Saturn Sky Forum banner

Key Fob "Remote"

5K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Elff 
#1 ·
Has anyone replaced the battery in the Sky R/L key fob? Mine's a yr old and under 10K mi., started having prob's back in Oct. Sometimes the remote will unlock / lock the door other times not. Same as trunk release. Seems battery to me. Searched here but couldn't find details to replace the battery. Called dealer, they said had to buy new FOB. If you got instructions please post.

#2 ·
I looked over on the back of my FOB and it definitely looks like a battery is in there (obviously), Says the number of the BATT: CR2032. Also appears to me that you would have to split the case in half for access. However I have never done this and in your case it shouldn't matter to "try" and replace the batt at this point since if it IS not replaceable, it wouldn't matter one way or the other.. How much did they quote you for replacement? Also keep in mind, that after you replace the batt (if it is possible) the FOB would have to "relearn" which car it belongs to (otherwise it won't start) and that I have no idea how it is done. :dunno: High technology, ain't it wonderful?? :D

#3 ·
The stock key fob is about the cheapest P.O.S. ever. I started having the same problems about 3 months after getting my car. So, I replaced the batteries... the metal that makes the contact points with the batteries are so thin and cheesy, that all it takes is one or two drops and that thing will break. In the end, it turned out that my alarm system was malfunctioning.:jester:

#5 ·
I have not opened the remote yet on the SKY but every car I have owned has contact problems long before the battery goes (battery should last 3-5 YEARS). To clean it open the case and where the buttons make contact us a pencil erasure to take off the carbon build up -- put it back together and you'll be like new:thumbs:

#8 · (Edited)
Rick's got it right. After you open the fob, lift the whole circuit board out. The contacts Rick is talking about are on the other side from the battery. My first fob was replace under warranty. My second one was out of warranty so I tried cleaning it. It worked. By the way Wireless, I thought you were moving down to the coast. Haven't heard anything from you for a while.

#7 · (Edited)
Mine was beginning to stop working. I changed the battery, no help. The problem was a loose solder joint.

Post part 2...the unlock button on both fobs stopped working. The connections to the battery were still OK. Battery is OK. The problem was the button.
I noticed that the rubber on the back of the button was worn and the wear marks matched the circuit board. I put a drop of glue and piece of thin foil on all the buttons, waited for it to dry. Works perfect.
I will probably need to make the repair again but I didn't have to spend $100 for a fob and a reprogramming.

#9 ·
The contacts to the circuit board in these fobs are horrible. I have fixed mine as well as a few others. I would not be surprised if the battery was just fine and the real problem was the broken solder joints holding the unit onto the circuit board. It's a 2 minute fix for anyone with a soldering iron.

#10 ·
If the FOB is working and just a weak battery...
the car will detect this.. and I aint kidding ya, the DIC will actually say "FOB Battery Low" (or something like that).

I replaced mine once. Was actually quite easy.

Problem tho is the small brackets to hold the battey are kinda frail, and after few months the broke off (inside fob) and had to get a replacement (warranty)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.