Saturn Sky Forum banner

Limited Slip Differential shot

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Robotech 
#1 ·
Well, I have read the stories about the LSD failing in our Skys. I'm one more to add to the list. Took mine in to see if the vent tube service bulletin had been done because I had grinding noise coming from the diff and the dealer is recommending the diff be changed out. Luckily I have a warranty on the car so cost isn't an issue.

I've read that the dealer, when repairing the differential, needs to put in the oil, the additive, drive the car in circles one way then the other, then change out the fluid again to truly fix the issue so that it doesn't return again.

Has anyone had the diff issue in the 07 cars and has had this repair? Of those that have, have you had reoccurring issues and how many miles has it been since the repair? Just trying to make this the only time I have to take it in for this.

#2 ·
I have been running with the top up lately, cooling down at night, and I hear a whining coming from the rear end. I am a little concerned about the noise, but no grinding. It does tend to squeal the tires when making a sharp turn out of a driveway sometimes. But it has always done that. Not sure of the cause. Mine is under warranty to, so will see how things go for awhile. Never hear it with the top down. May have been making the noise since I got it and it may be normal. But noticed the other night coming home from Temecula.

#5 ·
I owned a CTS-V that had the same differential. On the CTS-V, the differential was notorious for whining. The combination of power and suspension geometry was such that it was very easy to get wheel hop if you weren't very careful, and just one or two instances of that dramatically weakened the case on the diff. The symptom, for one reason or another, was the whining noise, typically heard around 40-50 mph.

When I bought my Sky, I didn't hear a whining, but after some relatively hard miles (but no wheel hop), mine does have a slight whine now. It's not as loud as my CTS-V was, but it's noticeable. The good news is that the noise typically doesn't lead to diff failure or anything like that, it's just annoying.

Now my throw out bearing on the other hand...

#4 ·
Robo, the car took a pretty good hit on that curb, could have done some damage at that time. It is under warranty so no worries, but that could have been a path to have it fixed by insurance.

Mine may be perfect, only had the top up twice since we got it. It may be normal sounds, as you are so close to the pumpkin, and not a lot of sound deadening behind you.

#14 ·
I too have a stock Redline LSD with 42k on it. No issues, only replaced to do a Quaife.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.