Not All OEM Sky's Parts Are Alike - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Not All OEM Sky's Parts Are Alike

This is not an exceptionally big deal but if you ever considered changing out you door panels it may save you some head scratching...............

I discover this when I purchased a left side door panel for a rebuild I was doing. I purchased a "new oem" door panel from the internet that was listed to fit all years of the Saturn Sky, to that point it is true it did and will fit every year. The difference is the switch in the door panel that operates the mirror controls. It took me a while to figure out the problem because when I installed the new panel the mirror controls worked, but exactly backwards. Left was right, up was down and in was out and so on. After looking at another sky I am going to repair I finally realized the problem, it seems on the 2009 model year and (possibly and 2010) Saturn decide to swap the switch button locations. The image will show the difference. There is not a wiring problem per-say but if you plug in a earlier model than the 09 you are likely to get the same result as I did. You can not reverse the plug in because the pin alignment will be wrong. The only real fix is to reconfigure the pin placement. It does not effect the window operation in any way all of that plug is still the same. Makes me wonder what other "differences" there are.

The switch on the left is the one from the 06 to 08 models the right switch is from the 09 panel. As you can see from the second image there is no way to flip the plug to make it work even if you put the 09 plug in the 08 panel the wiring is still backwards because of the way the plug is locked when attached. (The 08 model in the second image is on the right)
Attached Thumbnails
Not All OEM Sky's Parts Are Alike-100_9768-800x600-.jpg   Not All OEM Sky's Parts Are Alike-100_9764-800x600-.jpg  
Hoosier GXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier GXP View Post
This is not an exceptionally big deal but if you ever considered changing out you door panels it may save you some head scratching...............

I discover this when I purchased a left side door panel for a rebuild I was doing. I purchased a "new oem" door panel from the internet that was listed to fit all years of the Saturn Sky, to that point it is true it did and will fit every year. The difference is the switch in the door panel that operates the mirror controls. It took me a while to figure out the problem because when I installed the new panel the mirror controls worked, but exactly backwards. Left was right, up was down and in was out and so on. After looking at another sky I am going to repair I finally realized the problem, it seems on the 2009 model year and (possibly and 2010) Saturn decide to swap the switch button locations. The image will show the difference. There is not a wiring problem per-say but if you plug in a earlier model than the 09 you are likely to get the same result as I did. You can not reverse the plug in because the pin alignment will be wrong. The only real fix is to reconfigure the pin placement. It does not effect the window operation in any way all of that plug is still the same. Makes me wonder what other "differences" there are.

The switch on the left is the one from the 06 to 08 models the right switch is from the 09 panel. As you can see from the second image there is no way to flip the plug to make it work even if you put the 09 plug in the 08 panel the wiring is still backwards because of the way the plug is locked when attached. (The 08 model in the second image is on the right)
But there is a way around this...you can take the switches from one door and change them to the other...been there..done it. All the electrical parts can be removed and reinstalled in your new door panel.
Even the switches on the steering wheel are different...beginning with the 2008.

Last edited by marlboromike; 12-25-2012 at 11:57 AM.
marlboromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion