Saturn Sky Forum banner

Opel GT Fog Light : Install Instructions?

8K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  skersfan 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have been searching the forums for a while, and haven't come across anything recent or useful as far as install instructions go. I just picked up an Opel GT Rear Fog/Reverse light. I am aware that there are multiple ways to hook it up. I have no wiring harness specifically for this light. I read somewhere that if I order the 25890034 harness from GM Parts Direct, that has the correct connectors? Is that still correct?

I even saw someone posted, (IllFLY I think?), that they posted an install thread, but I couldn't find it.

Any help with install instructions would be much appreciated!

Thanks

#4 · (Edited)
Sometimes...you have to be there to show or instruct you where to connect the wires. The best way for you to begin is to remove the valence from the rear...don't forget to remove your original backup light first...there are metal clips on each side of your valence...this may be a little difficult to remove...only because it is a clip. You may want to use a flat head screw driver...all the other clips to remove the valence are just pull. Once you have everything exposed...you will connect the positive wire of the red fog to the brake light...that is the baby blue wire. The black wire is the ground...just splice to the other black ground...now when you brake, the red fog goes on...forgot one thing. You will need an LED for the fog light. The incandescent bulb will not work without an LED. The regular back up light remains the same. This is probably confusing somewhat...that is why, sometimes, you must be there. It is quite simple...just time consuming...expect it to be about a minimum of one hour. That is because it is your first time.

#7 ·
Thanks Mike, I think I do on the Tee Shirt thread. Never got down the mountain today to talk with them. Time is closing in on that one. I should have bought his business when he was struggling. Now he can not stop them from coming in the door. Lined up for weeks to do their custom wraps.

Anyway thanks for the help sir.

#11 ·
Why not connect to the front lights so the switch operates all of them. I can hide the wire I am pretty sure, and keep it safe. Will it overload the circuit if it has a LED light.

They are still in stock at GMPartsdirect. I just ordered another light and the harness. Both in stock. Will see what I get this time. It took 2.5 weeks to get, but it finally came and was correct. Thank you for doing the research on this. I may just order the harness from the local dealer to do this one. The second set is for the future Red Redline. I have a VooDoo Blue FJ, so my need for blue are in the past. lol Being a Husker fan, everything should be RED!!!!

#12 ·
Why not connect to the front lights so the switch operates all of them. I can hide the wire I am pretty sure, and keep it safe. Will it overload the circuit if it has a LED light.
PLEASE do NOT do this. I'm so tired of the stupid idiots who drive european cars and don't know what the switches do, blinding everyone behind them. Uggh.

#14 ·
OK, the rear red light in the Opel assembly is a high-brightness FOG light. It's there to be turned on when visibility is poor (fog or heavy rain) so cars approaching from the rear are warned of your presence. It is illegal and blinding to drivers behind you, to have it on all the time. PLEASE do not wire it like that.

If you were to attach it to the brake light circuit, at least it would only be on when you're braking, not all the time.

#17 ·
No I am no where near LA. In the mountains near Idyllwild, closer to Palm Springs for a city you recognize. East of Riverside by about 30 miles.

So the Fog light rear is operated by the same switch that the front light is operated by. I am missing something here. you do not have two switches, how doe the front ones come on separately?

#19 ·
are they available and if so do you know the part number. Not sure I would want to do it that way, I have noticed that I bump my knee in that area, and have turned on the driving lights when getting in the car. Does it have an indicator light on the dash? Other than the fog/front driving lights, or are the Skys not wired for it all?

#20 ·
I located the switch and knee brace, but no harness for the front. I have ordered the rear harness from my local GM dealer as I did not want to wait 2.5 weeks from GMParts direct.

Did order another light and harness from them, no immediate need for it so it gets here when it gets here

Will wait for the first set to arrive.

Read a thread about he lights and it said the light was no brighter than the brake lights, as to having too many lights, I find that hard to believe. Some semi trucks have 20 lights across the bottom and on the mud flaps. The more light the better to an extent.

#22 ·
Good question Robotech. I doubt it but I'm going to look into this a little more this morning anyway.

#23 · (Edited)
That's a negative Robotech. Looks like there's no available loom for the rear fog switch. Looks like there are three ways to do this.

1. Jump a power wire to the front fogs to light rear fog when fronts are on.
2. Use Brown power wire in trunk wire loom to power rear fog light whenever rear lights come on.
3. Use 3rd brake light option to power rear fog as a 4th brake (LED) light.

As far as what's legal, this is a European add on so that goes out the window when this is installed.

Attachments

#24 ·
Well with two switches it is obvious TS was right on it. I had not seen the dual switch part before, Chris most likely showed it, but I just saw the one light hole for some reason. Just assumed it operated with the fronts. I will most likely run off a continuous hot wire, to independently operate it.

The only problem I have with it, is that I have bumped the fog light switch getting in and turning them on by accident. Would not want to have that happen with out a warning on the dash unit. Will have to look at that closer.

Again thanks to all for the information. For those looking to do the same thing;

Following part #s are needed, switch and knee bolster trim, from Factory OEM parts,
15773547 & 25961903

Following part #s for Opel GT light and Harness, from GMPartsdirect.com,
15258991 & 25890034.

That is all the information I can come up with in one location. Will make it easier for anyone wanting to do the modification, so it looks factory.

#25 ·
I can appreciate why there are members interested in installing this part for the uniqueness factor, but I have a rear fog light (factory installed!) on my Saab and I have literally never used it. If I was going to add it in way that's not for legal compliance, I'd do something else with it, maybe link it to the keyless entry system to flash when you lock/unlock, or something like that.

#26 · (Edited)
Yeah, with whichever way it's done, the fog light is a nice little "illegal"addition that will hopefully deter those that like to rear end Kappas with the excuse that the car couldn't be seen because they're too small/low. I'm fine with the driver behind me finding the light annoying, as long as they find it. :eek:

Opel GT - YouTube

#27 ·
I will just wait until everything gets here, and then figure out what I want to do with it. I could turn it into a running light I guess or wire it to the front fog lights. That is what I most likely will do. Or connect to the running lights and tint it, if it is to bright. More for the look and the idea of not something everyone has for me.

Did a car show Friday night and 95% of the people there had no idea what it was or how old it was. Most thought it was something brand new. The light is unique, so that makes it fun. Mine does not look like anyone else's and that is what I keep striving for.

#28 ·
I will just wait until everything gets here, and then figure out what I want to do with it. I could turn it into a running light I guess or wire it to the front fog lights. That is what I most likely will do. Or connect to the running lights and tint it, if it is to bright.
Rather than tint it, you could simply replace the bulb with a lower power one. A cheap eBay LED bulb, with the same fitting, may be a good choice.

#29 ·
I have my tail lights blacked out, so could do that. I would prefer to have it work the way it is supposed to, but it sounds doubtful that I will be able to do that. The bulb change is a good idea to TS. Blacking it out kind of destroys the idea of it for sure. Still not sure what I want to do. If it is too bright, will have to do some thing with it.

#32 ·
Well, unless someone here knows it - you would need an Opel dealership or the Opel GT service manual probably. I'm sure someone in Detroit can pull it up.

I've decided to hold off on installing right now. Until I get that wiring detail, it's not worth the effort to do a partial job. If I do get a chance to do it, I'll use it as a 4th brake light temporarily. Deploying the wiring harnesses for the rear fog will be much easier when I hydro/kinetic blue the car... but that's a next-year affair.

Thankfully mine came with bulbs!

#33 ·
I put mine in the other day. Not that big of a deal once you get over the fear of pulling the tabs out. I ran mine to original switch and just cut the wire, soldered the three together and tested it. It works fine. I seldom use the fog/driving lights, maybe once since I got it in July. I did learn that it has an affect on those driving with bright lites. A couple of hits and the dim, or turn on more lights. Then I just drive away from them. All the huge lifted trucks with their HID's are the worst, and all out here think they are desert racers with the fronts jacked and two spares in the back. God forbid they hit a curb at the mall, will knock off their led lights from their wheel wells.

#34 · (Edited)
Possibly some our European posters could locate the part number for the run from the switch to the BCM. I would be up for that for sure. I have the rear harness coming in on Monday, the one ordered from the dealership was back ordered, and the only one in the country was supposedly at FLOW. That one has been shipped to me supposedly. We will see when it gets here.

#35 ·
I am still working on this, Chris I have a guy in Germany that got me the ashtrays and lighter, inserts. I sent him an email asking if he could locate the harness for the front. If I get the information I will post it here or send you and Gabe a PM. He normally responds pretty quickly so I think I should hear about it the first of the week. Dealers maybe closed on weekends, who knows.

If he can get them I will have him pick three or four harnesses if they are even available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.