Methanol injection question - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
The thing is, I believe you are putting the cart before the horse.
The stock intercooler is failing at high level of boost. You are now adding a bigger turbo with more airflow (45lbs/min) at the top end which is going to push the stock intercooler and possibly cause it to blow.

I am curious, how much detonation are you getting. Is the Knock Retard going over 4 degrees on a regular basis? I am just trying to compare it to what we have seen on other GMPP tuned cars that are at different altitudes.

Also, You have to remove the downpipe from the old turbo to install the new turbo. IMHO that is the best time to install a Hi-Flow one.
It will prevent you from doing that work twice
It will also prevent you from needing to retune, as the minute you add the new cat, you will want to maximize it's flow for more HP.

Adding more Octane is beneficial, but I just would have done the order of stuff differently. I added the Intercooler and Solo Hi-Flow cat at the same time as my 2871 and glad I did

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
Elff is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #17 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecronis View Post
Also, on a side-note, I have my license plate zip-tied right in front of the intercooler. I suspect I'm getting a little less intercooler efficiency that way by about 10%. Bad idea? Colorado requires a front plate and I've been stopped at Schriever AFB for not having it and getting tickets for it. Placing it with zip-ties in the lower front opening solves this, but I wonder if there's performance loss?
How could it not effect it, a license plate just about covers over half of the hole, I can only imagine the turbulence behind and around that plate not allowing the full air needed to keep things cool.. Good luck with your mods..

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller11386 View Post
Also if you are going to spend money on all that, get a plate bracket and get the plate off your intercooler opening.
+2, I agree, or perhaps get an automatic license plate mechanism that was designed for Corvettes and some skyroadster members have purchased. Flip a switch the plate hides itself, flip it back the plate pops out..reports were that it works very well, something like this http://www.pfyc.com/GN1046.html..

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama

Last edited by MidniteBlues; 02-03-2013 at 11:19 AM.
MidniteBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

A plate holder and quality automotive two sided tape will run you less than $10 at autozone... 5-10 min to install it...

SF off yer back

Yer undersized stock intercooler will thank you as well.

Annnd... dental floss and goo-gone will get rid of it if you want to ditch it later on.

--

Did you do the license plate zip tie thing before, after, or at the same time as the Solo install?

I'm not tracking how an exhaust swap would cause detonation. Am I missing something?

Now... Blocking 50+% of the intercooloer opening does seem a viable culprit.

Try the plate fix and see what happens with the detonation?

Heck, just cut it off and drive it for a little while? 4 zip strips is a pretty cheap price to see if that was the cause.

---

Edit: I feel your pain. It was an AF wide thing with SF. :|

I finally stuck on the cheapy plate holder because I got tired of explaining/arguing that where I had it in the windshield was ok as long as it was secured. (I used tape, the CA statute says "affixed no lower than X" off of the ground")

There's only so much grief I will give SF... ESPECIALLY in the only Sky on base, and one of 2 black ones in the local area :|

Besides, I like the guys that keep us safe. (shrugs)

Last edited by Nova-Exarch; 02-14-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Nova-Exarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

Is there a different english in northern Cali? Because even with a gps, i could not follow that response completely

Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #20 (permalink)

doesnt matter much now. The car is up for sale. Also the plate covers more like 70% of the intercooler opening.
miller11386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #21 (permalink)

Looks like this discussion is over.

Hopefully the car sells before the detonation causes an issue

Old 02-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
Is there a different english in northern Cali? Because even with a gps, i could not follow that response completely
What confused you? :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion