruments supply.
When you blow a fuse - you are not fixing the problem by replacing the fuse. You replace/repair what caused the fuse to blow.
I wish you where the tech working on this car! I just got a call that they will reset it and have me put on 100-600 miles to see if the light comes on again! Seems to me if the light is on there is a problem. Can a cat cov. going out do any harm on other engine parts? thanks you guys for all the help!
__________________
Sunburst Yellow
The Dream Continues ...
SunburstSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NNJ Essex Co.
Posts: 36
My Photos: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Sattech Send a message via Yahoo to Sattech
excellent comment bout the fuse rick... a fuse just does'nt blow, something caused that fuse to "pop" and a mil light that comes on is caused by a particular sensor or something else.. ok i'll stop rambling on its lunch time here.. sorry
Sattech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
JohnD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,484
My Photos: (73)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunburstSky View Post
I wish you where the tech working on this car! I just got a call that they will reset it and have me put on 100-600 miles to see if the light comes on again! Seems to me if the light is on there is a problem. Can a cat cov. going out do any harm on other engine parts? thanks you guys for all the help!
If the light goes on, there are two obvious causes...

1. The cat is bad, the sensor is good, and so it is reporting accurately that the cat is bad.
2. The cat is good, the sensor is bad, and so it is reporting erroneously that the cat is bad.

If it's case 1, then the problems are most likely to be emission related. Your car will stink or over-pollute. I would not expect your pistons to fall out. Even if they did, then they are covered by the 100,000 mile engine and powertrain warranty.

If it's case 2, then you have nothing at all to worry about mechanically. You have a sensor going off and giving you annoying bad advice, that's all.

So I think in either case you are okay in terms of not blowing up your engine, but of course you want to find out if the problem is the cat or the sensor and get it fixed so the annoying light goes away.
__________________
First:"BABY" Silver Pearl 9 May 06
Then:"SPIRIT" Black Onyx Red Line 25 Oct 06

Check out My Photos!
JohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
SunburstSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 186
My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdigiant View Post
If the light goes on, there are two obvious causes...

1. The cat is bad, the sensor is good, and so it is reporting accurately that the cat is bad.
2. The cat is good, the sensor is bad, and so it is reporting erroneously that the cat is bad.

If it's case 1, then the problems are most likely to be emission related. Your car will stink or over-pollute. I would not expect your pistons to fall out. Even if they did, then they are covered by the 100,000 mile engine and powertrain warranty.

If it's case 2, then you have nothing at all to worry about mechanically. You have a sensor going off and giving you annoying bad advice, that's all.

So I think in either case you are okay in terms of not blowing up your engine, but of course you want to find out if the problem is the cat or the sensor and get it fixed so the annoying light goes away.
Thank John that makes me feel a whole lot better. Wanna make sure the tail end of the line in the Socal runs is up to par
__________________
Sunburst Yellow
The Dream Continues ...
SunburstSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
MidniteBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,966
My Photos: (0)
I would let them know, "Hey dude, We have either a bad CAT or a bad sensor"--Take your pick, but replace one or the other--I suggest the CAT first--They seem to have shown failures more than (especially if it was sprayed with unburnt fuel)--sensors--So that would be my first choice--Resetting it will not fix the problem--trust me, if a problem exists--IT WILL come back--Replace "something" is my advice--At least for "fault isolation'- there have been a thread or 2 on this subject-
MidniteBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
JohnD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,484
My Photos: (73)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunburstSky View Post
Thank John that makes me feel a whole lot better. Wanna make sure the tail end of the line in the Socal runs is up to par
When I drive, I refer to you as "the stinger..." As in, I glance in the rear view mirror for a flash of bumble-bee yellow, and then exclaim "Our tail has its stinger. We can go now."

__________________
First:"BABY" Silver Pearl 9 May 06
Then:"SPIRIT" Black Onyx Red Line 25 Oct 06

Check out My Photos!
JohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
SunburstSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 186
My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
I would let them know, "Hey dude, We have either a bad CAT or a bad sensor"--Take your pick, but replace one or the other--I suggest the CAT first--They seem to have shown failures more than (especially if it was sprayed with unburnt fuel)--sensors--So that would be my first choice--Resetting it will not fix the problem--trust me, if a problem exists--IT WILL come back--Replace "something" is my advice--At least for "fault isolation'- there have been a thread or 2 on this subject-
I dont know why the tech seem to be afraid to work on this car or so it seems. I agree reset is just a bandaid, no worries I put 500/miles/wk so if they're trying to put me off with such a high number in miles I'll be back in a wk once it comes on obviously there is a problem. Its such a hassle to make the time to take it in every time, you would think they would be sick of seeing me monthly and just take care of the problems.

John how is your service center (I Know both are owned by the same company) but maybe the techs in ANA are a bit better?
__________________
Sunburst Yellow
The Dream Continues ...

Last edited by SunburstSky; 12-20-2006 at 04:33 PM.
SunburstSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
SunburstSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 186
My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdigiant View Post
When I drive, I refer to you as "the stinger..." As in, I glance in the rear view mirror for a flash of bumble-bee yellow, and then exclaim "Our tail has its stinger. We can go now."

__________________
Sunburst Yellow
The Dream Continues ...
SunburstSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
JohnD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,484
My Photos: (73)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunburstSky View Post
I dont know why the tech seem to be afraid to work on this car or so it seems. I agree reset is just a bandaid, no worries I put 500/miles/wk so if they're trying to put me off with such a high number in miles I'll be back in a wk once it comes on obviously there is a problem. Its such a hassle to make the time to take it in every time, you would think they would be sick of seeing me monthly and just take care of the problems.

John how is your service center (I Know both are owned by the same company) but maybe the techs in ANA are a bit better?
Can't say. Only had an oil change done at Santa Ana, and that was fine. We haven't had to hunt anything down. I have an "iffy" DIC switch on SPIRIT; I haven't scheduled that work yet, but when I do that will be my first real test of how they do with a pesky little annoying problem.
__________________
First:"BABY" Silver Pearl 9 May 06
Then:"SPIRIT" Black Onyx Red Line 25 Oct 06

Check out My Photos!
JohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:59 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.